Summer Transfer Thread 2023! - Closed (Maybe)

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Rate this window out of 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Although he's a windbag, I like Alastair Gold, he's a Spurs fan who had a dull hack's job but lucked out and got a gig that most of us would die for.

He's also the nearest thing we have to an "embedded" journo, a common thing here and in Barcelona (and to some extent in Valencia and Seville). It's rare (as with Marca hacks) that he gets something wildly wrong, I always get the impression that he takes his profession very seriously.
Agreed, and if it sounded like I was criticising him, that wasn't intended. I'm just conscious that we don't know what he a). is told by the club, b). is told by other sources, presumably unofficial sources within the club, and c). has concluded himself based on his understanding of a and b. I do agree that, unlike so many others, he does try to be as honest as possible and do his best at the job, but through no fault of his, i.e. because of the a/b/c above, we can never be totally sure he's got his analysis right. So if, for example, he says we in the market for Tapsoba, that might be true, or it might be a source getting a little over-excited or exagerrating what they've heard etc.

But yes I do like him, I recognise he's definitely nearer the mark than any others, and is pretty much the only Spurs-linked journo that I even bother to listen to (hard going as it may be sometimes 😂 ).

He's a good player. Like I said, he's not exceptional, but he's a fuck of a lot better than what Newcastle should be buying.

I'm not going overboard at all. But there's no point pretending he's useless.

And, not to be a pedant, but Henderson was a pretty important player for Liverpool. Newcastle will be delighted if that's what they've got.
I don't get the hate for Henderson at all. As my Scouse friend in the village says, he's a steady 6/7 out of 10, never shirks, rarely has a stinker. Exactly what you want from the least fashionable position on the pitch.

Exactly what he's been for England. Mr Reliable, 6 or 7 out of 10. Won't let you down, won't get you out of your seat saying "fuck me, how did he do that?" either. It's an underrated art, you miss it when he's gone.

Comes across as a thoroughly decent bloke too.

Challenge set ENIC.

Sign legit top shelf players if you want top shelf prizes.

This isn't a dig at Vicario, still think that's a great signing, it's dig at Levy and all that bullshit with not getting Bastoni last year and the bullshit they will undoubtedly pull with CB targets this summer.

I feel like people really have never seen Tonali play

Quality player, and a sign of intent from them, but Italian players don't travel in general, let alone to fucking Newcastle of all places. Won't be surprised to see him flop there tbh, as good as he is.
lol yeah newcastle isnt quite up to the standard he's used to in milan in so many ways. But 6 million pounds a year softens the blow, and sweetens the taste of brown ale no doubt

Sarr absolutely bossed him in the game at the San Siro so I'm not quite ready to jump on the sucking off Newcastle train like everyone else.

He was the worst of the three when he, Kessie and Bennacer played together and to be honest has never really lived up to the hype of the next Pirlo (Though I imagine not many would). He's a solid little midfield player. Not worth 70m and he's no Barella, who they probably could have signed if they threw enough money at Inter.

He is, however, better than Longstaff and Willock who play in midfield now. He doesn't get into that Newcastle midfield however over Joelinton or Bruno

I genuinely don't think Tonal is much better, if at all, than say Ruben Neves who Newcastle probably could have signed for a lot cheaper and has experience of the league.

I cant see Maddison happening. It just seems like they want a huge amount of money and is he really going to work in a Postecoglou team based on how he set up Celtic?

I'd like us to seemingly move a few on too. Surely some of the players we want out fancy topping up their bank accounts in Arabia?

I cant see Maddison happening. It just seems like they want a huge amount of money and is he really going to work in a Postecoglou team based on how he set up Celtic?

I'd like us to seemingly move a few on too. Surely some of the players we want out fancy topping up their bank accounts in Arabia?
not many good cams out there, the only other one i want is one we have not been linked to yet but most certainly should be

Agreed, and if it sounded like I was criticising him, that wasn't intended. I'm just conscious that we don't know what he a). is told by the club, b). is told by other sources, presumably unofficial sources within the club, and c). has concluded himself based on his understanding of a and b. I do agree that, unlike so many others, he does try to be as honest as possible and do his best at the job, but through no fault of his, i.e. because of the a/b/c above, we can never be totally sure he's got his analysis right. So if, for example, he says we in the market for Tapsoba, that might be true, or it might be a source getting a little over-excited or exagerrating what they've heard etc.

But yes I do like him, I recognise he's definitely nearer the mark than any others, and is pretty much the only Spurs-linked journo that I even bother to listen to (hard going as it may be sometimes 😂 ).
No, I didn't think you were being over-critical for a second. I think that, as a consummate professional, he only quotes trustworthy sources. And of course, "many a slip twixt cup and lip" as mum used to say, things don't work out and we rarely find out exactly why. But he's as good as it gets and he's one of our own.

And a good egg, as Airffix says

Prof on COYS:

Not only working on gk and mid. Initial list of cb targets cut down to those approved by Ange. Two approaches made so far - one young and promising, the other a little older and more experienced. If they seem doable we’ll negotiate. If not we’ll move on. Would like 3 new defenders for the squad - number depends on outgoings. Ange bullish he can coach up some of our youngsters and a few of our under performers which is music to the boss’s ears. Lol

some bullshit itk

depressing read if thats the aim this summer

seeing them sign quality in one window in the cl is utterly depressing
Uhh... really?

They were going to be making signings like this regardless of where they finished. They are owned by the Saudi PIF now, the CL revenue is a drop in the bucket to them.

Sure, from a paper accounting/FFP perspective the CL may help them slightly accelerate things a bit, but this was always going to be coming.

Back
Top Bottom