Would missing out on the champions league next season be a bad thing ?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

"Positions 25 to 36 are eliminated from Europe. There is no country protection in any of the knockout rounds. Unlike in previous seasons, there is no drop down of teams from the Champions League to the Europa League after the league phase. Once eliminated, your European season is over."
“After eight games, the top eight will directly reach the round of 16 while teams in ninth to 24th will go into a play-off round which sees each tie play out over two legs. The play-off winners also make it to the round of 16 while the losers go to the UEFA Europa League

“After eight games, the top eight will directly reach the round of 16 while teams in ninth to 24th will go into a play-off round which sees each tie play out over two legs. The play-off winners also make it to the round of 16 while the losers go to the UEFA Europa League

My god; what a mess.

We won yesterday, so it's this type of post, as opposed to pages strewn with hhow sh!t ENIC or Postecpglou, or the new bloke who is yet to play for us is. So in that regard that's something to be grateful for.

I think we have a squad that is 5th or 6th best in the PL, objectively speaking, so finishing below 6th is a poor return, and above 4th, a season where we have overachieved.

I do however think we have a better squad than Villa, but they have in Watkins, a striker who would have been a good fit for us, and who would make us better.

So in answer who knows, but the CL means nothing, if you can pay more, as you see with cnut club.

We need to be in it. Financially and to attract players. Only way we improve overall. Having said that we havent covered ourselves in glory with our recruitment or pushed on when we've qualified before but that can change hopefully.

Plus its a great chance to do it. I mean will Utd, Chelsea and Newcastle be this crap again? Will we have another start like we had this season? Be a real dissapointment not to make it now.

We are not good enough for champions league . And I don't think Aston villa are either but get the money from being in it don't mind dropping into the Europa league from the champions league and having a good go for that.But I think that rule needs to change it's a bit daft

We are not good enough for champions league . And I don't think Aston villa are either but get the money from being in it don't mind dropping into the Europa league from the champions league and having a good go for that.But I think that rule needs to change it's a bit daft

Dreadful line of thinking from a fan of a club that was in the final not so long ago... With a team that was half full of players that many of the fanbase thought were shit or on their last legs:

Sissoko
Winks
Broken Wanyama
Broken Rose
Dele's Brother
Tripper (in the thick of an awful season)
The "I want a new project" version of Eriksen.
Lucas "he's rubbish, guv" Moura.
Ben "he's always been shit" Davies.
Serge "liability" Aurier.

What a crazy take - we're objectively going very well this season, one of our best premier league points tallies to date; this is in a season where we had a huge amount of injury and suspension problems and international games to contend with. We have a team that looks aligned under a coach with a clear intention and style, and we can add a couple players over summer to help even further.

What makes you think that we are not ready for a run in the champions league? We've had much worse Spurs teams make it into the competition before, why would we suddenly not be ready for it now?

What a crazy take - we're objectively going very well this season, one of our best premier league points tallies to date; this is in a season where we had a huge amount of injury and suspension problems and international games to contend with. We have a team that looks aligned under a coach with a clear intention and style, and we can add a couple players over summer to help even further.

What makes you think that we are not ready for a run in the champions league? We've had much worse Spurs teams make it into the competition before, why would we suddenly not be ready for it now?

......Quite.

As it was; if Conte wasn't a coward at home to a poor AC Milan we'd have comfortably hit the qtr finals (or further) last season.

CL place is our trophy of the season. Otherwise, average to poor mediocre season depending where in the table. I mean losing CL place to Villa or ManU or whoever else, FFS!!!

......Quite.

As it was; if Conte wasn't a coward at home to a poor AC Milan we'd have comfortably hit the qtr finals (or further) last season.
Was about to mention that. We were bloody dreadful last season, some very average or past it players and a knackered Son and yet could have easily hit the last 8. Bar a good 5 or 6 sides, most of whom play in the prem there really isnt much to be scared of.

Where’s that from?

This is the first according to the UEFA website. It’s meant to follow the CL format. So 8 winners and playoff to get in the round of 16.

No mention of teams dropping into it from the CL.

When are the 2024/25 Europa League League stage matches?

Matchday 1: 25/26 September 2024
Matchday 2: 3 October 2024
Matchday 3: 24 October 2024
Matchday 4: 7 November 2024
Matchday 5: 28 November 2024
Matchday 6: 12 December 2024
Matchday 7: 23 January 2025
Matchday 8: 30 January 2025

When is the 2024/25 Europa League knockout stage?

Knockout round play-offs: 13 & 20 February 2025
Round of 16: 6 & 13 March 2025
Quarter-finals: 10 & 17 April 2025
Semi-finals: 1 & 8 May 2025
Final: 21 May 2025

Where’s that from?

This is the first according to the UEFA website. It’s meant to follow the CL format. So 8 winners and playoff to get in the round of 16.

No mention of teams dropping into it from the CL.

When are the 2024/25 Europa League League stage matches?

Matchday 1: 25/26 September 2024
Matchday 2: 3 October 2024
Matchday 3: 24 October 2024
Matchday 4: 7 November 2024
Matchday 5: 28 November 2024
Matchday 6: 12 December 2024
Matchday 7: 23 January 2025
Matchday 8: 30 January 2025

When is the 2024/25 Europa League knockout stage?

Knockout round play-offs: 13 & 20 February 2025
Round of 16: 6 & 13 March 2025
Quarter-finals: 10 & 17 April 2025
Semi-finals: 1 & 8 May 2025
Final: 21 May 2025
Quoted Zomb’s post that laid it out. I didn’t fact check it.

After reading into it, it looks like you’re right. There is no drop down according to the articles I read.

Last edited:
What kind of question is this??

Of course it fucking would. I can't imagine a single supporter of any other Big 6 club arguing in favour of not playing Champions league football or trying to find positives in missing out.

Honestly. Our fans..... :avbcringe: . .Such a small time mentality

Yes. The money difference between Europa and Champions is enough to make top 4 a huge thing, let alone the occasion and allure of playing the best teams in Europe

Back
Top Bottom