Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Why wouldn't Levy have paid the 50 mill to get Bastoni when he has paid 60 mill for Ndombele, 60 mill for Richarlison. The Bastoni fee was well within our reach but the player didn't want to go anywhere. What's so hard to understand, and I'm no Levy apologist, but in this case you are using the wrong example to prove your point.

Reinventing history

They did with Nagelsmann....

Most likely reason is they don't mind the marketing value of being linked with players of that profile, even if they have no intent to sign them.

I'd suggest that the player market is way more of a game of poker and way more vlatile than the manager market.

I suspect you'd drive our entire squad somewhere and look for super replacements on YouTube. Then moan that Getafe play in a farmer's league and drive them somewhere as well.
Not at all. Like the vast majority on here, I've just had enough of wage thieves like Dier, Sess, Reggy & co.

Romero can be superb on his day, but yeah he does my head in with his attitude on & off the pitch. I don't think I'm being unreasonable saying that.

It would be, but that's not the prevalent phenomena here mate.......

To the credit of most casting an opinion and expectation; there's been a commendable degree of research of Vicaro being shared and discussed here.... Some just aren't into that though and are just eagerly and predictably declaring "cheap punt; bald cunt.....".
I would have preferred Raya as he has faced this league and done well.Never watched Vicario but the goals vs xg is actually a very decent marker . So while it is a cheap punt, its one that we can get behind. Also leaves us with more of a budget for replacing our disgusting CBs! The bad news is Raya would be homegrown and now we need to find homegrown CBs instead, which could be problematic.

Remember when we didn't sign Bastoni and it was because he's an Inter fan and loves the club. Nothing to do with the fact we wouldn't pay what Inter wanted?

Tonali's dad is a Milan Ultra. Tonali said:

“I know what I did to get to this shirt, and I would never make the mistake of leaving. I know it’s hard, especially in football today, but I dream of becoming a Bandiera (legend) of Milan. And I will do everything to do so.”

Even took a pay cut to join Milan.

Funny what happens in football when you pay what the club wants...

So how are Tonali and Bastoni the same?

Because they're Italian?

What an absolute reach just to cry about something

Challenge set ENIC.

Sign legit top shelf players if you want top shelf prizes.

This isn't a dig at Vicario, still think that's a great signing, it's dig at Levy and all that bullshit with not getting Bastoni last year and the bullshit they will undoubtedly pull with CB targets this summer.

Good player.... Not "top shelf" though.

As for "challenge set"; NC aren't setting a bar that hasn't already been set way higher by City and Chelsea before them.

Last edited:
I guess they don't do that because it would likely become a slippery slope - if the club effectively moves to deny any story that's untrue / unlikely, then they would get stuck having to do so forever, on every made-up story that comes out of anywhere. Though I do appreciate that someone like AG could tentatively steer fans away from the unlikely incomings in order to save frustration when it doesn't happen, if that's what you mean. I guess none of us really know with AG how much of what he says comes from the club, how much comes from other 'sources', and how much is his own opinion or at least subjective analysis of what has actually been said...
Although he's a windbag, I like Alastair Gold, he's a Spurs fan who had a dull hack's job but lucked out and got a gig that most of us would die for.

He's also the nearest thing we have to an "embedded" journo, a common thing here and in Barcelona (and to some extent in Valencia and Seville). It's rare (as with Marca hacks) that he gets something wildly wrong, I always get the impression that he takes his profession very seriously.

What’s depressing? it’s a wild overpayment. They’ve signed the Italian Jordan Henderson. He suits what Howe wants but let’s not go overboard here.

Maignan, Theo Hernandez, Rafael Leao are 3 players who I’d be fearful of if a prem rival signed them. Not the one who was fighting for his life vs Pape Matar Sarr.
He's a good player. Like I said, he's not exceptional, but he's a fuck of a lot better than what Newcastle should be buying.

I'm not going overboard at all. But there's no point pretending he's useless.

And, not to be a pedant, but Henderson was a pretty important player for Liverpool. Newcastle will be delighted if that's what they've got.

He's a good player. Like I said, he's not exceptional, but he's a fuck of a lot better than what Newcastle should be buying.

I'm not going overboard at all. But there's no point pretending he's useless.

And, not to be a pedant, but Henderson was a pretty important player for Liverpool. Newcastle will be delighted if that's what they've got.
they wont stop there either

I would have preferred Raya as he has faced this league and done well.Never watched Vicario but the goals vs xg is actually a very decent marker . So while it is a cheap punt, its one that we can get behind. Also leaves us with more of a budget for replacing our disgusting CBs! The bad news is Raya would be homegrown and now we need to find homegrown CBs instead, which could be problematic.

All fair.

No Europe kicks the HG can down the road a little, but at the same time; any of Maddison, Tosin, Barnes, Scott, Eze, Olise (even Killman as back-up) would all help the cause.

We are not in Europe so homegrown doesn't matter so much next season. If we get two out of Maddison, Barnes, Scott or Eze then that helps anyway

He wasn't world class last season but put in some performances that were. Haaland had his way with every CB in the prem, except 1.

How some people look at the state of our defense and think the best idea would be to sell Romero, is so far beyond me, even the flat earthers can't see it anymore
Lol that last bit!

Romero was a pretty integral part of that defense that conceded a zillion goals last season...but yeah we'd likely be even shitter without him in the side.

All I want is him to start acting like a grownup and not give away silly fouls, pens, red cards. Don't think that's too much to ask?

For all his quality, you can't deny he's mad frustrating with his recklessness.

Will be interesting.

They've been very vocal about their FFP restrictions.

My actually worry with Newcastle is that rather than flashing the cash, they are quietly and effectively assembling a good team based on footballing strategy as opposed to name recognition.
as long as we get a top cb, one backup cb for HG, a good cam and a backup winger on the left then thats good for me

Although he's a windbag, I like Alastair Gold, he's a Spurs fan who had a dull hack's job but lucked out and got a gig that most of us would die for.

He's also the nearest thing we have to an "embedded" journo, a common thing here and in Barcelona (and to some extent in Valencia and Seville). It's rare (as with Marca hacks) that he gets something wildly wrong, I always get the impression that he takes his profession very seriously.

At the very least, he's clearly a good egg....... I don't have the same distain for him that I have for virtually every other one of the rumour merchants that dine on the susceptible psyches of football fan-bases.

so is 60m for rich
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Challenge set ENIC.

Sign legit top shelf players if you want top shelf prizes.

This isn't a dig at Vicario, still think that's a great signing, it's dig at Levy and all that bullshit with not getting Bastoni last year and the bullshit they will undoubtedly pull with CB targets this summer.

Quality player, and a sign of intent from them, but Italian players don't travel well in general, let alone to fucking Newcastle of all places. Won't be surprised to see him flop there tbh, as good as he is.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom