Chances on Beating Benfica?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We've got a chance, a fighting chance, I soooo want revenge for 62, broke Greavesie's heart that game, even more than missing out on the World Cup Final, I think he said once. Still at least he got his World Cup winners medal, we're still searching for the European Cup.
Greavesy lives just round the corner from me, see him quite often taking his dog for a walk, first time I saw him I blurted out how I supported spurs and was going that week to see them, how my dad was one of his biggest fans etc etc, I felt like a right prick but it just had to be done if you know what I mean, he was ok about it but he didn't really want to talk footy though, fair enough I reckon, legend.

Beneficial are decent. Good defence but I think we can score as we have talent in Ade and Eriksen etc. For me, the big threat is their attacking pace. I think if we field Dawson on this game then we will concede too many. Play Kaboul, or even Chiriches alongside Verts and we will win.
So it's all down to injuries and Timmy's selection whether we will win or not!

Our concern is having to juggle players EPL and the EL games.
We can't juggle too much as the injuries and lack of quality will effect the EPL results. Benfica more likely to keep better players rested from weekend games.

We got a chance if we try to play our own game, keep possession and attack. None of this typical English fighting football. No chance if we play like that.

You guys are horrible wanting us to win this...

THINK OF THE SWANS
DSCF0708copy-vi.jpg

Tough game, they don't do losing. They don't conceded too many goals. They do score plenty. Top of their league and bang on form. Should be easy.

Glad to be at home first although not sure why? - just feels right.

Greavesy lives just round the corner from me, see him quite often taking his dog for a walk, first time I saw him I blurted out how I supported spurs and was going that week to see them, how my dad was one of his biggest fans etc etc, I felt like a right prick but it just had to be done if you know what I mean, he was ok about it but he didn't really want to talk footy though, fair enough I reckon, legend.
Cheers for the post GF. Greavesie is a funny one when it comes to football, especially Spurs. It's very strange and depressing the relationship he has with the club. He's arguably the greatest living Spurs legend (though Mackay I think was the greater Spurs player) yet you won't see him at the Lane, dunno the last time he went there. All very sad.

Benfica broke both our hearts in 62, as a kid it was my first football heartbreak, and maybe still the biggest. Even winning this time wouldn't make up for that. It's probably the only realistic chance I'll see in my lifetime of us winning the European Cup (CL) and to think that happened over 50 years ago, a sad comment on what we've achieved since, it's been good, very good at times, but in the end not good enough.

Re the forthcoming game, we've got a good chance, but I must admit I think we'll lose again, the second leg at home will tip it for them.

Re style of play, I instinctively favour the 'old-fashioned' English 'fighting' style, unlike Dutchy in one of the previous posts. It'll probably be a mix of styles, but get crosses onto the box, look for set piece goals, to me that's a better route than 'possession football' which the continentals tend to be used to and adept at dealing with. Look how the goals came v Dnipro, I could give endless other examples from our Euro campaigns.

Arguably our greatest campaign was the 61/62 one, and more than once it was 'fighting, direct football' that got us goals, lump it up to Bobby Smith and he'd put the ball and keeper in the net, happy days, except that semi-final.

Last edited:
I no everyone on here likes to think we are the underdogs but have a look at at our team, our transfer spending and our wages v benefica and sorry we should be favourites to win this tie hands down..
We need to score a few goals and concede none at home and we should have this...
All this garbage about benefica is getting old...
Yes garay, gaitain, Cardozo and rodrigo arnt bad but take a look at our team...

And we had those nights as teams would literally shit themselves playng us at WHL......read any of the old biogrpahies and the amount of teams whose players melted under the WHL lights was immense, i saw a glimpse of that last night and want Benfica to feel the same when they come here......but its priced Cat C and its likely a lot of tickets will go to the usual limp melts who turn up for our premier league games ' expecting ' a win.....anyway ticket or not ticket i am off to Lisbon, chance to visit a great stadium and sing for the fucking shirt away from all this top 4 bollocks......

We are the underdogs for this tie and that is the best place to emerge from to cause an upset. They are the top of their league, but they also have huge pressures on them to win. I have it on good authority that this curse they have on them is a combination of old fashioned Voodoo and Eastern European Gipsy/Jewish chutzpah! That means all other things being equal we will win!!
: ostrich:

Cheers for the post GF. Greavesie is a funny one when it comes to football, especially Spurs. It's very strange and depressing the relationship he has with the club. He's arguably the greatest living Spurs legend (though Mackay I think was the greater Spurs player) yet you won't see him at the Lane, dunno the last time he went there. All very sad.

