Your first Spurs game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Woolwich at home 1986, 1-0 to the Tottenham. 12 years old, face pressed against that old blue fence, Hoddle came to take a throw-in and looked me in the eye, I got goosebumps, he was my hero.

Last edited:
1970 home to Utd 2-2, top game, legends from both sides on pitch, plenty of mud very little grass, 50k + crowd, great atmosphere.
That was my second game.
First was against Sheffield Wed on 1 Nov 1969, Stevie's first season and Greavsie's last. Roger Morgan scored the only goal. Don't really remember much of the actual game, but still remember the feeling of walking into the ground and feeling immediately at home. I stood under the Shelf, right at the front. Entrance via the Boys' entrance cost three shillings and sixpence in old money - about 17p! The team were Jennings, Want, Knowles, Mullery, England, Beal, Morgan, Greaves, Pearce, Gilzean, Perryman. The attendance was 31,655 and me :). Kick off was 3pm on a Saturday - happy days!

19th September 1981 3-0 over Everton.

Clemence
Hughton
Miller
Roberts
Perryman
Ardiles
Galvin
Hoddle
Villa
Archibald
Falco

Being a fat 11 year old I remember moaning about the long walk from Seven Sisters in the drizzle, the smell of horse shit and onions. After game walking passed the Park Lane from East stand and the crowd singing "Tottenham are back, Tottenham are back. Hello! Hello!" Bought a badge with the chant on it which I still have. Program is in a frame now although half the pages are missing as I must have stuck pictures onto my bedroom wall

That was my second game.
First was against Sheffield Wed on 1 Nov 1969, Stevie's first season and Greavsie's last. Roger Morgan scored the only goal. Don't really remember much of the actual game, but still remember the feeling of walking into the ground and feeling immediately at home. I stood under the Shelf, right at the front. Entrance via the Boys' entrance cost three shillings and sixpence in old money - about 17p! The team were Jennings, Want, Knowles, Mullery, England, Beal, Morgan, Greaves, Pearce, Gilzean, Perryman. The attendance was 31,655 and me :). Kick off was 3pm on a Saturday - happy days!
I'm sure that was the first game I went to
I was 12 and took GF younger brother, don't know how we got there as I had never been there
we went by train from sth ockendon and found our way to sth Tottenham stn (must have asked folks what trains to get)
we were in the corner of park lane & shelf side

That was my second game.
you either have a phenomenal memory, or the programme.....

Was Ardiles in charge for this game or had the meltdown with venables not happened yet? looks like Stewart & ruddock have fucked off to liverpool but barmby is still there I thought he went as well.
Ardiles was in charge at the time yes. I distinctly remember Anderton getting injured or was it Barmby? Took forever for the game to get going again though.

My first game was 11th May 1983 vs Utd. 2-0 Spurs. Graham Roberts and Stevie with the goals.
My dad and grandad took me and my (Utd supporter) brother. If memory serves we sat on a wooden bench at the back of the East Stand. It was a Wednesday night, a school night! Smiling in my sleep in the car on the way back up to Norfolk.

Spurs connection with the first ever match I went to. Greaves was playing. But for Wet Spam, he'd been sold/swapped for Peters by then. Bobby Moore and Geoff Hurst played too. For Palace, a whole bunch of people whose names you'd never recognise, real journeymen pros.

Palace v WH at Selhurst, 1970, 1-1. 11 yrs old. I grew up in Bromley so started following Palace too, as the local team.

40,000+ crowd. Was at the very front of the terrace by the corner flag. And I distinctly remember JG coming over to take a corner and winking at me. Me. Not any of the other 40,000 but me!!!!!!

TV cameras were there for The Big Match with Brian Moore, which I of course watched all the way through on the crappy black and white Radio Rentals TV my parents thought was quite sufficient.

Mine was the League Cup semi final 2nd leg at home against West Brom on 10th February 1982. The first leg had finished 0-0 with Martin Jol sent off for West Brom. Micky Hazard scored for a 1-0 victory in the second leg.

April 1987 I think, I was 12 at the time. Spurs vs Charlton at WHL. 1-0, Clive Allen (around the 45th min).

Vaguely Interesting things from the day:
  • Walking to the game from WHL station, my uncle who took me (a Woolwich fan), spotted Pat Jennings walking down the High Road, so I ran over to him and meekly asked him to sign my programme, which he gladly did. Top bloke.
  • Pat was at WHL to present Ray Clemence with a trophy for breaking his appearance record
  • My uncle went to get burgers at half time, so he missed the goal
  • Ticket was in the West Lower, and cost £8.
  • ...and Hoddle was a god.

25th of April 2004

Spurs - Woolwich 2-2

Unfortunately the day they secured the league at the Lane..I remember how much better they were, we still had our chances. I remember that they gifted a clear cut chance that we wasted through Kanoute. They were winning until the 90th minute when the fuckwit that was Lehmann pushed Keane into the net and we were given a penalty. 2-2 and ecstatic celebrations. After that, they had some mad celebrations of course, we were gone pretty much directly after the final whistle.

After my last game last month I wrote this:

Saturday was my last trip to White Hart Lane. Not because I won't go back to what for ever will be the Lane for me, but because what has been the home for Tottenham Hotspur for almost 118 years will soon be no more. Just a few metres away from the current - the new stadium is being built.
My last two games at WHL ended with a total 9-0 for Spurs, a decent return from a stadium where I have seen excellent, good, average and terrible results and experienced euphoria, but also doom and gloom! With White Hart Lane getting knocked down, that's another one of those amazing old stadiums that have been right at the core of English football being torn away.

After the Manchester United game in May the process of tearing the ground down, and build the new will continue. The steel, the bricks, the expectations, the beer, the chants from the fans of both teams, the green pitch, the 4 stands, the disappointments and times flying high, the crowded toilets, the turnstiles and those seats infront of you that made your shins bleed everytime Spurs scored.

This is farewell then. You shall not be forgotten.

I will miss you White Hart Lane.

I must have posted this before but anyway....

Had been a fan since around Feb 1968 but lived abroad so the first time i got to actually see a game was 12th Aug 1972 at home to Coventry.
We won 2-1 with 2 Martin Peters goals.
Crowd was 33884 (just looked it up).
Came 8th in the League, won the League Cup & got to the semi-final of the UEFA cup (lost to Liverpool - must have been on pens as we appear to have drawn 2-2 on agg?)

First game i went to on my own (ie, not with the old man but with a mate) was
25/8/1976 vs Newcastle (mid-week if memory serves).
We lost 2-0 & crowd was 24022.

Just three months later had my first tear-up with Woolwich -
23/11/1976 on my way home from Pat Jennings testimonial.

Came 8th in the League, won the League Cup & got to the semi-final of the UEFA cup (lost to Liverpool - must have been on pens as we appear to have drawn 2-2 on agg?)

Away goals. Real shitter, I remember reading that we'd been absolutely pelting their goal all evening.

Thank God I wasn't able to get to the FA cup home replay with Derby. Winning 3-1, lost 3-5 aet. Roger Davies got 4.

Mine was a boxing day match against Nottingham Forest when Lineker was making his comeback after a spell out due to the illness of his son. Can't remember the score nor the year but the atmosphere was brilliant (back of Paxton Stand) and it got me hooked.

25th of April 2004

Spurs - Woolwich 2-2

Unfortunately the day they secured the league at the Lane..I remember how much better they were, we still had our chances. I remember that they gifted a clear cut chance that we wasted through Kanoute. They were winning until the 90th minute when the fuckwit that was Lehmann pushed Keane into the net and we were given a penalty. 2-2 and ecstatic celebrations. After that, they had some mad celebrations of course, we were gone pretty much directly after the final whistle.

Surely the most surreal day in the history of the stadium. I was in the Park Lane about 35, right next to their section.

To equalize against them in the last minute is obviously one of those mental moments, but then pretty much in the same second the full time whistle went and Woolwich had won the league.

I know for a fact that most of them were sat down at the time, gutted. Imagine that, winning the fucking league at the home of your rivals and being sat down and maudlin when it happened.
I know they sing about it now but we ruined their moment big time.

First game in person was December 2015 v Newcastle when we shat the bed in the last few minutes and lost 2-1 so not a great memory.

However, the first game I ever saw (and the reason I support Spurs) was v Man Utd on October 1st, 1988 when Chris Waddle scored in a 2-2 draw (Paul Stewart missed a penalty to win the game). I was a young lad in Australia and they showed 1 hr of First Division highlights a week so am ever thankful I chose Spurs over Liverpool and United who everyone supported back then.

Thankfully my second game at the Lane was the 3-2 win over West Ham this season!

Back
Top Bottom