Your first Spurs game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Interested to know people's first experience of seeing Spurs was:

Mine was 3/11/86, we lost 2-1 to Wimbledon, it was raining, we had two players stretchered off (Graham Roberts, also sent off and Gary Stevens, decked by Fashanu as he scored the decisive goal - cunt). Mitchell Thomas was the first player that I ever saw score for Spurs....Mitchell Thomas.

5th September 1981... lost 1-3 at home to (the then Champions) Aston Villa...

I remember being quite confused at the time, as Ricky VILLA scored for us, against VILLA... and I wasn't sure if that was a mistake!

I'm not sure whether if your first experience of a Spurs game ends in a defeat somehow sets you apart from those whose first is a win... but I've certainly never looked back.

Charlton at The Lane around 89 or so. We won 3-0, Lineker, Walsh and someone else.

Also in that time I was at a game v Luton. The floodlights went of when we were 1-0 down with about 15 minutes left...they were off for about 10 minutes, and the crowd got restless and thought the game was off. Then they came back on and we won 4-1!

Regarding Mitchell Thomas, I was a little young to analyse him properly, but wasnt he a bit Ant at the back....give you a heart attack one minute, and great the next?

1882 said:

I was quite confused little boy at the time, as Ricky VILLA scored for us, against VILLA... and I wasn't sure what that meant, but I've never looked back.

I think Villa was his last name.....and the team was Aston Villa. Is that what confused you?

(wink)

sammyspurs said:
1882 said:

I was quite confused little boy at the time, as Ricky VILLA scored for us, against VILLA... and I wasn't sure what that meant, but I've never looked back.

I think Villa was his last name.....and the team was Aston Villa. Is that what confused you?

(wink)

yes... yes that was it!
I suppose it was a similar confused emotion to that when I first learned that Mike England played for Wales... how can that be...? go figure!!

Think it was Villa away in the 1992 FA Cup (3rd Round) - in the Villa end as dad's mate got us all tickets. I don't count that though, not just as it was 0-0 and shit...

First game I'd count as "proper" would be at home against a particularly poor Southampton side later on that month...they were well bottom and seemingly going down and we lost 1-2, the hero that is Gary Mabbutt grabbing one back towards the end. Dire Spurs football...did I care? Not a jot.

Watched my first two Spurs games at WHL in the West Stand :harryblow:

Tottenham 2-4 Aston Villa.

It was the 99/00 season. We were 2-0 up after about an hour and ended up losing 4-2. Little did I know I'd see quite a few more of these kinds of defeats. 1 of Villa's goals included a Dion Dublin bicycle kick :king:

I saw you at the Bill Nich prior to my first in-person match at the Lane, Dan -- 3-3 vs. Woolwich last year.

Lucked into scout seats, screamed my head off while little guys with suits and notepads tried to ignore me, and despite wearing kit and trainers managed to get well lit with Peter Baker and Cliff Jones afterwards in Legends.

My first time actually seeing us in the flesh actually came in the summer of '10, when we played the NY Red Bulls in NY. Needless to say, I'm a bit less proud of that.

Plus years of watching in Floyd pub in Brooklyn...

First game my dad took me to was when I was around 3 or 4, at home to West Ham (yeah, thanks dad). Have no recollection of this game, although he always takes great pleasure in telling me how bored I was, pulling funny faces before I had to go for a shit after 20mins.

The first game (and incidentally first memory ever) I remember was at home to Middlesbrough, possibly around '98 or '99. Hamilton Ricard scored a hat-trick as far as i'm aware, and I just remember it absolutely pissing down, I was singing 'the referee's a wanker' and had to walk all the way to my dad's car which he used to park about a 25min walk from WHL. Horrible first memory to have, but being a Spurs fan it was never going to be a positive one was it!

FA CUP THIRD ROUND
SUNDAY 7TH JANUARY, 2007 NINIAN PARK
CARDIFF CITY 0 TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 0
Not sure how to say this but I was in the Cardiff end :adegrin2:
I realised that day how much of a legend Paul Robinson was, never seen a goalkeeper with a proper sense of humour, constant chants of you fat bastard when I was sitting directly behind him and I can remember every time he turned toward us to walk back to take a goal kick he would rub his belly and raise his eyebrows, tickled me. Berbatov was fucking magic to watch also :harryhmm: shame.

BUYLEDLEYNEWKNEES said:
FA CUP THIRD ROUND
I realised that day how much of a legend Paul Robinson was, never seen a goalkeeper with a proper sense of humour, constant chants of you fat bastard when I was sitting directly behind him and I can remember every time he turned toward us to walk back to take a goal kick he would rub his belly and raise his eyebrows, tickled me. Berbatov was fucking magic to watch also :harryhmm: shame.

I was in the away end having all kinds of shit thrown at me that day :nawty:

What you would call a "hostile" atmosphere

Got beat by Liverpool 2-1 at the lane. No idea who scored, all I remember is the Liverpool defenders constantly getting the call from the keeper and passing it back to him to pick up!

28th sept '83

Against Drogheda united in UEFA cup. We won 8-0 lol (14-0 on agg if i remember rightly)

Still got the programme.

thedutchman said:
BUYLEDLEYNEWKNEES said:
FA CUP THIRD ROUND

I was in the away end having all kinds of shit thrown at me that day :nawty:

What you would call a "hostile" atmosphere

I was next to the Spurs fans in the Grange End directly behind the goal. I used to love the all standing, there with all the :nawty: 's. Think that match cost me forty pound for the day, ticket-travel-food-four cans of stella :nawty:
Support was singing for 90 minutes, would love the Lane to be like that one day :harrysmile:

October 76, vs Everton 3-3... think we were 3-0 up.... I sat in the Paxton Upper with my uncle... we went down that year but that didn't put me off....

Didn't become a football fan until I became an adult. My first game was a match in the 1996/1997 season against Preston North End in the then Coca Cola Cup. It was at the Lane and we won (the actual score escapes me now) but I remember it being an awful performance, notwithstanding the victory.

I can't remember the details but it was away at Sheffield Wednesday and I remember seeing Stephen Carr a lot from where I was sitting. Sheff Wed + S Carr = Late 90's.

Spurs v Leeds 1968 i think it was, it was the game when this famous picture was taken of Dave Mackay squaring up to Billy bremner.

davemakay.jpg

Back
Top Bottom