Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Quoted Zomb’s post that laid it out. I didn’t fact check it.

After reading into it, it looks like you’re right. There is no drop down according to the articles I read.
Yeah it seems to be unclear. The bottom 8 definitely don’t drop down but unsure if the play off losers drop down?

Yeah it seems to be unclear. The bottom 8 definitely don’t drop down but unsure if the play off losers drop down?
Yeah UEFA’s official site has no mention of what happens to the losers of those playoff ties to decide the last 16.

I found this ESPN article that does mention “Unlike in previous seasons, there is no drop down of teams from the Champions League to the Europa League after the league phase. Once eliminated, your European season is over.”

I believe this is where Airfixx got his quote from too.
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_/id/37628341/champions-league-revamp-how-competition-work

Yeah UEFA’s official site has no mention of what happens to the losers of those playoff ties to decide the last 16.

I found this ESPN article that does mention “Unlike in previous seasons, there is no drop down of teams from the Champions League to the Europa League after the league phase. Once eliminated, your European season is over.”

I believe this is where Airfixx got his quote from too.
Champions League format: How it will work from 2024-25
I think that’s in reference to the bottom 8 but not 100% conclusive. I think both bottom 8 and play off losers drop out

8 league games and 2 play offs (even if you lose), make it a massive money spinner. Lose in the QF and that’s 14 games

We need to aim for Champions League. Who cares if we can’t truly compete. We will be good enough to finish 3rd place in any group we get in at worst which gets us into the knockouts of Europa anyway and we can readjust our expectations.
The format has changed. There is no more dropping to the UEL.

Obviously always want to be in the top competition but as someone who goes, I prefer the Europa in some ways - play more interesting teams and gives you more grounds to explore too. Plus the loyalty points are handy as not all season ticket holders feel the same!

You always want to be in the CL, but I guess an upside of ending up in the EL next year might be that it’s better for our squad development.

Is the Europa League going to be the same format as the CL?

Stupid fucking thread.

We’re a massive club who should be playing on the highest stage. That’s the CL.

Fuck any of the bullshit reasons for not being in it some of you small time Shirleys have made up.

Stupid fucking thread.

We’re a massive club who should be playing on the highest stage. That’s the CL.

Fuck any of the bullshit reasons for not being in it some of you small time Shirleys have made up.

You’re a stupid fucking thread!!!

angry-mad.gif

We should always be aiming to be in the champions league

We came very close to winning it with a shitter team than we have now, once you get to the knockouts anything can happen

You can’t win it if you aren’t in it

One season out of Europe to reset was probably much needed. As we’ve seen with our squad, it’s currently too fragile (outside the strongest XI) to be playing too many competitions. And the strongest starting XI is always subject to injuries, suspensions and loss of player form.
Missing out on CL would be very bad financially and the best players don’t want to be in the lesser light competitions so bringing in top talent is trickier. We’ve been very canny with recent transfers. VDV was an amazing piece of under the radar business. Same for Destiny & Sarr.
To break through that glass ceiling, we need more of these signings or the safer option of proven talent. The latter profile player are swayed by CL.
No team gets every under the radar signing right. For every Sarr there will be a Janssen
In short, we need Europe to progress.
CL is the pinnacle of European competition.
I wouldn’t be sniffy about Europa or even conference if we actually took the competition seriously. We need this trophy monkey off our back.

100% a good thing no doubt for me. Proper euro experiences under the lights against the top teams playing a day or two earlier in the week giving more time to recover for league games at the weekend and not travelling to Bratislava to play farmers.
Like someone else said we can easily finish 3rd in any group and end up in the latter europa stages anyway so why would you not want it?
Financially way better too of course and our players need to play against better teams not shite ones.

Like someone else said we can easily finish 3rd in any group and end up in the latter europa stages anyway so why would you not want it?

Someone else doesn’t know what they are taking about. Quite scary how little they know actually.

No more group stages. One big league now.
No more CL teams into CL either. You either get to the last 16 or you are out.

From a financial standpoint, of course.

We don't offer the wages that some clubs do, so having Champions League as a pull is definitely something we can use.

I also think because of how those opening 10 games went and where we've been most of the season, it'd feel disappointing not to qualify now.

But I also don't think the Europa League is a bad thing. Aslong as we end up taking it seriously. It's the perfect competition to blood youngsters in. Seeing the likes of Veliz, Bergvall, Dragusin etc all get minutes and show what they can do would be nice.
It shouldn't be... But in this day and age of "you're a CL club or you're nothing" unfortunately it has become the be-all-and-end-all!

You always want to be in the CL, but I guess an upside of ending up in the EL next year might be that it’s better for our squad development.

Is the Europa League going to be the same format as the CL?
It’s a bit like Burnley Saying we don’t want promotion to the prem lge because we will just get hammered every week. Oh yes 100m will pay for a new training ground and a new stand plus even more parachute money to come. Go on then, we’ll give it a go,
at least the Europa will be easier to win with no CL drop downs.

Back
Top Bottom