Your first Spurs game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

At home to Liverpool, November 1983. Finished 2-2. I was six at the time and didn't even know what football was. Still remember walking up the steps and seeing the pitch for the first time, and its still my favourite part of going to the Lane, even today.

Another time traveller wearing a hoody & baseball cap in the early 60s?...
mtIio.png
Looks like he`s checking his phone as well

1979 v West Brom, finished 1-1. Terrible weather, terrible game.
Spurs line up that day:
[formation=442, Daines, McAllister, Perryman, Miller, Hughton, Villa, Ardiles, Yorath, Hoddle, Armstrong, Jones][/formation]

Very first game I was dragged along by my dad (I didn't like football at the time) to a home game against Wimbledon in 1991. Pretty sure it was 0-0 or 1-1.
Gazza and lineker were in the side but I have zero memory of even seeing a ball being kicked. I was 8 years old and I didn't like the angry atmosphere or the uncomfortable seats.

Few years later though my dad tried again and I'm glad he did. Was a home game against everton where Darren caskey scored to win the game 3-2 in the dying minutes.
Again I don't remember the goal itself or how we played. I just know that the crowd reaction to the win is what awoke the passion for football in me.
Was hooked from there on in.

Edit: found it on YouTube

Last edited:
First game I remember was v Liverpool at home in 87. Won 1-0 waddle. Apparently I was taken to Luton away the season before or one before that. I disputed it but my old man was sure. No doubt he was pished at the time.

It was during the Falklands war. Villa had already gone back to Argentina but Ossie played. The biggest memory I have of the game was him being the focus of some really horrible chanting. Like really horrible!

Lineker and Lynix (spelling?) were up front for Leicester for anyone old enough to remember those two? at Villa Park in the FA Cup semifinal.

I'm from Leicestershire, went with my Dad, two brothers and my Grandad (who I remember was standing on a wooden box to see over everyone's heads to watch the game) who are all Leicester fans to this day.

I went with Spurs however, as the team played football without putting snow on the ball (still think Dad treats me different because of that).

Had my first man crush watching Graham Roberts lol!

August 1991, Chavs at home, back in the days when they were terrible. First time my dad had taken me, also the first time he'd gone back to the Lane after being a season ticket holder in the 60's and he had got stitched up, by not getting a ticket for the '67 FA Cup final, he'd vowed never to go back. It was only my interest in Spurs that we went. It was around the beginning of that '3pt Lane Hoodoo' they had over us. That was the start of my dislike of them as they were such a nothing team in those days. We sat in the East Upper next to the chav fans, it was definitely a bit fruity.

We lost 3-1, Lineker scored our solitary goal that day.

Very late - 2009 v Newcastle, I was 18. We won 1-0, Darren Bent first half goal. Newcastle had Shearer in and they were on their way down.

Few years later though my dad tried again and I'm glad he did. Was a home game against everton where Darren caskey scored to win the game 3-2 in the dying minutes.
Again I don't remember the goal itself or how we played. I just know that the crowd reaction to the win is what awoke the passion for football in me.
Was hooked from there on in.

Edit: found it on YouTube

I was at that Everton game! I was sat right at the front of East Lower in line with the centre circle. *Actually it was the 2-1 win the season before that.

Last edited:
So delighted that after many years of searching I've finally located some footage of my first game. 1990/1 v Nottingham Forest in the league, just before the FA Cup final. It's just 38 seconds but from an era when not many games were televised I'm thrilled to just have that.

I always knew it was the first and only time I got to see Gazza play in the flesh, happy to see he got the assist here! I was 6 or 7 at the time so couldn't recall much about the game.

I know there is a lot of memories and nostalgia flying about at the moment. I found this a few years back and was so happy to find it. Now it seems to have gone from YouTube without trace - not sure if the user removed it or it got blocked - Knew I'd posted it here which is only way I see the old url.

Any techies know if this can be retrieved somehow?! Or at least how I could contact the original uploader?!

Very late - 2009 v Newcastle, I was 18. We won 1-0, Darren Bent first half goal. Newcastle had Shearer in and they were on their way down.
Exact same as mine! Although I actually missed the goal, only ever time at the Lane and was running up the stairs as the goal went in, was still amazing nonetheless. Only other time I have seen Spurs in the flesh was when they came to Melbourne last year, we lost 1-0 against Atletico so I am still yet to see us score. Going back to UK/Europe in 2019 so expect a month or two where we don't score around then!

Incidentally, if anyone has any footage of that Newcastle game it'd be great, still haven't seen the goal! I remember Lennon played an absolute blinder and Defoe coming off the bench and missing a few chances.

Think it was about 1984, pissed it down with rain, against Liverpool. Sunday afternoon , I was in the Paxton.
Remember watching it through the fences lol I was ten

Used to go over Cheshunt in the school holidays with my old man to watch us train, that was about 1981, that was like the promised land watching all the legends train.

Been to quite a few that have been mentioned here.

Mine - New Years Day, 1971-72 season, away at Palace. 1-1, Chivers free kick. Watched from the stands (persuaded my Dad to take me, no way did he want to be on the terraces). Remember watching all the navy and white scarves held horizontally in the away terrace after the goal. All you could see.

Back
Top Bottom