Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'll never understand this way of thinking, honestly. We're almost certainly not winning the CL next season, but it's more lucrative than the EL so it's better for us to be in it.

This isn't boxing or rugby. It isn't actually any more physically grueling playing Bayern and Madrid than Frankfurt and Betis.

Now, as a supporter who desperately wants to see us lift a trophy, the EL is a competition we absolutely can win if we give it a real go. For that reason, I would be happy for us to be in it.

Why would any football fan not want their team to play in the Champion's League? We aren't likely to win it, but so what?

We aren't likely to win the PL either, so would it be better to get relegated so we can win the Championship instead?

I love this theory that when we are in the Champ Lge we can attract all these world class players.
Who did we sign when we had 4 consecutive seasons of champ lge. Son signed before we got in CL and he was not that well known when we got him.
Sissoko, Sanchez , the list is endless

We are always terrible in the Europa League whereas we have had a couple of decent runs in the Champions League - for whatever reason.

Rather get knocked out by an AC Milan than fucking Gent or Genk, can't even remember which it was..

We need to aim for Champions League. Who cares if we can’t truly compete. We will be good enough to finish 3rd place in any group we get in at worst which gets us into the knockouts of Europa anyway and we can readjust our expectations.

he new format which has been dubbed the "Swiss" system will feature 36 clubs in its group stage -- so four more than the current model -- and those teams will participate in one big ranking which will now be known as the "League Stage" instead of the group stage. Three points for a win and one point for a draw is still the scoring method and fixtures will be arranged in a draw which sees the 36 teams organized across four groups of nine and every club will face two teams from each of the other pots. After eight games, the top eight will directly reach the round of 16 while teams in ninth to 24th will go into a play-off round which sees each tie play out over two legs. The play-off winners also make it to the round of 16 while the losers go to the UEFA Europa League and the teams ranking from 25th to 36th drop out of continental action entirely. At that point, the familiar knockout format returns and the round of 16, quarterfinals, semifinals and final is the UCL roadmap that every competitor will be following.

We definitely want those games and an extra knock out. Ten games will make a lot of money and we could still end up in the EL anyway which is no bad thing (winnable trophy). With our gate receipts, five home CL games plus CL TV will be a huge sum of cash

What kind of question is this??

Of course it fucking would. I can't imagine a single supporter of any other Big 6 club arguing in favour of not playing Champions league football or trying to find positives in missing out.

Honestly. Our fans..... :avbcringe: . .Such a small time mentality

Part of me thinks that Europa would be better , definitely more our level at this point

Would love to properly attack that competition

We've done better in the CL than any other renamed/rebadged inferior competition in recent years so stick with the best if we want to be part of the best.

We need to be in it. Financially and to attract players. Only way we improve overall. Having said that we havent covered ourselves in glory with our recruitment or pushed on when we've qualified before but that can change hopefully.

Plus its a great chance to do it. I mean will Utd, Chelsea and Newcastle be this crap again? Will we have another start like we had this season? Be a real dissapointment not to make it now.

Stupid fucking thread.

We’re a massive club who should be playing on the highest stage. That’s the CL.

Fuck any of the bullshit reasons for not being in it some of you small time Shirleys have made up.

I don't really pay that much attention to the champions league if we aren't in it so I'm really not that fussed by it anymore. In a way I'd rather we weren't if it means we have a proper go at winning a league cup or fa Cup. Coming 4th is good but it doesn't excite me getting there like it used too. I feel like us coming 4th means we neglect domestic cups again and I'm fed up of the same scenario every year of just chasing 4th tbh. I guess this year it's all we have to play for and it's a new beginning so to speak but I don't want another cycle of just chasing a champions league spot every season.

This club needs to be challenging for the premier league title. If we do that we will be playing in the Champions League.

If we are in the Champions League this club needs to be challenging to win it. We got to a final recently, we can win it.

he new format which has been dubbed the "Swiss" system will feature 36 clubs in its group stage -- so four more than the current model -- and those teams will participate in one big ranking which will now be known as the "League Stage" instead of the group stage. Three points for a win and one point for a draw is still the scoring method and fixtures will be arranged in a draw which sees the 36 teams organized across four groups of nine and every club will face two teams from each of the other pots. After eight games, the top eight will directly reach the round of 16 while teams in ninth to 24th will go into a play-off round which sees each tie play out over two legs. The play-off winners also make it to the round of 16 while the losers go to the UEFA Europa League and the teams ranking from 25th to 36th drop out of continental action entirely. At that point, the familiar knockout format returns and the round of 16, quarterfinals, semifinals and final is the UCL roadmap that every competitor will be following.

We definitely want those games and an extra knock out. Ten games will make a lot of money and we could still end up in the EL anyway which is no bad thing (winnable trophy). With our gate receipts, five home CL games plus CL TV will be a huge sum of cash
Yeah so in this system, we will still be good enough for Europa knockouts at worst.

No reason to be lowering expectations.

Back
Top Bottom