Captain

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

who is going to be ours going forward?
Dawson is a bit fucked. Kaboul is unconvincing - injured and looking a bit shit
Ade is questionalble commitment-wise and maybe a divisive personality
Lennon - longest serving but going backwards in terms of ability/form.
Vertonghen - I suspect he'll be gone
Has to be Kyle Walker then?
We seem to have a team lacking leaders.

It's a really good question. I think we've really suffered in recent years from not having a real experienced Captain on the field, someone who is passionate and will rollock the lads when they need it.

In all fairness even King (God Love Him) IMO didn't have all the on-field leadership skills we needed, thankfully he made up for it with passion, commitment and raw talent.

The answer at the moment is no-one truly stands out. Lloris maybe? He's the French captain (why do we never sing France's Number One?). I think that we need to bring in that sort of player.

Bentaleb? :adegrin:

Hugo Lloris

/thread
As much as he's a good candidate if not the best personality to do the job, I really don't want to see our captain in goal. The reason being is because in the centre of the park he will be able to command the strikers as well as the defenders.

Hm. So ( moley moley ) you are saying there should only ever be one on-field leader? I have to say I respectfully disagree with this. Your skipper must be the player who is able above all others to encourage, motivate, chastise and support players as necessary through a game (not an exhaustive list). It of course helps if that person is a charismatic or symbolic leader, some choose to lead by example while others have less footballing ability and/or physical presence but ar emore tactically-aware.

Players exist on a spectrum, it would be wholly unreasonable to expect every man-jack of them to contribute equally to the success of the team and in leadership terms would not work either. Typically your youngsters require more on-field guidance than your old heads, but that does not mean your oldest player should be your captain. No, where I'm going with this is that in their way each player has the responsibility to lead in some way shape or form, the skipper should be the stand-out example of this.

For me - and mindful we have been blessed/spoiled with Ledley King - there is only one candidate and that would be Lloris in the current squad. No reason it could not be Kaboul or Dawson, except Big K is more oft injured/suspended and Daws is something of a spent force IMVHO.

Hm. So ( moley moley ) you are saying there should only ever be one on-field leader? I have to say I respectfully disagree with this. Your skipper must be the player who is able above all others to encourage, motivate, chastise and support players as necessary through a game (not an exhaustive list). It of course helps if that person is a charismatic or symbolic leader, some choose to lead by example while others have less footballing ability and/or physical presence but ar emore tactically-aware.

Players exist on a spectrum, it would be wholly unreasonable to expect every man-jack of them to contribute equally to the success of the team and in leadership terms would not work either. Typically your youngsters require more on-field guidance than your old heads, but that does not mean your oldest player should be your captain. No, where I'm going with this is that in their way each player has the responsibility to lead in some way shape or form, the skipper should be the stand-out example of this.

For me - and mindful we have been blessed/spoiled with Ledley King - there is only one candidate and that would be Lloris in the current squad. No reason it could not be Kaboul or Dawson, except Big K is more oft injured/suspended and Daws is something of a spent force IMVHO.
I agree with your description of a leader, however I think an on field player can influence better due to placement than a keeper, although out of our current bunch it would be Lloris due to his examples.

Now if you look at him, he's a cracking player if not the best in the world. Can he organise his defence? Is the organising of the defence his fault or are there underlying issues there?

Now if you look at him, he's a cracking player if not the best in the world. Can he organise his defence? Is the organising of the defence his fault or are there underlying issues there?

If ever there was a factor for our occasional porous displays, it wasn't Hugo. Our back line was racked with injuries, no consistency, and I'll frankly blame some of the midfield choices/positioning for some of this as well. We had no steady core at the back to build a foundation on, it was like a crap shoot who was going to start at the back on any given game usually, with Walked having been the most consistent. That's been out the window now for a time as well.

I tend to agree with moley moley . While Hugo may have a great deal of the qualities a player needs, his position is restricted on the field by virtue of his role. That's just fact. I wouldn't blame him for defensive errors, but a captain needs to be have access to the whole side to have impact. I don't see how a player can really be an effective captain if he's screaming from the back all the time. That's just my take.

Also, I'd rather give the armband to someone who might be with us for a good few years, rather than a short termer. With Hugo making comments earlier this year about not knowing what he'll be up to at the end of the season, I'm not convinced he'll be sticking around much more than another season.

As much as he's a good candidate if not the best personality to do the job, I really don't want to see our captain in goal. The reason being is because in the centre of the park he will be able to command the strikers as well as the defenders.
Plenty of great captains have been goalkeepers. They are the rock of the team, and the group effort can go by the waistside if the 'keeper is looking shaky.

He's France's captain anyway!

Plenty of great captains have been goalkeepers. They are the rock of the team, and the group effort can go by the waistside if the 'keeper is looking shaky.

He's France's captain anyway!
I'm not saying it's not done nor can it be utilised. I am saying that captaincy would be more effective being a player in the middle of the park.

If ever there was a factor for our occasional porous displays, it wasn't Hugo. Our back line was racked with injuries, no consistency, and I'll frankly blame some of the midfield choices/positioning for some of this as well. We had no steady core at the back to build a foundation on, it was like a crap shoot who was going to start at the back on any given game usually, with Walked having been the most consistent. That's been out the window now for a time as well.
Hence underlying issues.

There have been plenty of great captains in goals - not to mention he wears France's armband already

Lloris is out as leading candidate because there is no one else.....but to be honest, he can be as shambolic as the next man. Is doing a good interview enough?

Maybe he needs to learn to organize his defence before he can start geeing up players 90 yards away from him.

Back
Top Bottom