Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Its not dramatic at all.....its an extremely positive article that shows that Poch is considering whats best for team harmony, and who the players look up to as leaders and good influence.

Its only negative, dramatic or not to be believed by people who dislike Ade.

But the players obviously do, and so does the manager, so their bitterness will mean a big sweet fuck all in terms of this club improving.
Oh come on, that is a high-school level of drama.

I could care less at the moment about Adebayor being named vice-captain, that's not what I'm talking about. He's in terrible goal-scoring form (heck, he's in terrible form of just making shots), but I'm not one of those that's desperate for him to leave.

Quotes or no quotes, I'm absolutely chuffed Vertonghen is nowhere near the captains armband.

I've never disliked a Spurs player before, but I genuinely have no time for him.
So you have no time for him because last season he was upset about A: constant managerial upheaval, B: the team under-performing in the league, C: being played out of position for long stretches because AVB started the season without thinking that any cover at left-back was necessary, and D: periods of injury that impacted his fitness and form?

Last season was a mess. I really don't blame him much for getting upset about everything that was going on. Maybe he's not Captain material then because he wears his emotions more on his sleeve rather than being a chipper and positive "rally the team around" type of figure, but I do think that he's been harshly judged.

When we signed Vertonghen I was excited at the prospect we had bagged ourselves a seriously classy defender.

As time has gone by I have found myself disliking him, he dives in all over the place making last ditch tackles and even before AVB was chopped he looked like playing for Spurs was an inconvenience for him. That was probably down to when he was being asked to play left back which I can kind of understand but at the same time, just get on with the job.

Don't get me wrong, he is a very good defender and I am glad he's playing instead of Fazio and Chiriches but theres just something about him I don't like, its almost like he has gone backwards from his promising start, hopefully he will kick on now.

So you have no time for him because last season he was upset about A: constant managerial upheaval, B: the team under-performing in the league, C: being played out of position for long stretches because AVB started the season without thinking that any cover at left-back was necessary, and D: periods of injury that impacted his fitness and form?

Last season was a mess. I really don't blame him much for getting upset about everything that was going on. Maybe he's not Captain material then because he wears his emotions more on his sleeve rather than being a chipper and positive "rally the team around" type of figure, but I do think that he's been harshly judged.
I know you didn't ask me but I would like to point out that you stating "constant managerial upheaval" would suggest that we had a new manager every week which as you know is untrue, it's his fault he did not perform well under Tim, if I was him and I didn't like the manager I played for I'd put 100% effort onto the pitch to try and maybe get a move from said club, I would do this because I'm a winner, winner winner chicken dinner.

P.S don't rip my head off with your reply as im just stating the obvious

Don't be daft - there are 0 quotes Poch consulted the players to arrive at his decision - that's the point here.

Even if he did - the headline can read Poch overlookes [insert any first team player's name] for captain's spot

Sensationalist agenda-driven headlines, nothing more

How is this story "sensationalist"??

..........a real expose.........Andy Coulson and Rebecca Brooks are back

At the end of the day I think Jan has had his nose bloodied by the captaincy decision. My personal opinion is that he thought he would be a major player in terms of pecking order once Bale left the club. This hasn't happend, his form has dipped, his attitude has nosedived.
I Absolutley rate this guy, I really do, but I have serious reservations about his commitment. If he can turn the clock back in terms of form and attitude, ie: his performance against England around the same time as we signed him, I would be very confident about him edging towards "earning" the captains armband. Problem we have though is that he is obviously a major moody cunt when things don't go his, or the teams way, and instead of using the negatives to build on positives, he just sulks. Maybe this has something to do with his decision not to sign a new contract, who know's, only him and his agent can shed any light on that.
The other major problem we have with him is his age. 27 and still well thought of by just about every major club in Europe, who could blame him if his head was turned by a club with genuine champions league credentials. As fans we should be used to this scenario by now, raw talent, built up and sold on because the team we all love is basically treading water. This is not the players fault either before you jump all over that. The club has come a long way in the last 20 years, I really think we are where we belong in terms of achievement, which is in the top 3 of the chasing pack of which is the top 4.
I really don't want to come across as ageist, but I understand totally the attitude of the late teen, early twentie's fan. All they would of known is the "relative" success of staying within touching distance of the perennial well known champions league qualifiers, they wouldn't necessarily remember the good old bad old days of having a totally shite season/seasons but then getting a performance to be proud of and being totally against form when coming up against the Goons. Players like Verts will be well aware of our history, especially the last twenty years, he has been with us for two and a bit seasons, and has seen three managers come and go,(just missing out on Redknapp, to boot), this can't be good for an obviously talented player to come to terms with. It's all about stability for Spurs for the next couple of seasons, at least. Let's show the financial commitment to the present crop of players, not only in terms of wages offered, but also in players purchased, we really aren't that far away. We just need to be more acertive in the market.
Oh yeah, and get shot of that fuckin useless CUNT Baldini.

As I said earlier its only a negative story to some because of the Ade part...Im sure it would be a great article had he picked Jan or Capoue as third vice captain.

Despite the actual fact that Ade is our third captain, the story "needs quotes" to prove how Poch picked him.

I guess the logic here is "because I hate Ade, the squad must too".

Jesus wept.

More shit stirring by the media then.
Poch also overlooked 20-odd other players for the captaincy. Why highlight just one of them?

Particularly devious this one as it's suggesting he's not popular amongst the other players. I'm assuming that if poch did consult all the players about who should be captain then jan was also asked his opinion?
Maybe he doesn't want to be captain anyway? A complete non story

Because it has chosen one player in specific (out of 22) and thrown a negative spin on something which in turn offers 0 proof it actually happened (i.e. ask the players to decide)

I didnt really read that angle to be honest...more about Poch asking the squad for me, which can only be good

I agree with you it's good. But the article itself-the headline is about jan being overlooked. That is the angle they've gone for.
If the title was - poch consulted squad over captaincy. Or harmony in spurs camp as squad rubber stamp captain choice I would see it as a more positive piece.

I have no time for him because, simply put, he is a massive twat.

He was done for me after Anfield. Feigning injury because he didn't fancy it.

Playing like shit because he doesn't like a manager? Be a professional.

Being played out of position? Look at Gylfi & Holtby. They never played where they would like. But they got on with it.

Some of his bollocks would be easier to stomach if he was top class. He's been average for over a year.

Adebayor-fashion-captain-shirt-500x865.jpg

We do love to hate our own players do we, judging them based on articles in the press (we loathe the press but only when it doesnt help our point scoring) and the way their shoulders are positioned.

But we ignore the fact that up untill now he has never said anything negative about club or fans, only about Timmeh and we all played that game.

double standards.

Back
Top Bottom