Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Prof on COYS:

Not only working on gk and mid. Initial list of cb targets cut down to those approved by Ange. Two approaches made so far - one young and promising, the other a little older and more experienced. If they seem doable we’ll negotiate. If not we’ll move on. Would like 3 new defenders for the squad - number depends on outgoings. Ange bullish he can coach up some of our youngsters and a few of our under performers which is music to the boss’s ears. Lol

some bullshit itk

depressing read if thats the aim this summer
Is he more or less BS than other ITK bullshitters?

I push back against "the money spent hasn't been the issue" to the extent that the squad refreshing and reconstruction has been at every moment insufficient to the scale of the problem created by the previous shocking and irresponsible underinvestment.

The fullness of the last decade still represents total negligence as to the quality of the squad.

We're still miles short of getting anywhere near making up that deficit, and that's with Kane.

To see us as the same financial 'beast' for the entire decade as a whole is flawed and utterly devoid of necessary nuance.

........As is the idea that 2013 > 2018 was little more than an era of "negligence".

Last edited:
He paid 60 for Richarlison...
I think people should hold off on Richila for the moment, let's see how it pans out with new manager.

In the worst case scenario, forget the fee (it wasn't your money). Nobody here questioned the signing, just like we didn't with Rebrov, Soldado et al. Just like United fans didn't with Forlán and so many other cases.

You can't argue for a "speculate to accumulate" approach if you're not prepared to take the hits.

Quality player, and a sign of intent from them, but Italian players don't travel well in general, let alone to fucking Newcastle of all places. Won't be surprised to see him flop there tbh, as good as he is.
They defintely put cream in Carbonara up there, the heathens.

If Eze can be had at that price, I agree.

It goes to my point about negotiating credibility, after the endless Zaha saga, good luck prising Eze or Olise away from them.

Accepting that; I'd happily see us go a bit higher still for Eze.

.......Not so for Maddison.

I push back against "the money spent hasn't been the issue" to the extent that the squad refreshing and reconstruction has been at every moment insufficient to the scale of the problem created by the previous shocking and irresponsible underinvestment.

The fullness of the last decade still represents total negligence as to the quality of the squad.

We're still miles short of getting anywhere near making up that deficit, and that's with Kane.
I agree and have always been adamant (and not with hindsight) that summer 2018 was the time to start. I’d have sold Eriksen and Alderweireld at peak value

To see us as the same financial entity for the entire decade as a whole is flawed and utterly devoid of necessary nuance.
No, as a matter of fact, seeing Spurs as a cash-poor real estate venture during their most competitively promising moment in decades lacked the necessary nuance.

The Poch miracle came like two years too soon.

Rather than do the sensible thing and borrow against the obvious future riches to strike when the iron was hot, they destroyed the club in a way we're nowhere near digging through the fallout of.

Can you imagine what the 60M spent on Richarlison would have bought in July 2017?

I think people should hold off on Richila for the moment, let's see how it pans out with new manager.

In the worst case scenario, forget the fee (it wasn't your money). Nobody here questioned the signing, just like we didn't with Rebrov, Soldado et al. Just like United fans didn't with Forlán and so many other cases.

You can't argue for a "speculate to accumulate" approach if you're not prepared to take the hits.
I still rate Richy. Just observing that Levy bit the bullet and paid a big fee in that instance, as with Ndombele, Porro, it's something he'll do under certain circumstances.

Either way, there's literally nothing new there; just a determination to see things through a negative lens.

Ali G said no different.
Agree, nothing new there.

Bit of negativity can be good. Levy and the board need to earn some positivity from the fan base.

We were the 2nd highest in the league for attendance %. Through all the shite.

They are more than lucky they have fans like this. Time to finally fucking reward them.

No, as a matter of fact, seeing Spurs as a cash-poor real estate venture during their most competitively promising moment in decades lacked the necessary nuance.

The Poch miracle came like two years too soon.

That much I said so myself... As it was happening too.

Rather than do the sensible thing and borrow against the obvious future riches to strike when the iron was hot, they destroyed the club in a way we're nowhere near digging through the fallout of.

Can you imagine what the 60M spent on Richarlison would have bought in July 2017?

Adjusted for inflation; that's like 30-40m at most....... A 'Davidson Sanchez' if we're going by the standard of scouting at play at that time....... (Which itself reaffirms the 'poor scouting/recruitment was the bigger fail' theory.)

Were ENIC over-cautious in not freeing up further funds to boost the squad during 17 - 19..... Yeh, that's fair (I've concurred that much numerous times before... Likely in convo's with you too!)....... I don't think that is sufficient justification to blanket claim a "decade of negligence" however.

...And as I already alluded; to there's to distinctly different period of finance AND operation disecting that decade right in half.

I still rate Richy. Just observing that Levy bit the bullet and paid a big fee in that instance, as with Ndombele, Porro, it's something he'll do under certain circumstances.

He will/does.... Now if only we were better at it.

(Which again; underpins the 'poor scouting/recruitment was the bigger fail' theory.)

Shall we 'truce' this matter once again....? All paths lead to boredom from here on in.

Last edited:
I agree and have always been adamant (and not with hindsight) that summer 2018 was the time to start. I’d have sold Eriksen and Alderweireld at peak value
Summer 2017 was really the time to start.

"No one could improve our starting XI" from that summer is one of the dumbest takes there has ever been on this board.

That was the summer Neymar and Mbappe moved to PSG and re-set the market for players. We signed no one until August 23. That's the origin of Levy totally losing the plot.

And then Summer 2018 was the unfathomable, unforgiveable betrayal of Poch, the club, and of sporting values generally. We're still in free fall from that.

But the Juventus collapse in the CL and the United semifinal performance in the FA Cup in March-April of 2018 were already the mark of a team that had lost forward momentum. Summer 2017 should have been a more meaningful change of direction.

Levy won't be watching to see how badly tommyboyspurs tommyboyspurs takes some twitter ITK cunt.

If anything he'd be sat scratching his head as to why people take these know-nothings so desperately seriously.
In just about every “All or nothing” type docu series you see the meetings with managers, DOFs, Levy types and also the PR and media types.

Do you really think they don’t consider fan sentiment?
It would be like a farmer not caring about the health of his livestock

In just about every “All or nothing” type docu series you see the meetings with managers, DOFs, Levy types and also the PR and media types.

Do you really think they don’t consider fan sentiment?
It would be like a farmer not caring about the health of his livestock

Think more specifically about what I wrote.....

I didn't say fan sentiment would be outright ignored..... I suggested that irrational stupidity is likely to be though..... Just like it should be.

no but if we dont get rid of at least 4-5 of them this window then that itself is a failure

Potential could get rid of a few I would say these players are the most likely to leave.
Lloris wants to go last year of his contract same for Sanchez and possibly Persic.
Le celso should have some takers imo? 2 years left on contract
Dier, winks 1 year left on contracts could let go cheap/free/ rip up contracts?

"Our starting XI is so locked-in and good that we'll never be able to recruit a player to come in as a backup"

I dunno, it was so mush-brained it's hard to restate clearly, lack of clarity was inherent to the take.

Meh..... If you wanted to recount things accurately; you're more than capable.

Even the revised take in this post; commenting upon back-ups doesn't hit the mark. Signing Sanchez / Foyth to back-up and ultimately succeed Jan & Toby is exactly that which you're alluding to..... Much like Signing Son, Lucas, Jansen to bolster and potentially improve upon Eriksen, Dele & Llamela was.

AGAIN...... Blame scouting/execution; not the will/intent.

Back
Top Bottom