Can we all agree...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

You took comfort in the fact we didn't win the NLD?....literally what are you doing here?

No dude, the only plus side to a game which we really deserved all three points from was the hope that a draw may just stop people from saying we have a title challenge. But if didn't, so it's actually pretty irrelevant.

I'm just shocked that people can be so wildly optomistic. It's just silly to think we can win the league this year, because that's what you're saying when you say Spurs can challenge for the title.

... Sin bin and one week ban for any poster suggesting we will challenge for the title this year?

I took comfort in the fact that we didn't win today when I realised that the board would be littered with "title contender" nonsense if we did, and then I see people are posting this elsewhere and I'm thinking - FFS! Our title challenge is as strong as West Ham's, Leicester's and Crystal Palace's. That said, those clubs and ours probably have a batter shot at the title then Chelsea this year.

So yeah - if you (the poster) suggest were going to challenge for the title I am beg repoint you and requesting you hit the sin bin. Anyone else with me?

I think it only started when goonerclaude suggested we might be in with a shot.

I don't think deep down anyone really expects that. However the league doesn't have an outstanding team IMO and going back to the summer window had we got an extra striker and extra DM of real quality we may have had a squad with a outside chance given how excellent Poch has managed us.

As it is I don't think our depth is good enough for that but we may have a good top four chance injuries permitting.

Something you should consider -betting odds are not about x teams actual chances of winning a league, cup, match or a corner. It's based on how people have actually laid their stakes, and nothing more.
Not quite.

Odds are adjusted using many algorithms including, as you say, what people have laid. But also liabilities, likelihoods and historical influences.*

If it was based on ''nothing more'' that what people have actually laid, how would they open markets in the first place?

*worked in Ladbrokes trading division for a year.

So why are you outraged by Spurs' title odds?

"I'm calling it. Spurs to win the PL, 100/1 with SkyBet. A tentative tenner and adding to it while the price remains absurdly generous.

4th favourites behind Sheikhty(10/11), some South London team we've just schooled (13/8) and the footballing colossus that is Manchester United (7/1).

Fill your boots, each way, clearly."

Premier League Winner Betting Odds | Oddschecker

This is the post that I think you have taken exception to. Am I claiming that Spurs will win the League, or am I claiming that 100/1 against us doing so is generous?

Outrage? I'm not sin binning anyone, or indeed disagreeing with anyone.

I think us winning the league is highly unlikely.

But you are suggesting a temporary forum ban for anyone who is optimistic enough to think otherwise? I can't get behind that. If someone wants to be delusional, I'd much prefer it to be on the positive end of the scale to the negative.

The 5 people who disagreed with the OP - do you genuinely believe we can win the title this season?

LOLLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOL

I think us winning the league is highly unlikely.

But you are suggesting a temporary forum ban for anyone who is optimistic enough to think otherwise? I can't get behind that. If someone wants to be delusional, I'd much prefer it to be on the positive end of the scale to the negative.
Think it was mean't as a bit of a joke

2 good results vs West Ham and Chelsea would put us in a very strong position heading into December as we don't face any other top 6 team until City in February. Who knows where we could be then? Obviously we won't beat everyone we're expected to but this squad seem very difficult to beat so I wouldn't put it past them to remain consistent throughout that stretch. The unbeaten streak will probably end soon but it doesn't really matter because the squad now has such a clear ethos about what they're all specifically doing on the pitch and it reflects in them only losing once so far. Although we have been quite lucky with injuries in key areas so let's hope that continues.

My goal for this season was always Champions League football and that's what it still is... we're not title challengers but we should still be aiming to finish as high as possible. I think 3rd/4th is up for grabs and if we can finish there it would be amazing. That would secure CL football for our last ever season at WHL. That would be incredible.

