Disloyalty confessions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Most of you won't get this but here goes - I used to be a big Toronto Maple Leafs fan. They last won the Stanley Cup in 1967. I hated the Montreal Canadiens. After 1967, particularly the 70s & 80s, the Leafs became so shit to watch, I started supporting the Canadiens, who became a really exciting team to watch.

This would be akin to switching allegiance from the Spurs to the Goons.
Didn't you say you're originally from Ottawa?
:gallas:

Well........ my Hawks hadn't won it since '61. I sat through some really bad hockey for years, but my loyalty never wavered. Then in 2010 (after Dollar Bill Wirtz died, thank Christ) I got to go crazy when WE won the Stanley Cup. I never thought I'd see it in my lifetime. Same with the White Sox, they hadn't won the World Series since 1917. In the early '80s I couldn't get their games on TV, so every night I'd sit there listening to the Sox game on a little transistor radio. And at the time they were 29 games out of first place. It made 2005 mean even that much more to me. So when the Leafs finally put an end to the longest Cup drought in the NHL, aren't you going to wish you'd have suffered through it to the end?
Hate for this to be a hockey dick measuring contest but I'm born and raised Kings. Prior to 2012 we were the shittiest of shittiest of shit for pretty much ever.

Most disloyal thing I've done is buy a Man Utd shirt when I was in school, about 11/12. I liked that they would beat Woolwich to the title, I also had the Man Utd TV channel which I used to watch since I just wanted to see some football so I felt some good vibes towards them.

No excuse for it though really, I'd slap the young me. .

Made worse by the fact that I started hating them not long after (Mendes dissallowed goal) and now spend much time arguing with Man Utd fans why Fergie is overrated.

Shame on me.

Sitting in the Allianz Arena watching the Audi Cup. My mate turned to me and said: "That Dele Alli is pretty decent" My reply "Doubt he'll get a game this season"

Hate for this to be a hockey dick measuring contest but I'm born and raised Kings. Prior to 2012 we were the shittiest of shittiest of shit for pretty much ever.
Kings and Hawks have had some major playoff battles in recent years. My 11 year old daughter is the biggest Blackhawks fan on earth. Two years ago you made my little girl cry. I hope you're happy.

Kings and Hawks have had some major playoff battles in recent years. My 11 year old daughter is the biggest Blackhawks fan on earth. Two years ago you made my little girl cry. I hope you're happy.
You can thank us for a valuable sporting lesson. It happened with me as a 10 year old in '93 with those bitch ass Canadiens.
:walkercry:

Yeah, 1967, 1967, 1967! The Senators weren't formed until the 1990s. And they weren't part of the original 6.:disdain:
Ah right, '67 :adethumbup:

Well back to your original post on it, I'm with CousinEddie when the Leafs do end up winning it, it's going to be the best feeling on earth if you would have stuck with them.

Ah right, '67 :adethumbup:

Well back to your original post on it, I'm with CousinEddie when the Leafs do end up winning it, it's going to be the best feeling on earth if you would have stuck with them.
To be honest, we all go through phases. My first wife would make me watch the Cowboys play. Some guy at a party said this was a marriage made in heaven. The CBC would broadcast Wednesday night hockey games that started at 8 PM, at 8:30 PM. We couldn't wait for the game to come on. And with only 6 teams, every game counted, it seemed.

Now I really don't care about the Cowboys and Leafs, but Tottenham is another issue. Tottenham is all I care about.

Not quite. Can any geezer on this forum explain why only 17,000 people were attending matches at WHL in the 1970s when the stadium had a capacity of 56,000? I have the programs. What were the other 40,000 people doing? I always wondered about that.

(In late August 1967, I was there to see Spurs demolish the Hammers 5-1 in front of the largest crowd of that season.)

Not quite. Can any geezer on this forum explain why only 17,000 people were attending matches at WHL in the 1970s when the stadium had a capacity of 56,000? I have the programs. What were the other 40,000 people doing? I always wondered about that.

(In late August 1967, I was there to see Spurs demolish the Hammers 5-1 in front of the largest crowd of that season.)
Average gate in 71/72 season was 36,000. When we got relegated they went up. So that's bollocks.

goes to the basement... Couldn't find exactly what I wanted but keep an eye on the retro thread...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom