Your first Spurs game

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Think it was about 1984, pissed it down with rain, against Liverpo

Used to go over Cheshunt in the school holidays with my old man to watch us train, that was about 1981, that was like the promised land watching all the legends train.
Use to do the same with my Dad.We were living in Hoddesdon at the time,so only up the road.
Got loads of autographs and a few photos.The only one i can find is of me and my cousin with comedian Peter Cook at one of the open days.I was there the day Steve Perryman and Neil McNab had a barny.
Great memories
Back then you could just turn up an walk in couldn't you?
Shame they stopped that

As a kid my Dad could only really afford to take me to friendlies and the odd cup game, he couldn't go week in week out anymore and i'm struggling to remember my first experience of the lane, however I want to say a cup tie against Tranmere.

My first premier league game was against Boro. Must of been around 04' and I was about 10. I believe it may have been Jol's first season or perhaps Hoddle's last, we were on a very bad run at the time and I remember being convinced we would lose. After a pretty boring game and some rather less boring songs about Ray Parlour's recent divorce we won 2-0 thanks to Defoe and a goal of Kanoute's arse. I was absolutely thrilled but to be honest Spurs was already well in my blood by then.

Use to do the same with my Dad.We were living in Hoddesdon at the time,so only up the road.
Got loads of autographs and a few photos.The only one i can find is of me and my cousin with comedian Peter Cook at one of the open days.I was there the day Steve Perryman and Neil McNab had a barny.
Great memories
Shame they stopped that

I used to have an autograph book, gutted I lost it.
Yeah you could just walk in, unbelievable memory's.
Need a signed letter from the queen to get in now lol

I was there the day Steve Perryman and Neil McNab had a barny.
Great memories
Shame they stopped that
They probably stopped it cos they didn't want the fans seeing the players having a fight!!

BTW, we're all gagging to know... What was the Stevie P/Neil McNab row about?

They probably stopped it cos they didn't want the fans seeing the players having a fight!!

BTW, we're all gagging to know... What was the Stevie P/Neil McNab row about?
Not sure.
It was described as a clash of tempers.About 4 punches thrown apiece.
Finished even,but Steve had a slight cut above his eye.
Training was stopped for the day after that.

Spurs vs Southampton in the Cup 1990.

We lost 3-1.

Shelf Side Lower.

Freezing and we played like shit.

And so the love began...
Urgh, I remember that one. Venables playing a high line in the rain against a Saints side with a really pacy attack. Rod Wallace. TV was supposed to be the arch tactician, but god he fecked up that day.

1970 home to Utd 2-2, top game, legends from both sides on pitch, plenty of mud very little grass, 50k + crowd, great atmosphere.

First one I went to with mates and a few others was against Utd in '87. Remember getting the train down and one of the older kids asked me for a prediction. "4-0 to Spurs" I said.
It was.
Shelf for that one and many more after. "I'm only a poor little Yiddo!"

But I'm fairly certain I went once in '84 or '85 but can't remember who we played.

V Charlton - April 87

Whilst I always remember the score and scorer, I never really recalled anything else about the game as I was only 7.

I recently looked to see if I could get hold of a match programme and it was only then that I realised how lucky I'd been. Clemence, Ardiles, Hoddle, Allen (Paul & Clive!) all started.

Clive scored the only goal but it was during that magical season where he hit 49. I recall little other than that and I think we were in the Paxton.

I'll never be able to say I saw any of the greats from the 60s/70s but I'm extremely grateful to my Dad for my first experience at the Lane!

27th August 1997 - 7 years old.
Wednesday night under the lights - beat Aston Villa 3-2.
Remember my old man letting me buy one of those photo prints of one player after the game...had the choice of Mabbutt, Klinsmann, Ferdinand, Ginola...and I chose Ruel Fox!!

I was 7. Never forget that day. Met Gazza in the car park which was hard as he had everyone surrounding him at the time.

Was Ardiles in charge for this game or had the meltdown with venables not happened yet? looks like Stewart & ruddock have fucked off to liverpool but barmby is still there I thought he went as well.

Grew up in a family where sport didn't matter, so was never presented the chance to get up to a game until I was an adult.... then, as a cheap arse uni student in London in the mid 90s, was given a golden opportunity - St John's Ambulance :-D I happily took my penance of wearing a uniform, looking after a cadet on my post, and the risk of having to miss part of games due to some sozzled prick falling down the steps, or the ridiculously high number of Heart Attacks we had in the boxes in those days (lets be honest, Spurs in the 90s was not a chill experience)

First game was in the South East Corner, 24 Feb 1996 Spurs v Sheffield Wednesday. A flaky 1-0 win (Chris Armstrong), but my abiding memories, apart from all the behind the scenes access on my first trip in, getting to walk on the red clay behind the Park Lane goal, and standing in the corner at pitch level, was the noise of the fans coming from Paxton Lower, seeing this place I had dreamed about since I was a wee lad, and Gary Mabbut charging with the ball like a bull elephant from our half toward the Park Lane goal

It may not have the wow factor of my wife (Spurs v Derby 8/9/90, Paul Gascoigne HT), or my son (Spurs v WBA, 14/1/17, Kane HT), but it was a unique opportunity I was glad to get

my first month saw me then move up to the Legends box 2 weeks later for the cup replay against Forest, before being moved on a semi-permanent basis to the plinth in between the McDonalds family stand and the monster pit of Paxton Lower, that first game seeing Alan Shearer complete an injury time hattrick to beat us

I don't care how shit we were in the mid 90s, being able to "watch" my Tottenham for free for 16 months was astonishingly brilliant, and as soon as I got the chance to grab a ST in 2003 I was there, and I now sit not 20m in Park lower from my first trip to the Lane

Sunday is going to be emotional, glorious, and a huge celebration, but I am looking forward to getting 21+ more years of memories in the new place

Spurs V FC Zimbru Chisinau, 16th September 1999
U.E.F.A CUP 1ST RD. 1ST LEG

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 3 (2) - FC ZIMBRU CHISINAU 0(0)

Spurs scorers:-

Leonhardsen, 3

Perry, 31

Sherwood, 55

Referee:- E. Zammit

Attendance:- 32,660

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FC

Starting Lineup:

Walker; Carr,Perry,Young,Taricco (sub Edinburgh, 82 ); Leonardsen,Freund,Sherwood,Ginola,Iversen,Armstrong ( sub Dominguez, 76 ).

Bench:

Baardsen, Fox,Edinburgh,Dominguez,Nielsen,Clemence,King

So jealous of you all. I have no idea who we played and what the score was, or what year. Apart from those vital details I remember everything about the day/night, I can narrow it down to either 1973 or 1974 and I'm five or six years old. Drew all over the programme faking the player signatures. Sat on my mates Dad's knee the entire game in Upper East.

Back
Top Bottom