Disloyalty confessions

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Forgive me Father, for I have sinned...
When I was a kid, I spent some time at Gt Ormond St Hospital.
Just before Christmas 1985, I was recovering from an op, and was still quite heavily sedated... coming round to the sight of Kenny Sansom (who was holding my hand) Viv Anderson who, (my Mum later informed me) was crying , and a very young Martin Keown sat around my bed.
I honestly thought I'd died and gone to hell.
They asked me what team I supported, I meekly told them Spurs, and they laughed. Worst thing is, I let them sign my autograph book (we all had them in those days) which to my shame, I have kept!

But it's OK, 'cos their '85 team was shit, so I didn't feel too bad about fraternising with the enemy!

So Help Me Lord!
conspiracy-keanu.jpg

I have a higher proportion of Woolwich supporting mates than I do Spurs :(

I'm also in this position. Out of my group of close mates. 75% are Woolwich. 0% are spurs. I wouldn't mind, but i live in fucking Nottingham.

It makes me even more devoted to Spurs knowing how glorious it will feel when we inevitably rise above them and stick their highly commemorated "shadow" up their arse.

It was a lot more than that, and that was by page 4/5.

What got my goat more, is the fact that somebody has switched teams due to a lack of success, says it all really...

Each to their own, I guess.
Says it all.... about what, exactly?
SoCal and I haven't switched a sporting allegiance in our lifetime. (No offense Geoff, but you do seem to hop around a lot :))

I have bet against Spurs on multiple occasions. I know some people see that as heresy, but I don't see a problem with it myself. I do it so that I have some consolation if we fuck up - it doesn't stop me supporting us in any way whatsoever. Losing away at Stoke hurts a little bit less if your ticket, train and beer have just effectively been paid for. And of course, if we win then I don't care that the bet's cost me a few quid, because fuck it, we won!
The logic and thinking behind it makes total (financial) sense... i've just never been able to bring myself to bet against Spurs... 'cos I'd think it was all my fault if we did lose!

Lived in Dubai for 2 years - unfortunately had no choice but to fly on Emirates when we came home as wife's company booked the flights...

Says it all.... about what, exactly?
SoCal and I haven't switched a sporting allegiance in our lifetime. (No offense Geoff, but you do seem to hop around a lot :))

I don't want to get into a slinging match and derail the thread, but since you asked, two things.

Firstly, you're supporting a guy who has switched teams akin to changing from Spurs to Woolwich. I mean, wtf, is that even possible?

Secondly, a lot, and I'm not saying all, but a lot of Americans do not share the same loyalty, love, frenzied passion, that we over here do for our clubs. I say this with spending near 2 years living in the U.S. It's a pastime for a lot of those folks, and isn't in their DNA to posses lifelong traits of character that I have just mentioned.

A lot of the support is materialistic and frankly, just something to do. For example, my brothers mate went to USC, or somewhere, wherever reggie bush went to school. On his first day he went to introduce himself to his dorm neighbour and upon entering he was greeted with Norwich City merchandise displayed literally everywhere in the room. Green and yellow bedspread, posters, lamps you name it, if the club shop sold it he'd bought it. Now fair play to the lad, often my brothers mate would hear him stay up or wake up in the wee small hours of the night and watch Norwich play. Awesome commitment, I admit.

This confused my brothers mate, as he knew the guy had never been to the UK never mind Norwich, so he asked the Norwich fan why he supports the club. His answer...'I like the Canary on the badge, bro'.

Its a pastime, not a livelihood. I mean one day, when that chap decides he likes owls more than canaries, odds on his room will be covered in blue and white.

It was a lot more than that, and that was by page 4/5.

What got my goat more, is the fact that somebody has switched teams due to a lack of success, says it all really...

Each to their own, I guess.
If you read my post carefully, you'll see that it had to do with a preference of playing style, boring versus exciting. Of course, you could infer that the preference is a proxy for losing versus winning, but it had to do with style, and isn't that what Danny Blanchflower said?

If you read my post carefully, you'll see that it had to do with a preference of playing style, boring versus exciting. Of course, you could infer that the preference is a proxy for losing versus winning, but it had to do with style, and isn't that what Danny Blanchflower said?
Ah yes, but traditionally Spurs fans have favoured exciting, attacking football. Now we're all wanking over our defensive record. Also, when the scum were playing all the football a few years ago l didn't see anyone jumping ship.

I don't want to get into a slinging match and derail the thread, but since you asked, two things.

Firstly, you're supporting a guy who has switched teams akin to changing from Spurs to Woolwich. I mean, wtf, is that even possible?

Secondly, a lot, and I'm not saying all, but a lot of Americans do not share the same loyalty, love, frenzied passion, that we over here do for our clubs. I say this with spending near 2 years living in the U.S. It's a pastime for a lot of those folks, and isn't in their DNA to posses lifelong traits of character that I have just mentioned.

A lot of the support is materialistic and frankly, just something to do. For example, my brothers mate went to USC, or somewhere, wherever reggie bush went to school. On his first day he went to introduce himself to his dorm neighbour and upon entering he was greeted with Norwich City merchandise displayed literally everywhere in the room. Green and yellow bedspread, posters, lamps you name it, if the club shop sold it he'd bought it. Now fair play to the lad, often my brothers mate would hear him stay up or wake up in the wee small hours of the night and watch Norwich play. Awesome commitment, I admit.

This confused my brothers mate, as he knew the guy had never been to the UK never mind Norwich, so he asked the Norwich fan why he supports the club. His answer...'I like the Canary on the badge, bro'.

Its a pastime, not a livelihood. I mean one day, when that chap decides he likes owls more than canaries, odds on his room will be covered in blue and white.
I'm not trying to derail the thread either, but.......
I'm not sure what you mean when you say I'm 'supporting' him? In my response to his post about switching teams I said I'm not sure how he could do that. Personally, it just isn't in my DNA. That being said, I'm not calling him out as a douchebag either. He seems like a decent guy and whom he supports is his business. Doesn't mean I have to agree with it.
I'm loyal to all of my American sports teams, have been since birth. Every team is from Chicago, the city of my birth and a two hour drive from where I live now. Choosing a football team on your side of the pond wasn't as easy, considering logistics obviously weren't in play. I took my time and made an educated decision, I didn't go the route of your buddy's roomie. I didn't choose Spurs because I like the cockerel (although I do, it's on my arm for eternity). All I'm saying is judging all Yanks on the actions of a few is very stereotypical. 'All Indians walk single file. At least the one I know does'.

With solid evidence and a well thought out theory I must admit I now agree with you 100% on Americans and their faux commitment. Bunch of wankers.

Do you know what mate. Fair play. This was a confession thread, and I've gone all holier than thou. I'd make a terrible priest.

I've got a bit too much spare time at the moment, and if I wasn't arguing in here, I'd be arguing in front of the mirror.

No offence, as said each to their own.

In my case, the first book I borrowed from the library was by Jimmy Greaves, so pure chance that I supported Tottenham.

Back
Top Bottom