Woolwich v Tottenham Hotspur - September 1st 2019 16-30

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Sissoko/ Verts/Toby /Rose

( Sissoko has been pretty shit and cant ruin midfield but Aurier is a clusterfuck , Rose poor but Davis has no pace )

______Winks_________Lamela______
GLC_________Eriksen_________Son
( Winks is a sideway shuffle, Lamela poor but maybe his aggression would be better put in central midfield. GLC is ready to go but if he doesn't play then Poch doesn't rate him as we have been crap all over midfield . Eriksen is the only one that has shown occasionally any creativity.
______________Kane _______________
(He has to be told to sit deep , as a goal threat. Balls need to be delivered quickly but he has to be available and ready)

P0ch needs to change his game , another static fest will result in a tonking .After a year of possession going nowhere football its likely it will be the same old.

We do not have many options and now Dier unfit then Sissoko needed in midfield. Toby has lots of experience playing RB for his Country and it gets Vertonghen back in the team.

Skipp to partner Winks in midfield with Sissoko at RB? I would prefer that over Eriksen/Alli or even a not yet fit Lo Celso..

Gotta admit I'm not looking forward to this one at all. They'll know we're in a funny period and will be all guns blazing from the off. Poch needs to be on point with team selection and tactics and the boys need to get their arse in gear.

I would TOTALLY ignore any press/media coverage in the 48hrs leading up to a NLD.... it's ALWAYS been skewed (since the 1980's) seeing as most of the media these days has a Gooner slant...
Just read ANYTHING on the build up to the game... IT'S ALL NEGATIVE towards us: Poch is fuming.... Eriksen is leaving.... injury crisis, all the players HATE everything about the club...

and yet all is rosy at the home of the Nomads: No injuries, everyone happy... Emery is the new "Fazzer figure zat Wenger left behind" ...they're gonna use their last DEFEAT as a POSITIVE... and yet OUR last DEFEAT spells the beginning of the end. (Admittedly, against VERY different opposition!)

An anudder ting.... why is it that form only 'goes out of the window' when WE'RE in form...? So that 'normal service can be resumed if they win...?

When it's the other way around, it's 'Service as normal' if they're in form, and we're not = they win! ...strange that, innit?

FUCKING NLD... I hate you and love you and dread you in equal measure!

That sounds surprisingly good. Only replace Rose with Davies, as Rose has been horseshit in both ends throughout the 270 minutes of this season.

But that is some mighty injury list for such a early stage of the season. And what a depth in midfield - Ndombele (injured), Dier (injured), Wanyama (to be sold soon), Sissoko (has to cover for fullback). So only midfielder on the bench will be Skipp. Thats rough. But hoping for the best ofc.
Lamela??

Apparently Wanyama to Brugges is off, and he was training today. I'd be tempted to star him in midfield with Winks and Lo Celso.

With Ndombele missing, Dier likely out and Aurier probably not picked, this now has to be the line-up for me.

-------------------------------------------------Lloris-------------------------------------------------------
-----------------------Sanchez-----------Alderweireld-----------Vertonghen-----------------------
-------Sissoko--------------------------------Winks----------------------------------------Rose-------
-----------------------------Alli/LoCelso--------------------Eriksen--------------------------------------
-----------------------------------------Kane------------Son------------------------------------------------

Gazzaniga, Davies, Tanganga, Skipp, LoCelso or Alli, Lamela, Moura.
JFC why all the dashes?

Since Sissoko is bang on to play with no Ndombele or Dier, I hope Poch goes 3 at the back to provide support on the right. Dele likely won’t start coming off injury, neither will Lo Celso, so hopefully we roll out with this:

Toby-Sanchez-Jan
Sissoko-Lamela-Winks-Eriksen-Rose
Kane-Son

Bench: Davies, Lo Celso, Moura, Skipp, Dele, Aurier, Gazzaniga

Rose has been bad but this is actually a pretty good matchup for him, especially as a LWB. Eriksen almost has to start due to the available squad unless Poch plays both Davies and Rose next to each other on the left in the midfield (barf), Dele starts (unlikely), Skipp sits in front of the back 3 with Winks next to him (meh) or it’s a different formation, but I don’t know who else will progress the ball because Lamela is at best a secondary creator.

I think playing Winks with 2 attacking midfielders will leave him far too exposed. 3 at the back would be good because it provides proper width with wing backs. Aurier has been training, whether he plays only Poch knows, but with no Dier will Sissoko be moved? Wanyama could come in and then have Winks, Wanyama and Eriksen in the middle, with Kane, Lucas and Son up top. Or Lo Celso comes in the middle with Winks and Wanyama as he can play deeper then Eriksen and Son with Kane, Lucas as an option off the bench.

The more I think about this game, I am changing my mind.

This could be blind hope, but we've had an awful week, All the pundits have us down to get slaughtered, Charlie Nicholas, AFTV and Merson are laughing at us. In a weird way all the expectation/pressure is on them.

These might not be the worst conditions to go into a NLD and could work in our favour.

But I think we need to sit in and hit them on the break with Son and Moura, with Kane in a deeper lying role. Don't try and play our usual possession based game as it will leave space in behind for their quicks to exploit.

COYS!

Back
Top Bottom