Some people never fucking learn. We were title challengers in Harry's final season and we know how that turned out. A decent run and people get carried away. Every. Fucking. Time.:pochfacepalm:

Will we win the league from this position? Almost certainly no. Would we if we had 99 further attempts from the same position? Almost certainly yes. Hence 100/1 is a value bet.

Jenas is on the BBC site today saying we'll definitely finish in the top 4. OK, he's not exactly an impartial outsider but then again he's not exactly Paul Merson. Gary Neville was gushing about us all the way through the match.

We've spanked the league leaders and outplayed the form team at their place. But how we've been playing isn't the most important factor - fact is none of the teams above us this season look different class right now, which is a first. Saying this is our best chance to win it in years isn't deluded optimism, it's just a plain and sober reflection of how things stand at this particular time. It also isn't the same as saying we will win it.

Yes, we might lose to the Spammers and then those 100/1 odds will look much less appealing. But we haven't yet, so until then let's at least enjoy idly speculating on a title shot while it doesn't seem utterly and embarrassingly ridiculous to do so. There haven't been many such moments in the last 50 years.

All this positivity is ruining my usual negative outlook?!

Can we not just enjoy the moment? I know that might mean a degree of hyperbole and over enthusiasm from our normally "level headed" fanbase and that's not the default position, but come on!! If you can't relish in the highs when they come then what's the point in enduring the lows.

I'll take the press who are hyping us up with a pinch of salt, i like to see them giving us credit but we all know they line you up to shoot you down. And I'm sure there will be plenty of time to have your monday morning grumbles and "i told you so's" at some point in the season don't worry m8's.

What I expect to see from us this season is exactly what we are doing now, drawing games that we have dominated for large portions. This is happening because we are a young and "new" team. These draws will not turn into wins, some like Anderlecht and Man U will turn into losses too.

Whilst it is actually frustrating at the end of games only to have a draw, just think back to how that felt at the begging of the season when drawing our first 3 games, whilst it didn't feel great no one (well nearly no one) was throwing the toys out of the pram as it was clear we were not shit. In fact the micro penis element of our support, despite their insecurities going into the season could also see we were not shit.

The foundations are clearly in place, the ego's, the gutless, the spineless and the shit have been fucked off. In their place we have a team that play for the shirt, for each other and for us. We are gaining an identity and are beginning to feel proud of our club again. I also like our style of play. I didn't think we had a chance of top four when the season kicked off, I now think we might have a shout given the beautiful implosion of the chavs and the fact that we are not shit.

Please don't get ahead of yourselves, you don't want to look like bin dippers. Looking forward to end of season meltdown when we don't make top four.

Some people never fucking learn. We were title challengers in Harry's final season and we know how that turned out. A decent run and people get carried away. Every. Fucking. Time.:pochfacepalm:
I think we have a young side who are starting to believe in themselves: If they get a big roll on then who knows ??

We have an international break now, lets just watch Dier, Kane, Lloris, Alli, Lamela, Eriksen, Dembele, Vertonghen, Alderweireld, Walker, Son all pick up long term injuries.... crickey, by the end of the week only Rose might not be a full international in our starting XI.

... Sin bin and one week ban for any poster suggesting we will challenge for the title this year?

I took comfort in the fact that we didn't win today when I realised that the board would be littered with "title contender" nonsense if we did, and then I see people are posting this elsewhere and I'm thinking - FFS! Our title challenge is as strong as West Ham's, Leicester's and Crystal Palace's. That said, those clubs and ours probably have a batter shot at the title then Chelsea this year.

So yeah - if you (the poster) suggest were going to challenge for the title I am beg repoint you and requesting you hit the sin bin. Anyone else with me?

I hadnt actually thought or even heard anyone suggest us as title contenders till i saw this post so in accordance with your wishes I'm giving you a vote for the sinbin.

Something you should consider -betting odds are not about x teams actual chances of winning a league, cup, match or a corner. It's based on how people have actually laid their stakes, and nothing more.

That's actually bollocks.

Back
Top Bottom