Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

From a financial standpoint, of course.

We don't offer the wages that some clubs do, so having Champions League as a pull is definitely something we can use.

I also think because of how those opening 10 games went and where we've been most of the season, it'd feel disappointing not to qualify now.

But I also don't think the Europa League is a bad thing. Aslong as we end up taking it seriously. It's the perfect competition to blood youngsters in. Seeing the likes of Veliz, Bergvall, Dragusin etc all get minutes and show what they can do would be nice.

We are always terrible in the Europa League whereas we have had a couple of decent runs in the Champions League - for whatever reason.

Rather get knocked out by an AC Milan than fucking Gent or Genk, can't even remember which it was..

Bollox to lowering expectations.

What is the point in even starting next season if our expectation isn’t that we have a chance to win?
I’m answering the question of this thread which is should we actually want Europa instead of CL due to squad depth issues. The answer is no. We should want CL because even if things don’t go to plan, we likely are in the Europa knockouts anyway.

I agree with you.

Why would any football fan not want their team to play in the Champion's League? We aren't likely to win it, but so what?

We aren't likely to win the PL either, so would it be better to get relegated so we can win the Championship instead?

We've done better in the CL than any other renamed/rebadged inferior competition in recent years so stick with the best if we want to be part of the best.

Yes! A terrible thing. Not that I expected us to definitely finish in the top 4 at the start of the season, although you always hope of course. But if you want to compete for the highest tier of players in the summer it's pretty essential. Not to mention the money aspect of it.

Hate the Champions league and everything it stands for, it's not the sole reason but certainly a big reason why our domestic cups have little interest.

I certainly don't think we are in anyway cl level, but if it means we play on Saturdays rather than Sundays, then I'd choose that over europa cup

Champions League please.

Too many moving pieces in football to predict anything. We have beaten some decent teams to signings recently, who's to say we cant add / improve the squad.

So may as well be in with the big boys. If we fail, then EL is there.

Next someone will tell us we should focus on the Conference League.

Is it likely to be top 5 gets Champions League this season? I haven't properly looked into the extra coefficient places

I’m answering the question of this thread which is should we actually want Europa instead of CL due to squad depth issues. The answer is no. We should want CL because even if things don’t go to plan, we likely are in the Europa knockouts anyway.

I agree with you.

"Positions 25 to 36 are eliminated from Europe. There is no country protection in any of the knockout rounds. Unlike in previous seasons, there is no drop down of teams from the Champions League to the Europa League after the league phase. Once eliminated, your European season is over."

Always aim as high as possible..... None of this "if we only do X in Y then we can concentrate on Z bollox".

If we only make Europa then fully embrace it as a totally winnable trophy.

Last season I was thinking that Europa was better because it was more realistic to win it, and actually is a prestigious trophy in my opinion.

But now I am of the opinion that if we want to be a top club then we need to be in the top competitions as well.

Whats the point of having a stadium like ours and spending all this money just to be in a second tier competition?

We should aim for the top.

Back
Top Bottom