Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love this theory that when we are in the Champ Lge we can attract all these world class players.
Who did we sign when we had 4 consecutive seasons of champ lge. Son signed before we got in CL and he was not that well known when we got him.
Sissoko, Sanchez , the list is endless
Sorry but it’s still not logical. There are many other variables that determined who we signed or didn’t.

Many players on the transfer market specifically say they want champions league football. It doesn’t get much clearer than that.

It’s so obvious that being in the CL makes you a more attractive destination than not being in the CL, but it’s not the only thing that matters.

If you don't compete for everything, you don't compete for anything.

If You Aint First Youre Last Will Ferrell GIF by StickerGiant

Except

View: https://youtu.be/20iio0wLpPA?si=Phq9DJu-aCzNc5Be

Sorry but it’s still not logical. There are many other variables that determined who we signed or didn’t.

Many players on the transfer market specifically say they want champions league football. It doesn’t get much clearer than that.

It’s so obvious that being in the CL makes you a more attractive destination than not being in the CL, but it’s not the only thing that matters.
The upside of CL is offset by the influence and piss poor management under ‘Daniel’.

YOURS

Random question from a n00b - Which one is better/more prestigious, Winning the PL or CL ?
Probably a matter of opinion.

But CL has better teams in the competition. It’s just a little more luck based, so it’s easier to win if you aren’t the best team. We got to the final by barely scraping through the group stage, winning 2 Rof16 games, and then going 2-0-2 in the QF and SF and winning both on away goals.

Meanwhile, the PL only has a few teams you have to compete with and requires 38 games of excellence, so the best team almost always wins.

I’d expect English fans might say PL is more prestigious whereas foreign fans might say CL.

On a global exposure level, it’s clearly CL.

Can I ask what’s the different between Real Madrid rocking up in the CL and everybody and their dog knowing we’ve next to no chance but happy about it…….yet a team say Villarreal or Atalanta are in N17 competing in the Europa League but , oh we’re better than that even though we‘ve better chance ! But 3 weeks ago we drew Man City in the F.A Cup the dummy got spat out people wanted Bristol City, Coventry or Sheffield Wednesday instead.

I love this theory that when we are in the Champ Lge we can attract all these world class players.
Who did we sign when we had 4 consecutive seasons of champ lge. Son signed before we got in CL and he was not that well known when we got him.

We CAN attract world class players in CL but we just don't want to pay the wages to get them

:levywtf:

Can I ask what’s the different between Real Madrid rocking up in the CL and everybody and their dog knowing we’ve next to no chance but happy about it…….yet a team say Villarreal or Atalanta are in N17 competing in the Europa League but , oh we’re better than that even though we‘ve better chance ! But 3 weeks ago we drew Man City in the F.A Cup the dummy got spat out people wanted Bristol City, Coventry or Sheffield Wednesday instead.

f2ceb8a0-5775-4470-a0ab-acadf535247d_480x360.gif

Completely forgot the new format is next year tbh - prob cos we are t in CL this year I’m paying zero attention.
Doesn’t make any difference to the answer though - we should want to be involved 100%

We used the CL money to fund the stadium build. Everyone knows that. Then the first time we had cash Poch bought Ndombele and Lo Celso.
That was a sackable offence right there.

And we paid Tanguy record wages which we still pay part of until today.

Plus since COVID we have only been in the CL once so difficult to say it’s real impact on our transfers this decade.
If we get in there regularly over the next few years it will be interesting to see how it affects who we sign.
Lewis Hamilton or Taylor Swift maybe?? :baletroll:

I'm sure every season we qualified for the CL (bar the self imposed transfer ban) we broke or equalled our transfer record.

I don't really pay that much attention to the champions league if we aren't in it so I'm really not that fussed by it anymore. In a way I'd rather we weren't if it means we have a proper go at winning a league cup or fa Cup. Coming 4th is good but it doesn't excite me getting there like it used too. I feel like us coming 4th means we neglect domestic cups again and I'm fed up of the same scenario every year of just chasing 4th tbh. I guess this year it's all we have to play for and it's a new beginning so to speak but I don't want another cycle of just chasing a champions league spot every season.

More like 70m. 40m for Sanchez. I think we only bought Sissoko because we could pay over 5 years.
You can’t give us credit for spending more than we’ve ever done.
We don’t need to buy big names, we need to buy players who are going to be big names.
Not that Davinson was a big name,

Nope but he was very much expected to become a big name tho. 40m was big money at the time.... Esp. for a development CB.

Biss said he chose us cos of CL.

I suspect Udogie did too..... And Porro.

Random question from a n00b - Which one is better/more prestigious, Winning the PL or CL ?
I'd say it's kind of easier to win the CL than the PL as it's far less games.
But unlike the PL, you lose a tie in the knockout stages and you can't fight on the next week and hope for a slip up from a rival.

Really I'd say winning the CL puts you on the map more and probably pockets more money.
Think I'd rather win the league though.

I don't really pay that much attention to the champions league if we aren't in it so I'm really not that fussed by it anymore. In a way I'd rather we weren't if it means we have a proper go at winning a league cup or fa Cup. Coming 4th is good but it doesn't excite me getting there like it used too. I feel like us coming 4th means we neglect domestic cups again and I'm fed up of the same scenario every year of just chasing 4th tbh. I guess this year it's all we have to play for and it's a new beginning so to speak but I don't want another cycle of just chasing a champions league spot every season.

Agree but going for it now is the only achievement we have left this season. People will argue that is an achievement, but if we finish fifth then that is where I expected us to be so will be par for me. Not winning one of the domestic cups again or even troubling the latter stages is yet again a stain on the club.

Back
Top Bottom