What Tottenham will we go back to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The club should do something to encourage fans to watch away games and sold out home games in the Tottenham pubs.

Could be risky. May require the police if there's going to be a few hundred people in that area at once, and they'll want paying. If it goes tits up and something happens the club will get the blame too.

Does no one here think the pubs or fast food shops closing could be a good thing?

For a long time Tottenham has been a deprived poverty stricken area with social issues. A food shop isn't going to stop that - like some people have pointed out, sometimes a food shop can have just 1-2 employees. Even worse many food shops are used as cover ups for drug dealers - an issue the Tottenham area definitely has.

It seems like a lot of people want a palace (Our new stadium) surrounded by...well, a tip, to be blunt.

The area isn't going to be regenerated and head in a positive direction upon the backs of chip shops. I can understand why many of you have affection for these places - memories and pre-match traditions, a place to go before games that offers you a service you'd struggle to find elsewhere. Although a pub or food shop may be great for you as individuals, I have to wonder if it's positive for the area as a whole to depend on what is essentially dead-end career routes.

You can't have the area redeveloped, regenerated and reinvigorated yet demand the area depends on low-skill jobs at the same time.

Does no one here think the pubs or fast food shops closing could be a good thing?

For a long time Tottenham has been a deprived poverty stricken area with social issues. A food shop isn't going to stop that - like some people have pointed out, sometimes a food shop can have just 1-2 employees. Even worse many food shops are used as cover ups for drug dealers - an issue the Tottenham area definitely has.

It seems like a lot of people want a palace (Our new stadium) surrounded by...well, a tip, to be blunt.

The area isn't going to be regenerated and head in a positive direction upon the backs of chip shops. I can understand why many of you have affection for these places - memories and pre-match traditions, a place to go before games that offers you a service you'd struggle to find elsewhere. Although a pub or food shop may be great for you as individuals, I have to wonder if it's positive for the area as a whole to depend on what is essentially dead-end career routes.

You can't have the area redeveloped, regenerated and reinvigorated yet demand the area depends on low-skill jobs at the same time.
What's your solution? A high road full of soulless chains?

I always go in the Coach & Horses before the game, and sometimes after if an early kick off. The place is packed to the rafters, but I gather only on match days. I would be really sorry to see it go under, and hope it can survive the year coming up.
The Chinese/chip shop and cafe nearby to the C&H are the places I eat before or after the game (again depending on KO time). The chips are the best ever - good to the very last one.
I hope all the small businesses get through to the other side. However the new stadium will be full of eating & drinking places, which will probably attract the football tourists in their droves.

What's your solution? A high road full of soulless chains?

I'm not here to offer a solution. I'm not a civic planner or the like. Hell, I've only been to the area once so it would be hard for me to even suggest what could or couldn't be done.

I'm just curious why everyone seems to be desperate for these places, to cling onto the past when the club is trying to move forward and if anyone was willing to even mull over the alternatives.

As someone who doesn't drink and rarely eats fast food I just find it odd how much of an emotional attachment people seem to have to places that are 10 a penny and may not be the most beneficial thing for the area.

On a side note, the one time I did go to Tottenham there was a lot of stall sellers in a park near the ground. Despite it being quite a sunny day and match day they'd made almost nothing and seemed happy to be offered even 30% of the label price. They seemed gutted and desperate, which was a shock. It didn't seem like having 35k people so close by had done anything for them.

The stadium crowds might do wonders for the pubs and fast food shops, but other businesses around there don't seem to benefit at all. People become entrenched in routines (Same pub before, same fast food after) making it difficult for start ups to even get a look in and giving people a very skewed vision.

Tottenham FC didn't go to the trouble of founding all these colleges and schools for the graduating students to work in low-skill areas. A lot of the pubs and shops around there will probably vanish or be bought up - and I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

You don't get regeneration from loads of vacant shops

Well Id expect the local workforce to explode over the next 14 months to get the build complete. That will help the local food shops and Friday evening pub take could increase.

Iam not sure the local pubs and food outlets will be coining it in when we return. The stadium seems designed to take all your match day pounds and a lot will be eating and drinking in the stadium. Let's face WHL bars were woefull and positively forced you to drink local and turn up with 5 mins to go.

We have to make a conscious effort to support the local businesses once spurs return or the stadium will swallow everything whole.
You're right Paddy. The workers on site probably represent a better income stream that match days. If the pubs adapt to that market by offering half decent pub lunches and tradesman deals then they will get an increase in custom that is steady rather than the fortnightly bottlenecks of match days.

You're right Paddy. The workers on site probably represent a better income stream that match days. If the pubs adapt to that market by offering half decent pub lunches and tradesman deals then they will get an increase in custom that is steady rather than the fortnightly bottlenecks of match days.
How many workers are on site per day? Can't be more than 500 (but I have no scope to measure against so I'm going with intuition). That's quite a competition for so many businesses, especially the ones further down the road towards Seven Sisters.

Also irrelevant to this point, but I assume most workers aren't based in N17 but rather come from all over with their contractors

Back
Top Bottom