What Tottenham will we go back to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

£5 for some craft hipster stuff is common, yes but £5 for a Fosters is abhorrent,.... definitely off the chart in Tottenham!

Meh... Most of London your lucky to get change out if a fiver these days... Even in Sam Smiths.

'Casual Bar Worker'? Well just someone who does matchday shifts in a pub.... Most local pubs employ many matchday only staff. That demand still exists - it will just be in Wembley. Green Man or Torch are going to need many more people on those matchdays obviously.

And you think they just get a magic auto-transfer to those pubs...? Wembley pubs will have their own staffing agenda.

Good point above about the labourers... Hope this'll help cushion the blow somewhat.

In fact, to anyone clicking on this thread, can I ask that people give me a list of businesses they frequent and would like to see stay? On my next day off I might phone around some of these businesses and see what they think, and then maybe to an article for TFC on the subject.

I suspect it's going to be a mixed bag of companies going bust and surviving. All the business would have had the best part of 10 years to plan for this, so putting something away to see them through a lean year or gear up to cater for a non-football customer for next year.

Here is a view of the owner of Jacks Cafe on Park Lane, next to the ticket office taken from an article in the Telegraph leading up The Finale.

Glory nights and Gazza's gun - Spurs prepare to bid a fond farewell to White Hart Lane

At Jack’s Cafe, they have been serving bacon baps and egg sandwiches to hungry fans for 26 years. In fact, the building dates back more than a century. “See the date on that?” Jim says, pointing at an old photograph of what used to be Delight’s grocery store. “1903.”

“Still got the same tiles,” a customer wryly remarks.

For Jim, regeneration offers both risk and reward. No matchdays for a year will have an impact on revenue, and with Tottenham continuing to buy up land in the area, there is always the possibility that another wave of expansion could spell the end. But Jim is more intrigued by the potential benefits.

“The way I look at it,” he says, “we’ll have the construction site here, and so the construction boys will come in. They’re going to build a hotel here, and have you ever had a hotel breakfast? Rubbish. Come over here, for £5 you’ll get the whole lot, fresh. So instead of having one big bumper day, it’ll be a good day every day.”

The one thing I would hate to see personally is a High Road full of fucking wank American food franchise's, shite food, shite service, no culture, bland, slowing killing people with their sugar and fat infested processed food but unfortunatly they will flock here in their droves as a direct consequence of NFL and that fake "Yanky" vibe everyone that will want to get into when they watch fat blokes wear crash helmets and tights get shagged out running for an average 4 seconds worth of play. They will then drive up the rents that only serves to push out other businesses in the area.

There is also the question of the concourses within the stadium itself. All the plans have shown that we building a whole new level of entertainment, we will be the only stadium in England who's concourses will be fitted out to a "retail" style level, this is achieved because we are going to great expense to fit these out with automated fire extinguishers, smoking areas etc. All designed to get you into the stadium and eat and drink before and after each game and event. We have recently made application for licences to serve extra hours before and after each kick off. This makes the stadium as direct competition to the retailers outside the stadium, although Spurs have made it known they want to have local companies to be given a stadium concession. We also hired recently a new Snr Director from Uncle Joe's vast food a retail sector of businesses, if there was any doubt as to how seriously we are tacking this.

Interesting times ahead for the area, challenging is an understatement of which the next couple of years being the hardest to navigate.

Last edited:
Again, how do you plan for it if you live on month to month profits? You seem to be saying that they make so much on match day that they can squirrel away thousands. I'm not so sure that's realistic.

Well the alternative is maybe to borrow, again we can only hope that most of the businesses are ready and in good stead. Has the club said anything about this issue?

but unfortunatly they will flock here in their droves as a direct consequence of NFL and that fake "Yanky" vibe everyone that will want to get into when they watch fat blokes wear crash helmets and tights get shagged out running for an average 4 seconds worth of play
His café will be able to put on a hell of guy buster son those days. Have you ever seen a Denny's breakfast? Obscene!

In fact, to anyone clicking on this thread, can I ask that people give me a list of businesses they frequent and would like to see stay? On my next day off I might phone around some of these businesses and see what they think, and then maybe to an article for TFC on the subject.
Pavro Ocakbasi Restaurant - Tottenham - Turkish
I've always loved grabbing a beer and kebab here if I arrive early doors. The bloke who sits over the coal grill must lose 5kg every time he works.

Last edited:
I suspect it's going to be a mixed bag of companies going bust and surviving. All the business would have had the best part of 10 years to plan for this, so putting something away to see them through a lean year or gear up to cater for a non-football customer for next year.

Here is a view of the owner of Jacks Cafe on Park Lane, next to the ticket office taken from an article in the Telegraph leading up The Finale.

Glory nights and Gazza's gun - Spurs prepare to bid a fond farewell to White Hart Lane

At Jack’s Cafe, they have been serving bacon baps and egg sandwiches to hungry fans for 26 years. In fact, the building dates back more than a century. “See the date on that?” Jim says, pointing at an old photograph of what used to be Delight’s grocery store. “1903.”

“Still got the same tiles,” a customer wryly remarks.

