Wolves (A) - Saturday 11th November 12:30pm KO

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Their other strength to me was Kilman and Dawson at the back. Horrible guys to play against. Strong and dirty, like they’ve time travelled from the eighties. Both very effective against us and a weak referee.
Yeah Dawson knew what he was doing to Son.

Waaaaa the reffffff

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU
Ref was proper shit, no question. But tbh it ain't a surprise considering all the anti-Spurs rhetoric being fed to them by the media...gotta have an impact eventually.

That being said, them refs ain't responsible for we've conceded 4 stoppage time goals in the last two games. That's down to our weak mentality. Period.

Fantastic counterpoint Mick.
I believe in poor and inconsistent refereeing

I believe in it, because they are human beings and have to make decisions based on multiple events occurring at insane speeds, with people who are so steeped in cheating and "simulating" that they get stuff wrong - but don't have time to dwell on it.
Now if they get no word from the VAR team then the game moves on.

All this concentration on corrupt refs, unconsious bias and all of the other bollocky nonsense is a reaction to the bitter taste of defeat.

Suck it up and move on. When we get the band back together the music will start to flow.

Ref was proper shit, no question. But tbh it ain't a surprise considering all the anti-Spurs rhetoric being fed to them by the media...gotta have an impact eventually.

That being said, them refs ain't responsible for we've conceded 4 stoppage time goals in the last two games. That's down to our weak mentality. Period.
not down to non match fit players tiring at the end of games?

Waaaaa the reffffff

Arrested Development Crying GIF by HULU
Well yeah, he was a c**t and the constant incompetence of the fuckers, could, in part be in blame for why Madders is out, because of the amount of nasty cynical tackles on him which rarely got punished.

I was always brought up to play fair, or there is no point playing the game. It seems that the c**ts in charge of the game don't have the same opinion.

And it's not fair on the fans that spends 1000's a year to follow their team, to see dodgy fucking ref's, giving dodgy fucking decisions every fucking week.

It's appalling how bad it has got, it's even worse now with VAR, and the supposed experienced refs that manage it.

And the justification for it is, well it's a part of the game.

Is the problem of Dier not just hoofing the ball up the field because he’s made a mistake, or did he not hoof it at the behest of the manager?

We aren’t a hoof it up the field team these days. Question that as much as we like, but if Dier had the freedom to hoof it, he would.
I respectfully disagree, Abi.

First, we played zero Angeball yesterday from the 3rd min onwards. Absolutely none. It was peak Nuno/Mou/Conte cowardly shite.

Second, even if your manager wants you to always try and play out from the back, that don't apply when you're away from home, leading 1-nil and it's stopage time. It's universally known and accepted that you just kick that ball as far up the pitch as you can, then you waste time by their corner flag, getting thrown ins/corners, playing it short, getting another throw/corner or even free kick...rinse & repeat til the fat lady sings. It ain't pretty and it sure annoys the hell out of me whenever I see any team do that but it's a results business.

Dier's got zero excuse, zero mitigating circumstances for giving the ball back to them like he did...then turning his back like a coward as opposed to laying g his body on the line to stop that cross from reaching Sarabia. That's stupidity combined with laziness and cowardice once again from Eric. And then there's his horror show on the second...Lumina made him look a right mug.

But to be honest, if I'm Vicario, why do I even play the ball to Dier in the first instance? You just know he's gonna fuck it up. Vic should've kicked it long himself.

If any of us actually thought that it would be business as usual playing Dier, Davies, Royal & Holberg, I think we’ve just been brought back down to earth with a very big bang. That was like watching Tottenham of last season. I don’t blame them, there’s just a huge drop in quality from the first 11 down to the 2nd string.
But that WAS 'business as usual' ...throwing away a hard fought 1-0 smash and grab and coming away with nothing!

It's THIS season SO far that's been the anomaly...

Yesterday was Spurs of post CL final hangover era... prime Nuno/Mourinho/Conte (except we MIGHT have escaped with a point at least!)

