What Tottenham will we go back to?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Smoked Salmon

Finest human being of all time
I mean in terms of the area. The pubs and fast food places like Chick King, the kebab shops and so on, rely heavily on match day revenue and that's now gone until summer 2018. One of the bar girls in the Bell & Hare seemed to think that many pub staff might be out of the job by Christmas, even if the pubs survive. Thoughts?

I was thinking about this the other day.
I went down to the club shop one Friday evening and popped into the Bell & Hare for a swift one and there was one other chap in there. Not being from the area and not having been in there on a non match day before it looked really odd being so quiet and empty.

One positive I can think of is that if they all survive one season, then they'll have twice as many people coming into the area on match day from Aug '18.

But I reckon that's a pretty big if for some.

Lay off who ever they don't need, cut down wherever they can and hope they can see the year through.
The pubs might close their gates for a while

Practical thinking, but no less sad and disruptive for those that it effects. Unlike the proprietors who will be quids in if they can whether the storm, employees won't return on double pay to pick up any slack.

I mean in terms of the area. The pubs and fast food places like Chick King, the kebab shops and so on, rely heavily on match day revenue and that's now gone until summer 2018. One of the bar girls in the Bell & Hare seemed to think that many pub staff might be out of the job by Christmas, even if the pubs survive. Thoughts?

Well the pubs and shops have known about the rebuild for some time, they also know they could have many many more customers when we come back.

Therefore I would like to think they have been planning this for years, take the hit now then reap the rewards when we return.

Well the pubs and shops have known about the rebuild for some time, they also know they could have many many more customers when we come back.

Therefore I would like to think they have been planning this for years, take the hit now then reap the rewards when we return.
How do you "plan" for this if you're a little man business who survives month to month?

With respect, Levy only announced we were definitely leaving in the past few weeks. How could the businesses plan?

Yep the pub right next to the ground (No. 8) is obviously a very football pub (in a non-local way).... they've been cashing in for the past year or two on £5 a pint. Perhaps that was necessary to tide them over a year.
I hope there is some local authority support or some understanding bank managers.

Gilpin Bell may be gone. I know that does get some local business but it's a big old pub and under threat from developers.

I think Bricklayers has enough of a local trade to survive.

Bill Nic I predict will survive - even if it got boarded up for a year.

Also I would hope any casual bar worker or mobile stall would be able to up sticks to Wembley for a year just like the rest of us...

Knowing how busy many pubs are on match day, the thought of double potential custom represents a massive opportunity for those who do tough it out!

Yep the pub right next to the ground (No. 8) is obviously a very football pub (in a non-local way).... they've been cashing in for the past year or two on £5 a pint.
Most pints in London are around £5 unless you're in a Wetherspoons. Not exactly "cashing in" given the percentage of the money that they actually get to keep.

I would hope any casual bar worker or mobile stall would be able to up sticks to Wembley for a year just like the rest of us...

"Casual bar worker"?

How do you "plan" for this if you're a little man business who survives month to month?

With respect, Levy only announced we were definitely leaving in the past few weeks. How could the businesses plan?

Even without the foot traffic you would hope there is at least enough to keep the shops/pubs open with a smaller staff, admittley laying people off is awful.

Whether we go now or next year it's been known for a long time so you hope some plans or thoughts had occurred.

In terms of rent and other costs we can only hope landlords and such recognise this will be a tough year but the following could be great and show some flexibility.

Even without the foot traffic you would hope there is at least enough to keep the shops/pubs open with a smaller staff, admittley laying people off is awful.

Whether we go now or next year it's been known for a long time so you hope some plans or thoughts had occurred.

In terms of rent and other costs we can only hope landlords and such recognise this will be a tough year but the following could be great and show some flexibility.
Again, how do you plan for it if you live on month to month profits? You seem to be saying that they make so much on match day that they can squirrel away thousands. I'm not so sure that's realistic.

Well Id expect the local workforce to explode over the next 14 months to get the build complete. That will help the local food shops and Friday evening pub take could increase.

Iam not sure the local pubs and food outlets will be coining it in when we return. The stadium seems designed to take all your match day pounds and a lot will be eating and drinking in the stadium. Let's face WHL bars were woefull and positively forced you to drink local and turn up with 5 mins to go.

We have to make a conscious effort to support the local businesses once spurs return or the stadium will swallow everything whole.

Most pints in London are around £5 unless you're in a Wetherspoons. Not exactly "cashing in" given the percentage of the money that they actually get to keep.

"Casual bar worker"?

£5 for some craft hipster stuff is common, yes but £5 for a Fosters is abhorrent,.... definitely off the chart in Tottenham!

'Casual Bar Worker'? Well just someone who does matchday shifts in a pub.... Most local pubs employ many matchday only staff. That demand still exists - it will just be in Wembley. Green Man or Torch are going to need many more people on those matchdays obviously.

£5 for some craft hipster stuff is common, yes but £5 for a Fosters is abhorrent,.... definitely off the chart in Tottenham!
Mate, they charge a fiver for a warm can or bottle in some pubs around the Lane. There will always be a mark up. But most pubs outside Wetherspoons charge close to a fiver now for a pint. I just don't think the mark up is that significant, and certainly not one that can earn them enough cash to save for a year without good business.

'Casual Bar Worker'? Well just someone who does matchday shifts in a pub.... Most local pubs employ many matchday only staff. That demand still exists - it will just be in Wembley. Green Man or Torch are going to need many more people on those matchdays obviously.
Well, this presumes that most workers are casual, and it presumes that they can dump one employer for another at the choice and go back when it suits them. Is that realistic?

Back
Top Bottom