Can we all agree...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We are not title contenders not enough goals in the side hence the draws.

But if levy is crafty has a word in bales considerable shell like. And could pull off the coup of bale returning in Jan. Then suddenly all bets are off. If bale played in that team yesterday that's a 4-1 victory no sweat.

It's a fantasy but fuck me we would be a title chasing side in a stroke.

I know that levy follows me on this forum so levy get yourself off to Madrid

We're gonna win the league. :pochbye:

It's ours to lose...

In fact I think we're building a dynasty here.

p5kO4n8.gif

We are not title contenders not enough goals in the side hence the draws.

But if levy is crafty has a word in bales considerable shell like. And could pull off the coup of bale returning in Jan. Then suddenly all bets are off. If bale played in that team yesterday that's a 4-1 victory no sweat.

It's a fantasy but fuck me we would be a title chasing side in a stroke.

I know that levy follows me on this forum so levy get yourself off to Madrid

I was thinking exactly the same thing, if we had a player like him in this team, someone who can make that magic happen to turn a draw into a win, with the league being as weak as it is this year......

:levywhoa:

Back in reality, when City and The Scum get their missing players back then then the league will be a very different prospect.

ok. a different question.

what would u take now/settle for?

id take 4th now.

would the ones saying we can realistically win the title say no to 4th now?

deal or no deal?

ok. a different question.

what would u take now/settle for?

id take 4th now.

would the ones saying we can realistically win the title say no to 4th now?

deal or no deal?

The title aspirations are talked about with the tongue rooted firmly in the cheek Scotty me old mucker.

I'd chop your hand off for fourth, third or even second right now.

But remember; the higher we finish, the better the chance that those shitbags will finish below us.

Are we better than Leicester probably
Are we better than man u possibly
Are we better than Woolwich possibly but they have 5 points on us
Are we better than city no despite the beating it's a no.

So 4th is achievable so is 3Rd second is not ridiculous but we would need a lot of things to go our way with strong seasons from our competitors below West ham Southampton and Liverpool

Title is a huge ask hence the huge price but a brillant January window might bring the odds down but for me 3Rd is a realistic target.

Funny how this debate evolved. Someone says "100/1 for Spurs to win the league seems a value bet", a couple of people agree and cite the patchy consistency of the clubs above us, our long unbeaten run and the generally unpredictable nature of this season to date as factors in why we may indeed have a better than 1 per cent (1 per cent!) chance of winning the title.

This is somehow interpeted to mean "OMG Spurs iz gonna win the league nailed on fact!!!1111!!!"

No matter how painstakingly you couch a statement with qualifications and mitigations, there will always be people who are either too lazy or argumentative to bother taking them on board.

It's almost like this is the internet or something.

Winning the title is hugely unlikely. We don't have the manpower to compete with City, despite the shagging we gave them. Draws against Stoke and Swansea will always hamper our season. I reckon we have a good shout of hitting top 4. But even that will be a tough ask.

We need to start burying teams when we are ahead of them. How many times have we had a draw from winning positions this season so far?

For some reason, I cannot explain, your comment about burying teams, made me think of how we scored a lot of goals late last season. If memory serves me, we only really started doing this in the last half of the season (is my memory off?). I just had a quick look, and we had 24 points from the first 16 matches last season, which is 1.5 points a match. I made the cut there, because that's when the EL group stage ended (but included a win vs. Swansea after the last match). Which means 40 points in the last 22, about 1.82 points a game.

Make of it what you will. I could just be random. Could be the players getting more used to Poch's style. Personally, my take is that it might just be a combination of playing with on equal terms (ie. no thursday night football for us) and Poch's tough as shit training regime kicking about the time the festive schedule rolls around.

It bodes well, and I'll be excited to see where we're at when the EL knockout stages comes around February. And to the point, you're actually making, if we can replicate last season ('s last half) and use our better form to kill off games, rather than claw back a draw or late win, then it's looking good.

Here are our fixtures up to New Year.

Spammers (H)
Chavs (H)
West Brom (A)
Newcastle (H)
Southampton (A)
Norwich (H)
Watford (A)
Everton (A)

It's not a bad run of games. We're bound to drop points, Spammers at home and Saints away will be tricky.

Arsenals stand out game is City at home, but we know they will drop points on the road. Utd have to go to Leicester and Stoke. Leicester have a stinker of a run, will be games thick and fast with a small squad.

I've been mucking about with this table calculator:

Premier League - Table calculator

I can see the table being City, Arse, Utd, Spurs by the end of the year.

Last edited:
For some reason, I cannot explain, your comment about burying teams, made me think of how we scored a lot of goals late last season. If memory serves me, we only really started doing this in the last half of the season (is my memory off?). I just had a quick look, and we had 24 points from the first 16 matches last season, which is 1.5 points a match. I made the cut there, because that's when the EL group stage ended (but included a win vs. Swansea after the last match). Which means 40 points in the last 22, about 1.82 points a game.

Make of it what you will. I could just be random. Could be the players getting more used to Poch's style. Personally, my take is that it might just be a combination of playing with on equal terms (ie. no thursday night football for us) and Poch's tough as shit training regime kicking about the time the festive schedule rolls around.

It bodes well, and I'll be excited to see where we're at when the EL knockout stages comes around February. And to the point, you're actually making, if we can replicate last season ('s last half) and use our better form to kill off games, rather than claw back a draw or late win, then it's looking good.

Every season our form improves over Christmas and January when the Europa has a break, but other teams have to play twice every week.

Unfortunately this also coincides with the January transfer window, and so the board expect the form to continue and don't improve the squad.

The Europa kicks off again in mid-February and by mid-March we've cocked up everything.

Here are our fixtures up to New Year.

Spammers (H)
Chavs (H)
West Brom (A)
Newcastle (H)
Southampton (A)
Norwich (H)
Watford (A)
Everton (A)

It's not a bad run of games. We're bound to drop points, Spammers at home and Saints away will be tricky.

Arsenals stand out game is City at home, but we know they will drop points on the road. Utd have to go to Leicester and Stoke. Leicester have a stinker of a run, will be games thick and fast with small squad.

I've been mucking about with this table calculator:

Premier League - Table calculator

I can see the table being City, Arse, Utd, Spurs by the end of the year.
All bets are off in derby games, but with Chavs in a smoldering wreck every one of those are winnable. Southampton is tricky but I like our recent performances against them.

I believe we've got further to go in the league table.

Back
Top Bottom