Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I love this theory that when we are in the Champ Lge we can attract all these world class players.
Who did we sign when we had 4 consecutive seasons of champ lge. Son signed before we got in CL and he was not that well known when we got him.
Sissoko, Sanchez , the list is endless

We are not good enough for champions league . And I don't think Aston villa are either but get the money from being in it don't mind dropping into the Europa league from the champions league and having a good go for that.But I think that rule needs to change it's a bit daft
Celtic aren’t good enough for the champ lge, but they are in it every year.

Was about to mention that. We were bloody dreadful last season, some very average or past it players and a knackered Son and yet could have easily hit the last 8. Bar a good 5 or 6 sides, most of whom play in the prem there really isnt much to be scared of.
Very true. It looks like one of the poorest champ lge for a few years. City and Madrid obviously the best 2.. Inter Milan not bad.
not much else. Pains me to say it but if Woolwich get a decent draw they could end up in the semis.

Part of me thinks that Europa would be better , definitely more our level at this point

Would love to properly attack that competition
Best scenario really is to get to the CL group stages and maybe drop down to the ropey league.
But realistically, we won't win either, so best off going as deep into the CL as possible to raise the club profile, bank the winnings and try again the next season in a better position again.

I love this theory that when we are in the Champ Lge we can attract all these world class players.
Who did we sign when we had 4 consecutive seasons of champ lge. Son signed before we got in CL and he was not that well known when we got him.
Poch made us too big for Levy. Thats why mitchell resigned. Suggesting world class players but werent followed up. Mitchell deserves credit signing Son. Ange meanwhile seems kind of manager who dont take shit. Particularly dealing with the media.

Whilst not world class, both of those players cost a combined 60m.... (yuck)

So it's obvious qualifying for CL allows us to spend more than we ever did previously.

Hopefully with our new scouting set up, 60m will be used a lot more wisely. If the previous summer is to go by, I imagine it will.

Poch made us too big for Levy. Thats why mitchell resigned. Suggesting world class players but werent followed up. Mitchell deserves credit signing Son. Ange meanwhile seems kind of manager who dont take shit. Particularly dealing with the media.
The way Ange talks at times, if he got messed about with signings etc it’s not beyond him to walk away.
He packed in Australia after they qualified for the World Cup because he wasn’t happy with what was going on.

Whilst not world class, both of those players cost a combined 60m.... (yuck)

So it's obvious qualifying for CL allows us to spend more than we ever did previously.

Hopefully with our new scouting set up, 60m will be used a lot more wisely. If the previous summer is to go by, I imagine it will.
More like 70m. 40m for Sanchez. I think we only bought Sissoko because we could pay over 5 years.
You can’t give us credit for spending more than we’ve ever done.
We don’t need to buy big names, we need to buy players who are going to be big names.
Not that Davinson was a big name,

I like being in the CL because of the great matchups, but don't think it would be the end of the world if we missed out on it. I do think if we finish below the EL spots then it would be a big issue.

Now, as a supporter who desperately wants to see us lift a trophy, the EL is a competition we absolutely can win if we give it a real go. For that reason, I would be happy for us to be in it.
But is that going to happen or are we just going to mug it off again with a weak team? As I said this time last season, there is a ready made excuse for the team not to achieve every possible thing it could achieve and this "Is It Better If We Don't Qualify for the CL?" is that excuse culture all over again.

This was originally written nearly a year ago and it still holds true:

There is a ready-made excuse for each and every failure from the team this season:

Carabao Cup - doesn't matter that we went out in the 3rd Round to Nottingham Forest because it's only the Carabao Cup

FA Cup - doesn't matter that we went out in the 5th Round to a Championship team because it's more important to secure top 4 and qualify for the Champions League

Champions League - doesn't matter that we went out of the CL because we don't have a team good enough to win it

Top 4 - doesn't matter if we finish outside the top 4 because we don't have a team capable of competing in the CL

Europa League - doesn't matter if we don't qualify for the Europa League because we'll only field a weak team and focus on CL qualification instead

Conference League - doesn't matter if we don't qualify for the Conference League because no one cares about third tier European football and we don't need the fixture congestion

"Doesn't matter if we don't" has been the story of this season and if we don't change that mentality it will be the story of next season as well.
If you don't compete for everything, you don't compete for anything.

Last edited:
Very true. It looks like one of the poorest champ lge for a few years. City and Madrid obviously the best 2.. Inter Milan not bad.
not much else. Pains me to say it but if Woolwich get a decent draw they could end up in the semis.
They’ve got more chance of winning this than the PL I reckon

Post 2010 qualification
Sandro
Gallas (world cup runner up, 2 time PL winner with Chelsea)
Raphael Van Der Vaart. (world cup runner up, 2 dutch titles, intertoto cup!)

16/17 after finishing 3rd (in a 2 horse race)
Wanyama
Janssen
Some columbian from Brentford I've no recollection of
NfuckinKudou mate.
Sissoko
Tainio2

17/18 after finishing 2nd
Sanchez
Foyth
Aurrier
Moura
Llorente
Mostly all of the price of a Kyle Walker

18/19
:levyeyes::pochcry:

Apparently in 19/20 though we signed a few worldies in Ndombele, LoCelco and Sess.

Back
Top Bottom