Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Bastoni was a completely different case.
His girlfriend had just given birth.
Bremer was linked with many foreign clubs (including us). He was waiting for Italian citizenship. He wasn’t going to leave Italy regardless of the money.
Money is obviously a factor. So is ‘the project’.
BUT other factors play into the equation and each individual is different.
I see your Tonali and raise you a Modric.
Modric?

He’s played outside Croatia most of his life.

Do you really (really?) think Bastoni couldn’t have got done for the right money?

Tonalis dad is a Milan ultra, his life is Milan, he took a pay cut to make it work there. Newcastle paid the money, the club told him they needed it, he went.

It’s maybe more comfortable to believe the warm lie. Bastoni could have got done.

ray donovan omg GIF by Sky
Just think how nice it will be to have a coach actually try and coach the players to improve them not just implement a rigid system and rant when it doesn't work.
Not saying all of our under performers will get better but I expect some of them at least to respond to some positivity and playing a better more attacking brand of football.

Modric?

Do you really (really?) think Bastoni couldn’t have got done for the right money?

Tonalis dad is a Milan ultra, his life is Milan, he took a pay cut to make it work there. Newcastle paid the money, the club told him they needed it, he went.

It’s maybe more comfortable to believe the warm lie. Bastoni could have got done.
Thing is we will never know but is it so unbelievable that home grown, playing for your own club, young family, successful club doesn't want to move?

Modric?

You’re implying that players will move for the right money under any circumstances. They won’t. I am using Modric — who has been offered silly money to go to Saudi — to prove a point.
Bastoni point blank refused to move. Not to us. Not to anyone. It was made clear repeatedly and I have offered you an explanation as to why. You can accept it or use a transfer relating to a different player under different circumstances to confirm your bias.

Did not realise almost 75% of that list the players were signed and within a year the manager was sacked. Wonder what this list would be like if we adjusted for football transfer inflation. I assume the list would not look so bad.

I think it would look worse...... 20-30m in old money trf money is virtually double that now.

:(

Modric?

There's countless quotes from Bastoni and his agent last season saying he wants to stay with Inter.

I get that Tonali wants to make his daddy proud, but I haven't seen anything like that from him in the press this summer.

Gold mentioned on his podcast with Guest that he wouldn't rule out Spurs bringing CCV back because Ange really like him and Spurs have a cheap buy back option. Think he would count against HG too right?
HG and club trained I believe. VG passer but shortish and not swift. Would he want to come back?

Did not realise almost 75% of that list the players were signed and within a year the manager was sacked. Wonder what this list would be like if we adjusted for football transfer inflation. I assume the list would not look so bad.

Fans keep going on about bad signings but you can see why Lo Celso or even lazy Ndombele was vastly more suited to Poch than low block Jose/Nuno/Conte.

We could have elite scouting and signings but we will still have a messy Square pegs round holes team if we are switching football styles with each sacking.

I am hoping Scott Munn and Ange is the start of this club taking a more mature grown up approach to football. If the following season we end up with Ange sacked and another low block manager coming in then even if our recruitment is good half the players will be fucked and we will need to rebuild yet again.

Just think how nice it will be to have a coach actually try and coach the players to improve them not just implement a rigid system and rant when it doesn't work.
Not saying all of our under performers will get better but I expect some of them at least to respond to some positivity and playing a better more attacking brand of football.
Of course. Conte was the absolute pits for that.

But we have three or four players that simply need to be moved on. They are technically not good enough. No amount of coaching or positive vibes is going to change that.

Of course. Conte was the absolute pits for that.

But we have three or four players that simply need to be moved on. They are technically not good enough. No amount of coaching or positive vibes is going to change that.
Technically not good enough, and also key pillars of a dressing room culture that has been absolutely rotten for years.

It's key to Ange having the playing attributes to institute his football ideas and also the personality attributes to institute his culture.

The thing with Ange is, it might fail, it might fail badly and quickly really, but the more we commit to his ideas, the better shape we're going to be in EVEN IF it all collapses by Christmas.

A fresher, younger, more technically sound team playing braver football leaves us a better future option set under whatever circumstances.

Back
Top Bottom