Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We really need to hope sessegnon is the real deal. And fuck it play him as left back. Rose is finished

It's funny because I agree yet I'd still play Rose over Davies yet Davies isn't anywhere near his peak.

Davies in for Rose until Sessegnon is fully integrated do you reckon? Tough call to make but ultimately you're right we really need to hope the hype around Sessegnon is real and that he fulfills his potential which I do think is huge.

Trying to ponder the situation heading into the intl break.

The table looks shitty but gooners away and city away now done. Got a result in both. A couple weeks to get Lo Celso up to speed and hopefully sessegnon and ndombele back (and maybe foyth). An optimistic run of games coming up. We’re in better shape than I initially think with how I’ve perceived the start of the season.

We need to get healthy though, and soon.

Times have changed, perhaps the fans perspective should too. There's definitely a disconnect between the fans and ambition; some are happy we're even in the top 4 and some want us challenging for cups and titles. Some are happy with a draw when being 2-0 up and some feel gutted.
You can’t really blame fans for the confusion tho, one minute the manager is on about winning league titles the next he’s talking about a fight to the death for top 4.

A draw today no matter how it came about Is normally a good result away to top a top 6 rival, providing 3pts are returned at Home, but leading 2-0 against what most fans seem to think is a shit Woolwich side (I think they look fucking good) and losing 2pts at the end is hard to swallow, add to that it’s really what happened last week at Home which raises the concerns.....Anyhow, a good break now for 2 weeks, good time to regroup, get a settled 11 and let’s kick on, 11 men behind the ball Crystal Palace next up will be a good indication to where we are.

You can’t really blame fans for the confusion tho, one minute the manager is on about winning league titles the next he’s talking about a fight to the death for top 4.

A draw today no matter how it came about Is normally a good result away to top a top 6 rival, providing 3pts are returned at Home, but leading 2-0 against what most fans seem to think is a shit Woolwich side (I think they look fucking good) and losing 2pts at the end is hard to swallow, add to that it’s really what happened last week at Home which raises the concerns.....Anyhow, a good break now for 2 weeks, good time to regroup, get a settled 11 and let’s kick on, 11 men behind the ball Crystal Palace next up will be a good indication to where we are.

Tbh all bias aside and our poor defending aside they looked really strong compared to last season - lets hope that goes to shit for them.

Woolwich will however struggle against a compact defense with their high pressure high intensity runs... Our defense looked like Swiss cheese, especially 2nd half.

Exactly. As it stands we have an excellent nucleus that needs evolving and it's the first time a manager in modern era has been in his 6th year and needed to do this with our club.

Lloris, Gazzaniga, Alderweireld, Vertonghen, Foyth, Sanchez, Winks, Ndombele, Eriksen, Lo Celso, Dele, Son, Kane we have plenty of depth and decent quality. My issue is a lot of the new guard aren't pulling up trees just yet which is an area of concern as we will need to replace the first teamers with new first teamers.

Davinson is the biggest concern as I really want to like him and see him come good but the flaws in his game leave us so exposed that it may hurt us more than I'm prepared to see. That header today when he gifted it to them instead of just letting it go for a goal kick over the top of him was the biggest moment yet this season that's shown me he simply ain't at the required mindset for what we need. He adds great depth, but will that be enough for him and is it enough for us? Tough call to make on him if he doesn't learn his surroundings more.

To be fair, he's not an RB and has hardly ever lined up out there for us. I think he was mishandled last year, and has gotten very off form due to lack of games.

