"Yid" chanting...

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yid chants, offensive?

• Yes

Votes: 27 7.8%
  • No

Votes: 317 92.2%

• Total voters
Yes he does... but the video is still a farce as it makes out that it us, the spurs fans, that are singing the racist chants
The video shows Chelsea fans though, singing about Auschwitz.

Baddiel is a cunt and his refusal to even engage says it all.

As been said before , the Ajax fans do the same thing we do , they took the insults and use it as something to unite the group and ridicule those who want to use the word as an insult.

Lots of fanbases do the same thing , you have PSV calling themselves the superpeasants as a reaction to the fact that every other club shouted 'boeren (peasants)' at them.

But atm it isnt about the word anymore , its more about who wins and who needs to shut up and take it like a man. Nobody is backing down so in the end we'll be banned from singing Yiddo Yiddo ..

The video shows Chelsea fans though, singing about Auschwitz.

Baddiel is a cunt and his refusal to even engage says it all.
I know it only shows other fans singing, apart from the little snippet of yiddo yiddo/yid army, my beef with that film is it tries to make it out that we are the culprits, not chelsea, spammers or milwall.
Yes, we should perhaps stop singing Yid army and such, but the hissing and such won't stop just because we stop chanting it. The main problem is opposing fans getting away with things like the auzschwicst (spelling) song, and there is no way that a spurs fan would ever sing that, as we tried to deflect (and succeeded in part I would think? I'm not really old enough to know) anti-semetic chants and say to our jewish fans and the world that we are united.

I've yet to see an adequate explanation of why someone finds the word yid offensive when used in a positive context like this.

Ledley King appears in the Baddiel video tbf bensonrecon bensonrecon

The video I have no issue with. The video makes it plain that it's a blanket thing but every time he is given a mouthpiece since the video became public knowledge it's as if the hissing and holocaust references come with a great big disclaimer of "will Stop when Spurs stop using the Y word."

The London Tonight interview last night, the "Is Football racist?" Documentary and any newspaper interviews done with him end up going straight to our use of the word, our reasoning being "pathetic" and how the club has to stop it while NEVER going into what other clubs should be doing and what punishments should be put in place. I may not like the guy but he's a relatively high profile Chelsea fan and as such is in the perfect position to address the situation within the fanbase of the club he supports.

At the moment all he's done is effectively come in with a bunch of vagary about going to war against evil and then turned around and machine gunned everyone that is looking to defeat the same problem, while the evil stands behind him laughing. On a number of occasions he's spoken about how Chelsea fans have told him that they "only use the abuse because Spurs call themselves that." Yet that is apparently not pathetic enough to warrant further discussion, yet us taking it and trying to flip it into something positive is "ludicrous?"

"fundamentally patronising and insulting to Jews?"

Says the man who sits and celebrates with men who mock the holocaust.

I think my main issue with Baddiel is that, he sits with the racists, he cheers with the anti-semitic, he's made a career out of being offensive (The Mary Whitehouse Experience) and now he's bitching about a group of people who dared to defend themselves from the scum of society.

If Baddiel feels we're not entitled to 'reclaim' the word because it was wasn't ours in the first place (despite the fact it was directed, as an insult, to us) then perhaps we should state we have 'claimed', rather than'reclaimed' the word.

"fundamentally patronising and insulting to Jews?"

I wonder what his thoughts are on the Channel 4 Television show called "Jewish Mum Of The Year" :baletroll:

I think everything would be different if we were standing up, pointing at Yossi Benayoun and shouting Yid at him in a threatening and derogatory manner. The reality of it is that we are chanting "Yiddo, Yiddo" at Jermain -fucking- Defoe. It's a word that symbolises solidarity and loyalty, that is a privilege within our club. What David Baddiel thinks is irrelevant because he probably buys into the "John Terry isn't racist cos he's mates with Ashley Cole" scapegoat. "racism" in the sense of Yid, is completely about context and tone, within the four walls of White Hart Lane it's a mark of respect, honour and togetherness. Shouting out "fucking yid"at someone from the other side of the street is not acceptable. Baddiel doesn't seem to understand the inherent duplicity involved. But that's because he's a cretin with an anti-spurs agenda. Daily Mail's the perfect outlet for him.

I was having a look at some of the comments on John Crace's Guardian article and found something from that rarest of things, a sensible Woolwich fan, which hits the nail on the head for me:

'In the second world war the king of Denmark (not a Jew) wore a yellow star and encouraged all his subjects to do the same. They did. It worked. The occupying Nazis were not able to identify Jews.
To my mind this was one of the greatest acts of communal heroism in human history. Spurs fans singing 'Yid army" is not exactly an act of heroism, but comes from the same heroic way of thinking.
I'm an Woolwich fan and a Jew'

Back
Top Bottom