Europa League 14/15 Thread

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This was going to be made at some point anyway and it allows me to field this question. If a domestic team wins the Europa league and gets a CL spot, does that mean that 4th place gets a Europa spot? Or, did they move something around somewhere else to make room? I've tried to see if anyone has written anything about it without success.

Or on the other hand if an English team wins the europa league and finishes in the top 4 does the champions league spot extended to whoever finished 5th?

I could be wrong, but I believe the EL Winner spot is completely separate, so there could be 5 teams from England in the CL. Like I said though, I could be wrong.

Either way, We should go all out for this next year, I genuinely don't see us as competitors to the top 4.

There are now a maximum of 5 CL spots available, but only in the event of a domestic team winning the EL and finishing out of the top 4. If the EL winner finishes in the top 4 only the top 4 will get CL. In the unlikely event of both the CL and EL winners finishing out of the top 4, 4th place will miss out and go into the EL.

Pochetinno was never one too take cups seriously at Soton. Can't see him changing now.

The Club clearly values Europa as a competition. It is important for Spurs to be in Europe and I think the edict from the board will be to take the competition seriously. Especially with a Champions League spot available this season. The knockout stage doesn't start until February so if our top 4 chances look like a long shot we can go all in on Europa.

However, hopefully Pochettino can figure out how to use his squad more liberally during the group stage. You don't need all 18 points to go through. AVB playing our first team in Europa league games when we had a stranglehold on the group on Thursdays before big weekend league games was the most confusing part of his tenure IMO.

Hopefully some of our more touted youngster like Oglivie, Onomah, Oduwa, Winks, Veljokvic, Pritchard etc. will get a look in as well.

Looking forward to when we're still in the competition near the end of the season and we're still competing for fourth. Every other topic will be : " 4th place or EL?"

I want any Swedish or Scandinavian so I can go watch Spurs on an away day.

Also, I'm definitely we go all out to win it this year. It may be our best shot of achieving Champions League football as well as it being an European TROPHY. Ledley knows we haven't been spoiled with silverware lately.

Who does everyone want to draw then? I would like Frankfurt.

Not sure they're in mate? unless they won some fair play thing or something? the German teams that made it in the league are Mainz, Wolfsburg, and Gladbach. Would like a German team in the group though, Gladbach probably.

Last edited:
What if you lose in the final vs a team from your own country and they also win the domestic league. Do you get a runners up position in champions league? Or does it just revert to top 4 getting in an there is no 5th CL place?

Really hope we draw a team from spain or Southern France

A lot of the draws people are hoping for are impossible. It's a seeded draw, and even if a club has never played in Europe before they get 20% of the league's coefficient - so the likes of Swansea are seeded for their first ever European game. The only way of getting a team from Western Europe at this stage is if someone pulls off an upset and reaches this stage from the likes of Scotland or Ireland, or a less experienced club from somewhere like Belgium, Austria or Switzerland - Germans, French and Spanish are impossible.

Last season's unseeded teams, for instance, were:

Kuban Krasnodar
Zulte Waregem
Tromsø
Pandurii Târgu Jiu
Dila Gori
Atromitos
Apollon Limassol
Aktobe
Petrolul Ploiești
FH
Elfsborg
Śląsk Wrocław
Qarabağ
Minsk
Žalgiris Vilnius
Maccabi Tel Aviv
Jablonec
St. Gallen
Rijeka
Skënderbeu Korçë
Molde
Grasshopper
Vojvodina
Esbjerg
Kukësi
Slovan Liberec
Thun
Dinamo Tbilisi
Pasching
Astra Giurgiu
Nõmme Kalju

So out of 31 teams, there were 5 from central Europe, 5 from Scandinavia (including some remote teams, *cough* Tromso *cough*) and the other 21 from the East. It'll be about the same again this year.

What happens if English teams win CL & EL but neither finish in the top 4 in the EPL? Never gonna happen in the real world, but what if???:gallashmm:

There are now a maximum of 5 CL spots available, but only in the event of a domestic team winning the EL and finishing out of the top 4. If the EL winner finishes in the top 4 only the top 4 will get CL. In the unlikely event of both the CL and EL winners finishing out of the top 4, 4th place will miss out and go into the EL.

The way I see it anything before Christmas should be treated as a qualifying phase. Mostly inferior opponents against whom we can blood youngsters. If they impress, great, they can then be used for depth during the run in. The main thrust of the competition is the knockout phase. And there are always some really memorable games. Who can forget Lyon and Inter the year before last, and the almost comeback against Benfica last season. I love the Uefa cup, want us to make a go of it.

Back
Top Bottom