For Jim, regeneration offers both risk and reward. No matchdays for a year will have an impact on revenue, and with Tottenham continuing to buy up land in the area, there is always the possibility that another wave of expansion could spell the end. But Jim is more intrigued by the potential benefits.

“The way I look at it,” he says, “we’ll have the construction site here, and so the construction boys will come in. They’re going to build a hotel here, and have you ever had a hotel breakfast? Rubbish. Come over here, for £5 you’ll get the whole lot, fresh. So instead of having one big bumper day, it’ll be a good day every day.”

The one thing I would hate to see personally is a High Road full of fucking wank American food franchise's, shite food, shite service, no culture, bland, slowing killing people with their sugar and fat infested processed food but unfortunatly they will flock here in their droves as a direct consequence of NFL and that fake "Yanky" vibe everyone that will want to get into when they watch fat blokes wear crash helmets and tights get shagged out running for an average 4 seconds worth of play. They will then drive up the rents that only serves to push out other businesses in the area.

There is also the question of the concourses within the stadium itself. All the plans have shown that we building a whole new level of entertainment, we will be the only stadium in England who's concourses will be fitted out to a "retail" style level, this is achieved because we are going to great expense to fit these out with automated fire extinguishers, smoking areas etc. All designed to get you into the stadium and eat and drink before and after each game and event. We have recently made application for licences to serve extra hours before and after each kick off. This makes the stadium as direct competition to the retailers outside the stadium, although Spurs have made it known they want to have local companies to be given a stadium concession. We also hired recently a new Snr Director from Uncle Joe's vast food a retail sector of businesses, if there was any doubt as to how seriously we are tacking this.

Interesting times ahead for the area, challenging is an understatement of which the next couple of years being the hardest to navigate.
I think if the businesses can survive the year away then they will be in for a better future. It's just that year away that concerns me - and to be honest I think Jack's Cafe are being a little optimistic if they think every builder is going to head to their drum for a fry up every morning - and even if they did, that doesn't save the pubs or the chicken and kebab places.

Great grub. Good staff.
They're superb, i can never understand when it's early and tables are still free but people are queueing out the door for a take away...

Take a load off, get a proper Adana or something, rice, bit of hoummas and a bottle of Efes... perfect way to start a day of football!

Antwerp Arms and Tottenham Star are my two most common pre-match haunts. Both will be hit quite hard by the move to Wembley. I'll be aiming to go to them on visits to the area over the next year, simply to give them a little of the income that I would do. I've occasionally visited Chick King, which I think will be fine as plenty of locals and workers go there - it's close to WHL station and the new development.

I think if the businesses can survive the year away then they will be in for a better future. It's just that year away that concerns me - and to be honest I think Jack's Cafe are being a little optimistic if they think every builder is going to head to their drum for a fry up every morning - and even if they did, that doesn't save the pubs or the chicken and kebab places.
Don't know mate. I would have thought he is booming right now with 1,500 builders on site, same with other shops. This is additional people every day 7 days a week, 365 days a year, rather than the football crowd once a fortnight for 8 months of the year. I've been during the day at lunchtime a number of times and all you can see is high viz jackets with a bag of lunch in their hands, purchased from Sainsbury's to ChickKing. This of course is not a scientific study but it's a hive of activity at the moment just as it will be next year, but I could well have it very wrong and these places are suffering but compared to pre-build and now it certainly feels busier.

Last edited:
As to food venues, I usually avoid them as I come from a country with good food and I know what they're selling is definitely not 100% chicken (plus the kebabs taste like saw paper sometimes)

As to bars, I like coming early to The Victoria at Scotland Green, get a drink or two and play some pool. Closer to KO the bricklayers always struck me as having the best atmosphere with the outside yard (though admittedly I don't usually come in winter so I don't how it's like there when it's freezing...)

Meh... Most of London your lucky to get change out if a fiver these days... Even in Sam Smiths.

And you think they just get a magic auto-transfer to those pubs...? Wembley pubs will have their own staffing agenda.

Good point above about the labourers... Hope this'll help cushion the blow somewhat.

Nah £5 is still off the chart for a pint of piss 4% lager. Show me a pub charging that in Zone 3 away from a football stadium and I'll eat those words. Maybe I just don't go to enough poncy places but even just now, a Browns right near Bank was £4.75 for an Amstel. Matter of time we'll get there obviously. I don't blame them for charging it if they can get away with it, which it largely seemed they could.

As for match day bar staff. Yep Wembley pubs will have a pool of event staff for sure but it's 25+ extra games there, they'll be new opportunities for those who really need/want them.

Well Id expect the local workforce to explode over the next 14 months to get the build complete. That will help the local food shops and Friday evening pub take could increase.

Iam not sure the local pubs and food outlets will be coining it in when we return. The stadium seems designed to take all your match day pounds and a lot will be eating and drinking in the stadium. Let's face WHL bars were woefull and positively forced you to drink local and turn up with 5 mins to go.

We have to make a conscious effort to support the local businesses once spurs return or the stadium will swallow everything whole.
Agree with half of what you said. The stadium will not take all the market away from the local shops. There will be double the amount of people going, and the food / drinks inside the stadium will be expensive. Plus people prefer comfort and avoid a change of habit. It's just the one year they need to adjust their expected revenue and adjust accordingly

Back
Top Bottom