Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Difficult to have any confidence in a team that Winks, Sissoko and possibly Dier are still starting games .

How did we come to this state?
Dier has been a good player, but injuries have damaged him recently. Winks is a Henderson type player, which is good to have as they help the play tick along. Sissoko.. well, it's hard to say with him. He was vital last season, but I don't think he'll start when Ndombele, Lo Celso, Alli, Winks and Eriksen are all fit and available.

Difficult to have any confidence in a team that Winks, Sissoko and possibly Dier are still starting games .

Levy not replacing Dembele last Jan.
Levy's desperate last minute purchase of Sissoko for £30m in 31 Aug 2016.
Winks is becoming Ryan Mason.

OK that's easy.

Other than the last window, our refusal to re-inforce our squad over successive windows.

Two or three purchases in EVERY summer window. Refreshes the squad.

Those that insisted that not re-inforcing the squad in 2018 was some kind of strategic master-stroke were just plain wrong.

Season 17/18
Paulo Gazzaniga
Davinson Sánchez
Juan Foyth
Serge AurierGoing?
Fernando LlorenteGone
Lucas Moura
Season 16/17
Victor WanyamaGone
Vincent JanssenGone
Moussa Sissoko
Georges-Kévin N'KoudouGone
Season 15/16
Kieran TrippierGone
Kevin WimmerGone
Toby Alderweireld
Clinton N'JieGone
Son Heung-min
Shilow TraceyWho?

Who would be classed a successes?
Son, Alderweireld, Lucas? Sissoko (maybe, on the back of last season)

Son
Alderweireld
Trippier
Sissoko
Wanyama
Lucas
Llorente
Gazzaniga

I would put in the success list. Son and Alderweireld for obvious reasons. 4 seasons of great performances. We took Trippier from the Championship to a CL final and made a £20,000,000 profit on him. Sissoko has been better then anyone thought. Wanyama was excellent in one season and we STILL made a profit on him even though he's been useless for 2 years. Llorente was more than good enough, Gazzaniga's value has risen tenfold and Lucas got us to a CL final and more than paid his fee.

To be fair, we even made a profit on Wimmer - which is incredible.

So that's 14 signings, 8 you could consider successful, over 50% with the jury still out on Sanchez and Foyth. Not too bad at all.

Last edited:
Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Vertonghen - Rose
Dier
Winks - Lo Celso
Eriksen - Kane - Son

Gazzaniga, Sanchez, Davies, Sissoko, Dele, Lamela, Lucas
Hopefully Aurier is fit. Go with a proper defensive mid, then Lo Celso and Winks to dictate play. Eriksen to supply Kane and Son. Gives us 3 attacking options off the bench.
dont eriksen will start deli instead

Dele being fit could be a really needed shot in the arm. Not just his creativity but his guile! I feel like he loves playing the nomads. I’m backing him to score on Sunday

Son
Alderweireld
Trippier
Sissoko
Wanyama
Lucas
Llorente
Gazzaniga

I would put in the success list. Son and Alderweireld for obvious reasons. 4 seasons of great performances. We took Trippier from the Championship to a CL final and made a £20,000,000 profit on him. Sissoko has been better then anyone thought. Wanyama was excellent in one season and we STILL made a profit on him even though he's been useless for 2 years. Llorente was more than good enough, Gazzaniga's value has risen tenfold and Lucas got us to a CL final and more than paid his fee.

To be fair, we even made a profit on Wimmer - which is incredible.

So that's 14 signings, 8 you could consider successful, over 50% with the jury still out on Sanchez and Foyth. Not too bad at all.

I get what you are saying, but small profits for players who generally did not succseed, I would not call them triumphs. Rather it is opportunity cost written off.

Totally other thing is the reason of failing - take Wanyama - he was absolutely brilliant for us in the first season. So I'd say that it was very good purchase. But as things went, he got injured and never returned. You cannot foresee such developements.

Has there been any news on KWP at all?

Hasn't really been confirmed whether or not it was a tear of any kind or just a tight hamstring.

Lloris
Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen
Sissoko - Eriksen - Winks - Dele - Rose
Son - Kane

or

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Davies
Sissoko - Winks
Lamela - Eriksen - Son
Kane
One of these I reckon.

Second one depends on whether or not Aurier is close to leaving or not - could be that we give him an extra year and move Foyths development back to centre half with the whole issue with Vertonghen and Alderweireld leaving at the end of the season.

Think I'm coming round to the idea of the first line-up. That midfield three is the same that dominated Liverpool and Real Madrid in 17/18 and certainly has the technical ability to win a midfield battle with Woolwich.

What happened to Dier, is he a smackhead or something and this hip injury is a cover up?
If it was that he would not be training with the squad. Either his body is made of glass or he is one of the players that "Poch is having an argument with".

Poch did hang Dier out to dry in his book about having a conversation with Mourinho about United being interested in him so you wonder what their relationship is like.

Lloris
Alderweireld - Sanchez - Vertonghen
Sissoko - Eriksen - Winks - Dele - Rose
Son - Kane

or

Lloris
Aurier - Alderweireld - Sanchez - Davies
Sissoko - Winks
Lamela - Eriksen - Son
Kane
One of these I reckon.

Second one depends on whether or not Aurier is close to leaving or not - could be that we give him an extra year and move Foyths development back to centre half with the whole issue with Vertonghen and Alderweireld leaving at the end of the season.

Think I'm coming round to the idea of the first line-up. That midfield three is the same that dominated Liverpool and Real Madrid in 17/18 and certainly has the technical ability to win a midfield battle with Woolwich.

I'm also available - usually Left Out, but can play other positions in dire (or Dier) emergency (like now) !

Back
Top Bottom