If the roles were reversed, WE were at home, Wolves scored early and snuffed us out for 90 minutes, and we persistently missed great chances, we'd have all just put it down to 'one of those days'....
As it was, they did what we did to Sheffield Utd... But that was a much better Spurs XI on the day, and a much worse Sheff Utd...

I realise I may have contradicted myself somewhat!

I respectfully disagree, Abi.

First, we played zero Angeball yesterday from the 3rd min onwards. Absolutely none. It was peak Nuno/Mou/Conte cowardly shite.

Second, even if your manager wants you to always try and play out from the back, that don't apply when you're away from home, leading 1-nil and it's stopage time. It's universally known and accepted that you just kick that ball as far up the pitch as you can, then you waste time by their corner flag, getting thrown ins/corners, playing it short, getting another throw/corner or even free kick...rinse & repeat til the fat lady sings. It ain't pretty and it sure annoys the hell out of me whenever I see any team do that but it's a results business.

Dier's got zero excuse, zero mitigating circumstances for giving the ball back to them like he did...then turning his back like a coward as opposed to laying g his body on the line to stop that cross from reaching Sarabia. That's stupidity combined with laziness and cowardice once again from Eric. And then there's his horror show on the second...Lumina made him look a right mug.

But to be honest, if I'm Vicario, why do I even play the ball to Dier in the first instance? You just know he's gonna fuck it up. Vic should've kicked it long himself.
Hard not to agree with EVERY SINGLE WORD!

It's like we're not allowed to grind out a result.... Other teams 'stoop' to do it...

Obviously we certainly aren't allowed to win dirty, cos that's what every other fucker does, but slowing it down, annoying the fuck out of the oppo ISN'T against the rules!

I'd have taken 7 minutes of time wasting durge if it meant we came away with 3 points!

There HAS to be a "Row Z" moment in every game... Yesterday from 90mins on SHOULD'VE been IT!

Do we see a pattern here?! We scored early against chelsea, we outplayed them in every department we we were unlucky not to add a second then went bad to worse and lost the game. Something similar happened yesterday against wolves, scored early, on top for the first 15mins then were on the back foot couldn't get to their half, conceded corner after corner and eventually managed to lose the game in the last minute.
Ange should see this and finds a solution.

Fine but you have to ask yourself why'd they'd be going out their way to conspire against us and to the benefit of who? Because according to those stats it's happening in every match since the Liverpool game with various opponents, what would be the motivation behind it?

There's definitely bias at play but that's just human nature, nothing is going to be 100% fair in life.

You have to watch the incentives.

There’s no doubt that officials who are trying to pay a mortgage and maximise their careers want to avoid the negative publicity that you get if you give a decision against Liverpool and woolwich. UTD and Chelsea too. These clubs have the media power to pretty much ruin an officials reputation.

But that doesn’t explain 4 teams in a row not getting booked against us until the 95th minute or Maddison getting hacked out of the game vs Chelsea despite only playing 45mins. That could never happen to Salah. That foul by Dawson on Son could never happen to Salah.

That’s where you either bury your head in the sand and say “it’s just the way it goes” or “these things even out”… or you ask the difficult questions.

A ref can’t kick a ball and could never fully fix a game but they can fully decide which team gets to play with more aggression. Ultimately, you have to be good enough to win despite any official but the run of games since Liverpool has made me think in a completely different way. I’d say my faith in things “evening out” is hanging by a thread.

Seen the highlights. Really poor game management. I'm all for the football we are playing but in the 91st minute you do the basics and play percentages. Nothing to do with philosophy etc. Just decision making

Well yeah, he was a c**t and the constant incompetence of the fuckers, could, in part be in blame for why Madders is out, because of the amount of nasty cynical tackles on him which rarely got punished.

I was always brought up to play fair, or there is no point playing the game. It seems that the c**ts in charge of the game don't have the same opinion.

And it's not fair on the fans that spends 1000's a year to follow their team, to see dodgy fucking ref's, giving dodgy fucking decisions every fucking week.

It's appalling how bad it has got, it's even worse now with VAR, and the supposed experienced refs that manage it.

And the justification for it is, well it's a part of the game.

