Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Bollox to lowering expectations.

What is the point in even starting next season if our expectation isn’t that we have a chance to win?
I’m answering the question of this thread which is should we actually want Europa instead of CL due to squad depth issues. The answer is no. We should want CL because even if things don’t go to plan, we likely are in the Europa knockouts anyway.

I agree with you.

“After eight games, the top eight will directly reach the round of 16 while teams in ninth to 24th will go into a play-off round which sees each tie play out over two legs. The play-off winners also make it to the round of 16 while the losers go to the UEFA Europa League

My god; what a mess.

We are not good enough for champions league . And I don't think Aston villa are either but get the money from being in it don't mind dropping into the Europa league from the champions league and having a good go for that.But I think that rule needs to change it's a bit daft
What a crazy take - we're objectively going very well this season, one of our best premier league points tallies to date; this is in a season where we had a huge amount of injury and suspension problems and international games to contend with. We have a team that looks aligned under a coach with a clear intention and style, and we can add a couple players over summer to help even further.

What makes you think that we are not ready for a run in the champions league? We've had much worse Spurs teams make it into the competition before, why would we suddenly not be ready for it now?

......Quite.

As it was; if Conte wasn't a coward at home to a poor AC Milan we'd have comfortably hit the qtr finals (or further) last season.
Was about to mention that. We were bloody dreadful last season, some very average or past it players and a knackered Son and yet could have easily hit the last 8. Bar a good 5 or 6 sides, most of whom play in the prem there really isnt much to be scared of.

We should always be aiming to be in the champions league

We came very close to winning it with a shitter team than we have now, once you get to the knockouts anything can happen

You can’t win it if you aren’t in it

One season out of Europe to reset was probably much needed. As we’ve seen with our squad, it’s currently too fragile (outside the strongest XI) to be playing too many competitions. And the strongest starting XI is always subject to injuries, suspensions and loss of player form.
Missing out on CL would be very bad financially and the best players don’t want to be in the lesser light competitions so bringing in top talent is trickier. We’ve been very canny with recent transfers. VDV was an amazing piece of under the radar business. Same for Destiny & Sarr.
To break through that glass ceiling, we need more of these signings or the safer option of proven talent. The latter profile player are swayed by CL.
No team gets every under the radar signing right. For every Sarr there will be a Janssen
In short, we need Europe to progress.
CL is the pinnacle of European competition.
I wouldn’t be sniffy about Europa or even conference if we actually took the competition seriously. We need this trophy monkey off our back.

I love this theory that when we are in the Champ Lge we can attract all these world class players.
Who did we sign when we had 4 consecutive seasons of champ lge. Son signed before we got in CL and he was not that well known when we got him.
Sissoko, Sanchez , the list is endless
Sorry but it’s still not logical. There are many other variables that determined who we signed or didn’t.

Many players on the transfer market specifically say they want champions league football. It doesn’t get much clearer than that.

It’s so obvious that being in the CL makes you a more attractive destination than not being in the CL, but it’s not the only thing that matters.

Champions League please.

Too many moving pieces in football to predict anything. We have beaten some decent teams to signings recently, who's to say we cant add / improve the squad.

So may as well be in with the big boys. If we fail, then EL is there.

Next someone will tell us we should focus on the Conference League.

We are not good enough for champions league . And I don't think Aston villa are either but get the money from being in it don't mind dropping into the Europa league from the champions league and having a good go for that.But I think that rule needs to change it's a bit daft

Dreadful line of thinking from a fan of a club that was in the final not so long ago... With a team that was half full of players that many of the fanbase thought were shit or on their last legs:

Sissoko
Winks
Broken Wanyama
Broken Rose
Dele's Brother
Tripper (in the thick of an awful season)
The "I want a new project" version of Eriksen.
Lucas "he's rubbish, guv" Moura.
Ben "he's always been shit" Davies.
Serge "liability" Aurier.

What a crazy take - we're objectively going very well this season, one of our best premier league points tallies to date; this is in a season where we had a huge amount of injury and suspension problems and international games to contend with. We have a team that looks aligned under a coach with a clear intention and style, and we can add a couple players over summer to help even further.

What makes you think that we are not ready for a run in the champions league? We've had much worse Spurs teams make it into the competition before, why would we suddenly not be ready for it now?

......Quite.

As it was; if Conte wasn't a coward at home to a poor AC Milan we'd have comfortably hit the qtr finals (or further) last season.

Random question from a n00b - Which one is better/more prestigious, Winning the PL or CL ?
Probably a matter of opinion.

But CL has better teams in the competition. It’s just a little more luck based, so it’s easier to win if you aren’t the best team. We got to the final by barely scraping through the group stage, winning 2 Rof16 games, and then going 2-0-2 in the QF and SF and winning both on away goals.

Meanwhile, the PL only has a few teams you have to compete with and requires 38 games of excellence, so the best team almost always wins.

I’d expect English fans might say PL is more prestigious whereas foreign fans might say CL.

On a global exposure level, it’s clearly CL.

Random question from a n00b - Which one is better/more prestigious, Winning the PL or CL ?
I'd say it's kind of easier to win the CL than the PL as it's far less games.
But unlike the PL, you lose a tie in the knockout stages and you can't fight on the next week and hope for a slip up from a rival.

Really I'd say winning the CL puts you on the map more and probably pockets more money.
Think I'd rather win the league though.

And back a while, didn’t Hazard choose Chelsea over us for the same reason?
I think you’re right, and to give him the benefit of the doubt, that would have been his reason.

However, as seems apparent now , he was probably given a huge undeclared signing on fee and double his salary paid in to an offshore account. All off the books. Might have swayed him a bit. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom