Who's next?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Who's next?

• Total voters
This is shameful delusional nonsense. Our manager is one of our strongest assets. The squad is still a shit show in many ways and in urgent need of major overhaul. Get a grip.

Wouldn’t say a shitshow but we are paying for poor transfer market activity over the past 3-4 windows prior to this one.

Agree on Poch he has taken us up a level but this is going to be a hard season.

Phil fucking Neville - Manager
Gary fucking Neville - Coach
Paul fucking Scholes - Defensive/tackling coach
Nicky fucking Butt - Toilet assistant/goalkeeper coach
David fucking Beckham - Tea boy/dogsbody/cheerleader
Ryan fucking Giggs - Family Liaison Officer

Dream Team - Sorted.

Is it just me who finds it a bit ironic that people who howled against the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester United arrogantly thinking they could just spirit Pochettino away mid-season are now down with the idea of us trying to do the same to Atlético de Madrid?

That's leaving aside the small matter that Simeone trousers over £18.3 million-a-year after tax while Pochettino, easily the highest paid manager in our history, earns £8.5 million-a-year before tax

Just by the way, the likes of Mourinho or Allegri or Blanc would have absolutely no interest in the Spurs project.

300M upfront to remake the squad is the first item in negotiations for any guys like that.

Is it just me who finds it a bit ironic that people who howled against the likes of Real Madrid and Manchester United arrogantly thinking they could just spirit Pochettino away mid-season are now down with the idea of us trying to do the same to Atlético de Madrid?

That's leaving aside the small matter that Simeone trousers over £18.3 million-a-year after tax while Pochettino, easily the highest paid manager in our history, earns £8.5 million-a-year before tax
Nice insight, Bill. Thanks for a sober contribution

Mate, this is TFC.

People are moaning that Vertonghen isn't starting and using it as an excuse as to why we're conceding goals and then moaning in different threads that our form has been shit for 6 months, most of which involved Jan Vertonghen in our defence.

If Poch can't get this squad back to its pomp of a couple of years ago, I frankly find it somewhat preposterous to think an outsider can step in from the cold and do it.

Maybe the Poch era is in its death rattle, there's plenty of evidence of that. But the cold light of day of a new era is not going to be pretty.

Isn’t that tantamount to saying Poch is the best manager in the world?

I think Poch has earned time to sort this mess out.
But lets not kid ourselves, something unpleasant is brewing and it needs to be sorted.

If after 15 games we're sat mid table and looking poor, you have to question whether he can fix it.

My personal take is that we as fans, the media, and some at Spurs over rate a lot of our players and are afraid to change anything.
At one point people said we couldn't upgrade on the likes of Dier and now he's not getting off the bench. We could have got £50m for him a few years ago and reinvested that in youth and vigor. But we stood still.

I know a lot of people think Winks is the next Hoddle due to his passing accuracy, but I watched him spend 90 minutes taking 5 yard passed to Alderweireld or 10 yard passes out "wide" yesterday. He did fuck all.
Lamela runs around and pops up with a goal every now and then. Not much else. Son is better without Kane. Kane is better with Dele and without Son.

We're just a mess trying to get certain players in together and it's not working.

And let's not lose our shit over yesterday. Let's just hope Poch see's what we a saw, 541, no way around it and no way through it the way we played.
I'm tired of us putting 2 CB on the halfway line and everyone else around their box. It's congested and we don't have the players to exploit it. They're all too cautious, no one wants to take a decent shot from the edge of the box, it's tippy tappy crappy.

We need to draw teams out by spreading out and inviting them on to us. We cannot break them down the way we player with the players we have. We NEED to work on ways to make teams open up.

Saying you would like Simeone doesn’t mean you think it will be him.

If Poch goes it will either be Eddie Howe or the Wolves dude in my opinion

Isn’t that tantamount to saying Poch is the best manager in the world?

I think for this squad plus the foreseeable level of investment, Poch is the best manager that we could possibly acquire. He will maximize those resources to the greatest extent.

If we were going to plunge half a billion into it, I think there are both better managers than Poch to select and integrate that talent, and the likelihood that the big stack of money would get those folks interested (United should hire Blanc tomorrow, for instance).

But frankly, after all we've been through, I'm not panicking. Poch deserves the opportunity to fail, if that's the direction this is going.

I think for this squad plus the foreseeable level of investment, Poch is the best manager that we could possibly acquire. He will maximize those resources to the greatest extent.

If we were going to plunge half a billion into it, I think there are both better managers than Poch to select and integrate that talent, and the likelihood that the big stack of money would get those folks interested (United should hire Blanc tomorrow, for instance).

But frankly, after all we've been through, I'm not panicking. Poch deserves the opportunity to fail, if that's the direction this is going.

It depends what you mean by fail?

If he comes 5th, people will say it’s harsh.
6th?
12th?

What’s failing, if playing shit football when you used to be the most entertaining team in the PL isn’t.
Not even offset with a cup, and by his own words it sounds like there is a dressing room about to slip away from his fingers.

I don’t think it’s about letting him fail. We aren’t his experiment....he is paid to deliver and if he doesn’t then I think by Christmas we should be entertaining the idea of someone new.

This isn’t about winning the PL or you’re out....but if you can’t even get your tactics across to your players anymore then what’s the point?
He blames the window.....last year he lauded the new early deadline day.
If there’s players here causing shit then drop them, build, move on.
Stop using them as subs, and put some trust in others and play a formation everyone understands.

But for me, I feel it’s coming to a head with him and the squad. Trippier hinted on it, he’s not the first.

Woolwich is massive now......I can take a loss, what I can’t take is a no show. If he can’t get us fighting and creating for the NLD, then I think it’s over.

I would say failing would be finishing nowhere near top 4. The final table can be deceiving, but if it's April and we're effectively out of the running for top 4 and have no cups to play for, that's failure and that's a moment where its time to really reassess.

I think I’d honestly finish 5th playing well than get 4th like we did last season.
At least I’d see hope for the following season.

This can’t go on.....we are garbage mate

I think I’d honestly finish 5th playing well than get 4th like we did last season.
At least I’d see hope for the following season.

This can’t go on.....we are garbage mate

Oh make no mistake, if we play the way we've played since late January to the end of this season, we are going to completely fail by mine or any other metric.

But I think it's foolish to think that we could forestall that by sacking Poch now or soon and replacing him with somebody else, and even if it wasn't honestly, I think Poch deserves the chance to right the ship.

I have no interest in having a sack Poch conversation until the end of this season, barring some sort of relegation concern, god help us.

Oh make no mistake, if we play the way we've played since late January to the end of this season, we are going to completely fail by mine or any other metric.

But I think it's foolish to think that we could forestall that by sacking Poch now or soon and replacing him with somebody else, and even if it wasn't honestly, I think Poch deserves the chance to right the ship.

I have no interest in having a sack Poch conversation until the end of this season, barring some sort of relegation concern, god help us.

I think that conversation might not even take place if we get hammered by Scum....he’ll probably walk on Monday

To be clear, I don't want Poch sacked. I rate Poch and think he's the man for the job, but I do believe that he's responsible for our current standard of play. Especially our defensive line. They just don't look drilled or coached at all anymore.

To be clear, I don't want Poch sacked. I rate Poch and think he's the man for the job, but I do believe that he's responsible for our current standard of play. Especially our defensive line. They just don't look drilled or coached at all anymore.
Which is very strange under a so called world class manager who used to be a centre-back and Argentinian international himself.

Spot on.

No way Simeone would come to us - why exactly are we a better situation than what he currently has?
Doesnt speak English and if he was to leave Atletico it would probably be to a Utd/City/Bayern/PSG

Back
Top Bottom