Not seen any of the game tbh. But this seasons performances have been piss poor, so was this game as bad or a bit of a step up ?
Not sure which like i said i have not seen the game, but obviously saw we were 2 up...any balanced match perspectives are appreciated, please..
Hope I can summarise:
  1. 3 Centre Backs named in the line up - everyone expecting 3-5-2
  2. Poch confirms 4-4-2 with Sanchez as RB. Fingernails start being bitten.
  3. [10 mins] Sanchez given the complete run around for 10 mins then they're done on the counter and Eriksen taps in. So far, so good - the lads look up for this. Xhaka kicking everbody in a white shirt (no cards shown). Promising counter attacks continue.
  4. [40 mins] Son drives into the box and Xhaka arrives about 1 min too late with his studs around the knee area (no card shown). Kane nearly takes the net off with the perfect penalty. I'd say we're fairly happy at this point. Lamela booked for not having is side parting straight enough
  5. [45 mins] Hugo makes his first save of the day.
  6. [45 mins +1] Hugo makes his second save of the day and Danny decides to play out from the back while the full Woolwich press is on. We lose the ball and Lacazette skips past a challenge and thumps it in. Bastard. That's a lifeline we've given them. Xhaka kicks 4 ball boys as the teams head down the tunnel (no cards shown)
  7. [55 mins] Woolwich dominating and the tackles are flying in. Xhaka pulls a stanley knife on Eriksen (no cards shown). Spurs chant "stand up if you're Champions League". Gooners retort "stand up if you've won the league". Everyone stands up.
  8. [59 mins] Best move of the match as we play through their back four only to see Harrys effort thump the inside of the post. Alli comes on to replace the walking red card that is Lamela.
  9. [70 mins] Woolwich players throwing themselves to ground in and around the box. Lots of pressure on Spurs but we're holding firm.
  10. [71 mins] Our defensive midfield decide not to press the ball because that seemed to work well in the last game and PEA nips in to get his studs on it. 2-2. Double Bastards. Polite applause ripples around the Library - Sshhh!
  11. [80 mins] Its pretty frantic stuff but we're getting the odd chance. Lo Celso comes on to replace Sonny and while we're excited to see the new boy there's audible head scratching as our main counter threat disappears.
  12. [82 mins] Lo Celso is clotheslined by Xhaka and Ceballos rugby tackles Alli in the area as the free kick comes in. No penalty and certainly no cards shown.
  13. [85 mins] Sanchez is so tired and dizzy, he needs an IV and this inhibits his heading ability as he does his best to setup their third.
  14. [87 mins] Sokratis starts a fight with Winks and the handbags swing. He's a tough one that defender of theirs.
  15. [90 +2] Martin Atkinson mistakes Xhaka for another player and books him for what seems the 20th card worthy foul. He immediately apologises and invites him and his Mum round for tea.
  16. [90+4] Kane goes down under challenge from Sokratis and its probably not a penalty, but it sure as shit is more of one than PEA got last season.
  17. [95 mins] Full Time.

Maybe Poch thinks it is too lightweight, but I reckon we would have kept the ball much better with Winks, Skipp and Eriksen in the middle.
Skipp is going to have to start soon based on how vulnerable we are defensively. If Dier isn't fit then he's our next defensive midfielder, and he's certainly got better technical ability than Eric does. We can't keep letting teams get mountains of space in midfield. I think Ndombele, Skipp and winks has potential, albeit maybe too lightweight against the top teams

Hope I can summarise:
  1. 3 Centre Backs named in the line up - everyone expecting 3-5-2
  2. Poch confirms 4-4-2 with Sanchez as RB. Fingernails start being bitten.
  3. [10 mins] Sanchez given the complete run around for 10 mins then they're done on the counter and Eriksen taps in. So far, so good - the lads look up for this. Xhaka kicking everbody in a white shirt (no cards shown). Promising counter attacks continue.
  4. [40 mins] Son drives into the box and Xhaka arrives about 1 min too late with his studs around the knee area (no card shown). Kane nearly takes the net off with the perfect penalty. I'd say we're fairly happy at this point. Lamela booked for not having is side parting straight enough
  5. [45 mins] Hugo makes his first save of the day.
  6. [45 mins +1] Hugo makes his second save of the day and Danny decides to play out from the back while the full Woolwich press is on. We lose the ball and Lacazette skips past a challenge and thumps it in. Bastard. That's a lifeline we've given them. Xhaka kicks 4 ball boys as the teams head down the tunnel (no cards shown)
  7. [55 mins] Woolwich dominating and the tackles are flying in. Xhaka pulls a stanley knife on Eriksen (no cards shown). Spurs chant "stand up if you're Champions League". Gooners retort "stand up if you've won the league". Everyone stands up.
  8. [59 mins] Best move of the match as we play through their back four only to see Harrys effort thump the inside of the post. Alli comes on to replace the walking red card that is Lamela.
  9. [70 mins] Woolwich players throwing themselves to ground in and around the box. Lots of pressure on Spurs but we're holding firm.
  10. [71 mins] Our defensive midfield decide not to press the ball because that seemed to work well in the last game and PEA nips in to get his studs on it. 2-2. Double Bastards. Polite applause ripples around the Library - Sshhh!
  11. [80 mins] Its pretty frantic stuff but we're getting the odd chance. Lo Celso comes on to replace Sonny and while we're excited to see the new boy there's audible head scratching as our main counter threat disappears.
  12. [82 mins] Lo Celso is clotheslined by Xhaka and Ceballos rugby tackles Alli in the area as the free kick comes in. No penalty and certainly no cards shown.
  13. [85 mins] Sanchez is so tired and dizzy, he needs an IV and this inhibits his heading ability as he does his best to setup their third.
  14. [87 mins] Sokratis starts a fight with Winks and the handbags swing. He's a tough one that defender of theirs.
  15. [90 +2] Martin Atkinson mistakes Xhaka for another player and books him for what seems the 20th card worthy foul. He immediately apologises and invites him and his Mum round for tea.
  16. [90+4] Kane goes down under challenge from Sokratis and its probably not a penalty, but it sure as shit is more of one than PEA got last season.
  17. [95 mins] Full Time.
Brilliant thanks..
You should summarise for sky or bbc mate..that was way better than most of those dreary tears lol

If we'd have come back from 2-0 down to earn a draw, we'd be happy. As it was the other way round, it feels disappointing, especially as Kane came so very close to scoring and Sissoko had a good chance in the closing seconds, but chose to launch the ball into orbit.

If we'd have come back from 2-0 down to earn a draw, we'd be happy. As it was the other way round, it feels disappointing, especially as Kane came so very close to scoring and Sissoko had a good chance in the closing seconds, but chose to launch the ball into orbit.
Did we play good in your eyes ?
In my eyes we played bad not pressing wall not controlling the midfield and all the time it felt we on a verge of mistake and 2 of the goals was poor play by us ..

If we had won ? we would be happy but happy of how lucky we are not because we play good

Watching the news this morning, we seem to be a club near crisis point.......yet they don't seem too concerned that woolwich still could not beat us.

The second half was disappointing, but we turned up yesterday and with new players to settle in with injuries subsiding I am more optimistic than after the Newcastle defeat.

Poch really needs to sort his starting eleven and subs out though.....

Bit of a mixed bag today to put it mildly. Spurs could have had the game sewn up by half time after catching Woolwich on the break several times but then got hit with an almost inevitable sucker punch with the goal in first half injury time.
After that it was a case of hanging on and in the end a real relief Woolwich didn’t go on and win by a few.
Defensively Spurs were atrocious today, Sanchez had a nightmare at RB, Pochettino should have changed it but hey ho.
That’s twice this season already Spurs have played away and grabbed a point under difficult circumstances but today a lot of the problems were self inflicted.
In most cases our problems are self inflicted this racing into a decent lead only for the other team to either draw level or go on and win the game is symptomatic of the issues we have.
Usually like yesterday it involves us hanging on and getting lucky that somehow from a commanding position we put plans in place to try our best to lose it, we surrender the game and possession too easily inviting pressure onto us which leads to the inevitable collapse.

OK that's easy.

Other than the last window, our refusal to re-inforce our squad over successive windows.

Two or three purchases in EVERY summer window. Refreshes the squad.

Those that insisted that not re-inforcing the squad in 2018 was some kind of strategic master-stroke were just plain wrong.

Season 17/18
Paulo Gazzaniga
Davinson Sánchez
Juan Foyth
Serge AurierGoing?
Fernando LlorenteGone
Lucas Moura
Season 16/17
Victor WanyamaGone
Vincent JanssenGone
Moussa Sissoko
Georges-Kévin N'KoudouGone
Season 15/16
Kieran TrippierGone
Kevin WimmerGone
Toby Alderweireld
Clinton N'JieGone
Son Heung-min
Shilow TraceyWho?

Who would be classed a successes?
Son, Alderweireld, Lucas? Sissoko (maybe, on the back of last season)
15/16 was a good window

In most cases our problems are self inflicted this racing into a decent lead only for the other team to either draw level or go on and win the game is symptomatic of the issues we have.
Usually like yesterday it involves us hanging on and getting lucky that somehow from a commanding position we put plans in place to try our best to lose it, we surrender the game and possession too easily inviting pressure onto us which leads to the inevitable collapse.
Agreed.
Snatching a draw/defeat from the jaws of victory due to an inability to hold on to a lead and collapsing under pressure is a more about players lacking composure than anything

If it was that he would not be training with the squad. Either his body is made of glass or he is one of the players that "Poch is having an argument with".

Poch did hang Dier out to dry in his book about having a conversation with Mourinho about United being interested in him so you wonder what their relationship is like.
Yeah probably a combination of the two, he's had so few games that his giant frame has just got bigger so the little bit of pace and sharpness he once had has disappeared. He doesn't look at the races at his current weight, need him back to the size he was in the earlier years when he broke through as a marauding right back.

So going two up at the immigrants, having more shots on target than them, as well as hitting the post and having two viable penalty shouts is bottling it, is it?
It's not our performance that's pathetic mate.

Have you ever thought we’ve been poor?

Some people never, ever say we were shit. You must be really wondering how we haven’t won everything because we are so fucking good every week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom