Chances on Beating Benfica?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their new young keeper Oblak looks like a good talent but I'm not sure he's eligible for them in the Europa as he hasn't featured yet.

Their 'Konoplyanka' to watch out for is probaly Lazar Markovic. Not only does he share his name with energy weaponz but he's an incredibly talented player technically and has bundles of confidence. If he doesn't feature then they've also got former Real Madrid product Rodrigo in good form, along with Cardozo and one-time Ajax wunderkid Sulejmani, ex Atletico Madrid man Salvio etc etc

They certainly don't have the presence in centre midfield but Gaitan is no slouch and was the target of a few major clubs a couple of years ago. If we defend like we did against Dnipro we'll get put to the sword.

Hi,
I'm a Benfica fan and just wanted to share my enthusiasm to face one of the contenders and a great Club. I am sure it will be the best 2 games in the competition. Like our chances but I have no illusions regarding Spurs capability to beat any team. You have great players even without Bale and Modric. Let me know if you want some info on Benfica, I will be proud to share some thoughts.

All the best to you guys,
J.

Hi,
I'm a Benfica fan and just wanted to share my enthusiasm to face one of the contenders and a great Club. I am sure it will be the best 2 games in the competition. Like our chances but I have no illusions regarding Spurs capability to beat any team. You have great players even without Bale and Modric. Let me know if you want some info on Benfica, I will be proud to share some thoughts.

All the best to you guys,
J.
Which of your players is most likely to headbutt one of ours? We need to target them and provoke them.

Hi,

Heya! Welcome to the forum.

You've got a lot of young attacking talent in the side. I guess Sulejmani has never reached his potential, but which out of Rodrigo or Markovic will be the bigger star? I see you've also got Funes Mori in the squad who showed a lot of potential in his very early career in Argentina but seemed destined for mediocrity - is there hope for him?

Thank you. We have talent in the attack but the defense has proven to be our strongest asset in the last couple of months (1 goal conceded in the last 14 matches, including fixtures against Porto and Sporting, our main rivals). Regarding the offensive players, we usually play Markovic in the right (Salvio is just returning from a 6 month injury), Gaitan in the left and two strikers (Lima and Rodrigo because Cardozo has been injured and is not in top form). Clearly Markovic will be the biggest star, I am sure he will play for one of the major clubs in Europe in 2 years. Sulejmani hasn't played much and he is not part of the starting squad. Funes Mori sucks :)

I'm not too confident tbh. Glad we got through as it'll be a proper old fashion cup tie and a good day out for those making the trip but unless we step it up 2 or 3 gears I think we'll get destroyed. We didn't play bad last night but we were very lucky with the sending off.

Cheers for the info. I like Salvio - didn't realise he'd had such a long lay-off. The combination of pace down the flanks and a target man has paid off for a lot of team against Spurs so I'd expect to see a lot of action in wide areas in both legs.

Not surprised about Funes Mori sucking. I'm frankly amazed he ended up getting a decent European club but I assume he was cheap. There's such a huge production line of talent in South America, especially now that the bigger teams in Argentina seem to be full of 18-22yr olds from their youth ranks.

Who in your defence are the key players? I'm guessing Maxi, Garay and Luisao but I'm not familar with the others. If one gets injured is the cover adequate?

On a slightly different subject, William Carvalho at Sporting looks to be the real deal. I guess you're hoping Utd or Madrid come in for him at the end of the season...

Thank you. We have talent in the attack but the defense has proven to be our strongest asset in the last couple of months (1 goal conceded in the last 14 matches, including fixtures against Porto and Sporting, our main rivals). Regarding the offensive players, we usually play Markovic in the right (Salvio is just returning from a 6 month injury), Gaitan in the left and two strikers (Lima and Rodrigo because Cardozo has been injured and is not in top form). Clearly Markovic will be the biggest star, I am sure he will play for one of the major clubs in Europe in 2 years. Sulejmani hasn't played much and he is not part of the starting squad. Funes Mori sucks :)

Can someone send Timmy this info it's bound to be more in depth than our opposition scouting! Thank you sir

Salvio is amazing but he is getting fit :). Our defenders are: GK Oblak (21, very young and inexperinced but has an amazing talent and can play in Europa League); RDef Maxi Pereira (Uruguayan international, very experience but a bit slow. Silvio, portuguese international can also play) CDef1 (Luisão, 33 is having is best season ever, not very fast but amazing in the air and the leader of the squaqd) CDef2 (garay, a class player that will go to a richer (not bigger :) ) club at the end of the season) Ldef (Siqueira, brazilian who came into the squad this year, very good defender, with a lot of pace).

Regarding William Carvalho from Sporting I believe to be one of the most promising portuguese players and is the best Sporting Lisboa player. I will move to a bigger club at the end of the season (hopefully not United, I don't think they are the best club for a young player at the moment. They are playing terribly, with no confidence and with a hangover from recent years success. This is not a good environment for a player to grow).

Not confident either, they're a good side flowing with confidence atm, and even though I don't really rate Jesus he has got them playing attractive attacking football and seems to have sorted out their defensive issues too. I guess it all depends on how both teams approach the games, as it is a really congested time of the season and I'm sure they'll want to prioritise their league campaign after a Leverkusen-like collapse last year. Another critical factor will be whether or not we play Michael Dawson.
Also, those of you who've never been to Estádio da Luz are in for a surprise. It's like the Emirates with atmosphere.

Don Don We will see, don't know if he will develop into a quality player, at least the quality Benfica needs. Not like when Porto overtook us to sign Falcão :(

I'm not overly confident, especially considering the fixtures fall between Chelsea, Woolwich and Southampton. Hopefully we can see the tie off at the Lane before we even need to go to Portugal.

I'm not overly confident, especially considering the fixtures fall between Chelsea, Woolwich and Southampton. Hopefully we can see the tie off at the Lane before we even need to go to Portugal.
I think Benfica are too good a team to see off in one game. This could be one of those classic european ties, and it's got a bit of history behind it too. I think it may be a tense one, away goals may be decisive. Normally I prefer to be away first, but our away form (bar the last two) has not been too bad. For me it's about keeping the tie alive at WHL. A 0-0 would not be the worst, got to stop those away goals.

Back
Top Bottom