Benfica broke both our hearts in 62, as a kid it was my first football heartbreak, and maybe still the biggest. Even winning this time wouldn't make up for that. It's probably the only realistic chance I'll see in my lifetime of us winning the European Cup (CL) and to think that happened over 50 years ago, a sad comment on what we've achieved since, it's been good, very good at times, but in the end not good enough.

Re the forthcoming game, we've got a good chance, but I must admit I think we'll lose again, the second leg at home will tip it for them.

Re style of play, I instinctively favour the 'old-fashioned' English 'fighting' style, unlike Dutchy in one of the previous posts. It'll probably be a mix of styles, but get crosses onto the box, look for set piece goals, to me that's a better route than 'possession football' which the continentals tend to be used to and adept at dealing with. Look how the goals came v Dnipro, I could give endless other examples from our Euro campaigns.

Arguably our greatest campaign was the 61/62 one, and more than once it was 'fighting, direct football' that got us goals, lump it up to Bobby Smith and he'd put the ball and keeper in the net, happy days, except that semi-final.
Yeah, I remember his name flashing up on the jumbotron recently with a record about goals I think (you would prob know) you just want to tell him. I just got the feeling he would rather talk about his dog, I suppose he's had people want to talk endless shite (like me) all his life, now I don't go there, i have to hold myself back, when he walks past it's just "alright Jim" and some pleasantries, although I want him to know that I know, many others round here who arnt footy fans haven't got a clue!
Another little story- he was walking his retriever pup up the local disused airfield when it ran to some other walkers and jumped up them getting them all muddy, they began ranting and raving swearing etc..........until they saw who was following on behind, they knew.
Apologies if these posts are in the wrong place.

On paper out team/squad looks top notch but when it all gets down the the nitty gritty it all looks a bit of a shambles.. To me anyway. What frightens me is where are the goals gonna come from if Ade's not in the mood? Our defence is piss poor and they're probably gonna score 2 or 3. We did score 3 the other night mind you.... Against 10 men.

There's no mugs left I this EL now. That Salzberg side looked the muts nuts against Ajax and then there's Juve and the like. I think we're gonna need a good dose of luck to progress much further.

I'm just looking forward to us bringing massive numbers to Portugal and doing the club proud on TV unlike some other 2 bit clubs I dare not mention.

Nah.
Fuck the League.
Let's win a fucking cup.

:freundgoal:

It's got to the point I would rather win a cup than get CL. I honestly can't see us getting in the CL consistently in the future unless we got sheikhd. United and liverpool all have superior resources.

Unless we're in it consistently we'll never be a "top four team" so won't attract star players. Rather get the glory of a cup

I think I read somewhere that he doesn't go to Spurs games because he misses being out on the pitch too much.

As for Benfica, it's going to be one hell of a test, and I'm not sure we can rely on individual moments of brilliance. We need to play as a team throughout both legs, and our back four need to be at the top of their game.

Can't say I'm confident, as our overall performances this season have been all over the place. Still...if the crowd is buzzing at the Lane in the first leg there's always a chance.

It's got to the point I would rather win a cup than get CL. I honestly can't see us getting in the CL consistently in the future unless we got sheikhd. United and liverpool all have superior resources.

Unless we're in it consistently we'll never be a "top four team" so won't attract star players. Rather get the glory of a cup

I'm honestly not fussed on this whole jizz fest over the CL. More than likely we'll get dumped out and end up in the EL anyway. Europe is Europe. Tottenham should always be in Europe be in the EL or the CL. Until the stadium is build we're not realistically gonna make a proper attempt at going for top 4 on a regular basis year in year out. I think we're punching above our wait as it is. With Liverpool rejuvenated, the so called top 4 are looking more and more like they used to be with City joining the pack.

We've done ok at picking the best of the rest in the transfer poll over the last few years. We just have to be smart and hope our Baldini and co are on the ball.

Not confident either, they're a good side flowing with confidence atm, and even though I don't really rate Jesus he has got them playing attractive attacking football and seems to have sorted out their defensive issues too. I guess it all depends on how both teams approach the games, as it is a really congested time of the season and I'm sure they'll want to prioritise their league campaign after a Leverkusen-like collapse last year. Another critical factor will be whether or not we play Michael Dawson.
Also, those of you who've never been to Estádio da Luz are in for a surprise. It's like the Emirates with atmosphere.
The Luz is fantastic watching the Seleccao v Norway the fado ringing out
Hairs rising on the neck

Follow follow follow, Tottenham Hotspur to Torino
We are all going to see
Tottenham win number 3
When the yids are in Torinooooo

Que Sara Sara, whatever will be will be, we're going to Italy

Tottenham going to Benficaaaa, Woolwich watching Eastenderrrrs

Back
Top Bottom