Considering how often the two of us have disagreed about things, the fact we are fully agreed about this, speaks volumes.

You have to watch the incentives.

There’s no doubt that officials who are trying to pay a mortgage and maximise their careers want to avoid the negative publicity that you get if you give a decision against Liverpool and woolwich. UTD and Chelsea too. These clubs have the media power to pretty much ruin an officials reputation.

But that doesn’t explain 4 teams in a row not getting booked against us until the 95th minute or Maddison getting hacked out of the game vs Chelsea despite only playing 45mins. That could never happen to Salah. That foul by Dawson on Son could never happen to Salah.

That’s where you either bury your head in the sand and say “it’s just the way it goes” or “these things even out”… or you ask the difficult questions.

A ref can’t kick a ball and could never fully fix a game but they can fully decide which team gets to play with more aggression. Ultimately, you have to be good enough to win despite any official but the run of games since Liverpool has made me think in a completely different way. I’d say my faith in things “evening out” is hanging by a thread.

Name me a referee that has had their reputation ruined by a club?

This is all well and good thinking this way but you should realise that the referees have directly made decisions against these clubs this season, look at Liverpool's 4 red cards this season and their goal ruled out by VAR against us, Utd's goal being ruled out against Fulham, Chelsea's goals been disallowed against us, you'd think that if those clubs had such an influence over referees then why are they also not giving them decisions?

But that isn't evidence - you thinking that the media hating this club is just classic fan paranoia.

The media have been gushing over us all season to the point now where rival fans are saying that we are media darlings, don't get me started on the kind of press Ange has got this season either.

I am not denying they have been saying we are playing great football and that Ange hasn't been getting good press but on the flip side they have also been completely dismissing us, playing down our chances of top four (before the injuries) and also if you heard Neville on commentary during that Chelsea game you can see, clear as day, that he hates us.

In contrast, the way they spoke about the scum last year at this point, they were nailed on title challengers, it literally makes no sense considering how shit they were the year before.

We have always been the unlikeable outsiders since the "big four" days in the eyes of the media, Liverpool fans act like the media hates them but that has never been the case at all, Spurs have always been the butt of the joke.

After we beat Liverpool with that dodgy VAR decision it was ALL they spoke about for the entire week afterwards, did we get that kind of coverage for the shit handball decision in the CL final?

The media has influence and I really do believe that the refs panic/worry about what the media says and it puts pressure on them which results in them making biased decisions, maybe I am wrong but the fact we have just had 3 games where a pattern of yellow cards (or in the case of Fulham, NO yellow card) has emerged since the Liverpool game I don't believe is purely coincidental, especially when you consider the blatent nature of some of the fouls ignored for those teams and the ones we have been punished for.

All my opinion of course but that's just how I see it.

Corruption is a loaded term though and implies that PL referees are conspiring against us for some sort of financial benefit or to the benefit of our opponents.

Think the word your looking for is bias or unconscious bias.
That's a fair point. It's hard to argue we've had unfair treatment for a fair few games now, but doesn't necessarily mean it's corruption. Perhaps they agree to 'dock' a team 3 points unfairly when they fuck up and give them 3 points, like they could argue happened against 'varpool. (obviously , that's bullshit, but I'm trying to make sense of what might be going on in a ref's head and they are fucking knobheads).

Since we lost 3 points 'fairly' against chavs, we were still due the unfair loss, hence them all being complete cunts to us since September.

But, letting teams kick the shit out of us and causing injuries doesn't seem like a sane way of indirectly causing points to drop. It could easily lead to far more damage than intended.

So, to go with your 'unconscious bias' assertion, they are just believing we deserve it, I guess. Presumably they've labelled us as unfairly successful and entitled. So, I wonder how long it lasts until they see us as worthy of some fairness and support?

We need some transparency in the VAR room. I want to know what was said about the slap on Son. But equally, I wonder what was said about Romero's yank on sideshow bob? My thought at the time was all the refs agreed he's got fucking daft hair and got a proper laugh.

My biggest complaint with yesterday's match is that the players didn't "give it a go". We held on to a 1-0 lead until stoppage time and then gave away 2 goals. Pretty much the definitive performance of last season's team.

Where was the Angeball? Where was the "We're going to have a go, no matter what"? It's not about Maddison and it's not about Van der Ven, it's about getting in there, winning the ball, getting it forward and putting it in the back of the net. It's about playing our game, not giving Wolves an engraved invitation to play their game.

The team knows how to get forward and score goals. They did it in the first few minutes. You score one goal, you go on to score another and another and another and another until the referee puts the other team out of their misery. That's the way we're supposed to be playing so why the fuck are we sitting back on a 1-0 lead?

I believe in poor and inconsistent refereeing

I believe in it, because they are human beings and have to make decisions based on multiple events occurring at insane speeds, with people who are so steeped in cheating and "simulating" that they get stuff wrong - but don't have time to dwell on it.
Now if they get no word from the VAR team then the game moves on.

All this concentration on corrupt refs, unconsious bias and all of the other bollocky nonsense is a reaction to the bitter taste of defeat.

Suck it up and move on. When we get the band back together the music will start to flow.
So you don't believe that refs EVER exhibit bias? Or are influenced by the media?

Explain this :

Clattenburg departed England for a job as Head of Refereeing in Saudi Arabia, and later opened up in startling fashion over what happened during ‘The Battle of the Bridge’.

“I allowed [Spurs] to self-destruct so all the media, all the people in the world went, ‘Tottenham lost the title’,” Clattenburg said in 2017.

“If I sent three players off from Tottenham, what are the headlines? Clattenburg cost Tottenham the title’. It was pure theatre that Tottenham self-destructed against Chelsea and Leicester won the title.
“I helped the game. I certainly benefited the game by my style of refereeing.

Some referees would have played by the book. Tottenham would have been down to seven or eight players and probably lost and they would’ve been looking for an excuse.
“But I didn’t give them an excuse, because my gameplan was: Let them lose the title.”

Is that not just one example of where a ref has ignored the rules of the game and took it upon himself to influence the outcome of the game?

The reality is, whenever a ref takes it upon himself to make decisions based on what the media might say, or a club might say, or fans might say, or players might say, then he is being influenced by his own bias or outside pressure and that brings the integrity of the game into question.

Look, you might think it's all
bollocky nonsense
and
a reaction to the bitter taste of defeat.

but I don't want things like this happening FOR or AGAINST us and I don't know how you can outright dismiss the idea of this being more than just incompetence, who even knows how many more refs think like twatenburg.

I'm not a Dier basher but the amount of times he left davies on an island was very easy to see he has to improve or start the Ash yes he may do a few mistakes but at least has the attributes to play in this system

2023 and we’re still churning out Dier, Davies and Royal in defence. How are we still doing this? No coincidence that in every game we have bought these fringe players in, we have lost. Knocked out the cup to Fulham. 2 losses in the league. Fucking sick of these same players letting us down every season
I reckon they get the Villa game then they get cast aside for kids. Would bin them now tbh, seen this movie before

The challenge when he got the ball but got whistled? Plus the the softest yellow card you’ve ever seen combine to mean Bissouma should have been sent off?

Ok mate. Why don’t you just be honest and say you are reaching to find an example but there isn’t a good one.

If you want to say there isn’t an agenda and the ref was just bad because he wanted to help the underdog team, that’s fine but even then, that is a bias. Maybe it’s a morally acceptable bias?

We didn’t play well enough to win. That’s where the focus should be but let’s be honest about what we’ve seen with our own eyes.

Fulham, Palace, Chelsea, now Wolves. Fouls required to get the first card has been very consistent.
Cheers it’s what I was getting at with my initial post, on performance we got what we deserved…nothing
The Liverpool comment was tongue in cheek, we’ve been on the butt end of inconsistent decisions all season, first game a pen vs Brentford harsh yeah but they’ve been given before. Same situation vs Sheffield we’re denied one.

Biss gets a yellow for diving, don’t think I’ve seen anyone else from any other team penalised for that this season

Ange gets a yellow for not being in his technical area. Klopp and Lego head don’t even bother with those lines

Back
Top Bottom