What makes a legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Legends win stuff.

Watching Dawson and Lennon lifting a cup for this club after there long and faultless service and I will cream my pants.

They deserve success.

Do you not think Dario Gradi is a legend to Crewe fans? What has he won??

Last edited:
Used to think of Robbie Keane as a legend when I was a lad. Really wish he'd have stuck around rather than ruining his career at Liverpool, had the potential to be up there with the most legendary strikers we've had.

I thought he was a legend, I still do a bit, had he not moved to Liverpool I definitely would have said so.

It's not just about ability, loyalty etc for me it's about how they tie in and represent the club. He also one the Carling cup with us so he fulfils that part of the criteria even if it's not a massive trophy it was the first thing we had won in years.

When you compare it to Defoe I remember him in a much more negative way, lots of sulking, lots of off siding etc When I remember Keane I remember the OTT celebrations, high work rate and endless enthusiasm and passion for the club. I also think we should remember that he left under Ramos' control, had Harry been in charge we surely would have hung on to him and he wouldn't have deteriorated as a footballer.

I just wish he hadn't said;

"It's my dream to play for Wolves"
"It's my dream to play for Inter"
"It's my dream to play for Leeds"
"It's my dream to play for Spurs"
"It's my dream to play for Liverpool"
"It's my dream to play for Celtic"
"It's my dream to play for LA-Galaxy"

Think when a few more years pass Keane will be more thought of as a legend IMO, has no one mentioned Ruel Fox!!

Terry Naylor. THFC 1969-1979
243 appearances 0 goals.

Makes Freund look like an amateur

The ultimate cult hero. Very few players would make the effort to give the Yids on the North Bank Highbury encouragement from the pitch.

I thought he was a legend, I still do a bit, had he not moved to Liverpool I definitely would have said so.

It's not just about ability, loyalty etc for me it's about how they tie in and represent the club. He also one the Carling cup with us so he fulfils that part of the criteria even if it's not a massive trophy it was the first thing we had won in years.

When you compare it to Defoe I remember him in a much more negative way, lots of sulking, lots of off siding etc When I remember Keane I remember the OTT celebrations, high work rate and endless enthusiasm and passion for the club. I also think we should remember that he left under Ramos' control, had Harry been in charge we surely would have hung on to him and he wouldn't have deteriorated as a footballer.

I just wish he hadn't said;

"It's my dream to play for Wolves"
"It's my dream to play for Inter"
"It's my dream to play for Leeds"
"It's my dream to play for Spurs"
"It's my dream to play for Liverpool"
"It's my dream to play for Celtic"
"It's my dream to play for LA-Galaxy"

Fucking hell, where to begin with that, Keane is a massive massive cunt.

Defoe doesnt "sulk" he just comments about how he wants to be playing and will fight for his place (do you have an issue with that), which he does then the headline writers do their bit...

Good old Robbie 29th May 2008:
"I'm having a summer off without people ringing saying 'Are you going here, are you going there? So I'm looking fowrad to a nice break and then going back to Spurs next season."

Daniel Levy 29th July 2008
"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect."

As i say massive massive cunt. 2nd to Campbell by quite a distance but well clear of 3rd place.

Out of interest, are you irish?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-343660/Jol-Robbies-anger-problem.html - is that what you mean by sulking?

I think getting knocked clean out, but refusing to come off, and getting up to play on for the remaining 10 minutes is a direct First Class ticket to Legend status... whatever the Brain experts think!

(BTW; I think he shoulda come off, but he didn't, and the Legend was born!)

Add to that his amazing rushing out + save move when one of their was through on goal towards the end

I think getting knocked clean out, but refusing to come off, and getting up to play on for the remaining 10 minutes is a direct First Class ticket to Legend status... whatever the Brain experts think!

(BTW; I think he shoulda come off, but he didn't, and the Legend was born!)

Didnt lose any teeth though?

_42404351_ghaly203.jpg

Fucking hell, where to begin with that, Keane is a massive massive cunt.

Defoe doesnt "sulk" he just comments about how he wants to be playing and will fight for his place (do you have an issue with that), which he does then the headline writers do their bit...

Good old Robbie 29th May 2008:
"I'm having a summer off without people ringing saying 'Are you going here, are you going there? So I'm looking fowrad to a nice break and then going back to Spurs next season."

Daniel Levy 29th July 2008
"I was incredibly disappointed when I first heard not only that Liverpool had been working behind the scenes to bring Robbie to Anfield, but that Robbie himself wanted to go and he submitted a transfer request to this effect."

As i say massive massive cunt. 2nd to Campbell by quite a distance but well clear of 3rd place.

Out of interest, are you irish?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-343660/Jol-Robbies-anger-problem.html - is that what you mean by sulking?

Cant believe your putting Robbie Keane anywhere near Sol Campbell! That is ridiculous.

If you believe everything the papers say then apparently Vertonghan is also a sulker. I'm not going to accept Robbie Keane being a sulker based on a couple of outdated articles and Levy trying to cover his ass when he was rubbing his hands together with Glee getting £20m for a striker worth considerably less.

I'm talking about super Robbie Keane volley goals like this;

and moments like this;

It's a combination of flair, personality and love from the fans. Robbie had that all till he went to Liverpool.

Plus I fucking loved his celebration.

Cant believe your putting Robbie Keane anywhere near Sol Campbell! That is ridiculous.

If you believe everything the papers say then apparently Vertonghan is also a sulker. I'm not going to accept Robbie Keane being a sulker based on a couple of outdated articles and Levy trying to cover his ass when he was rubbing his hands together with Glee getting £20m for a striker worth considerably less.

I'm talking about super Robbie Keane volley goals like this;

and moments like this;

It's a combination of flair, personality and love from the fans. Robbie had that all till he went to Liverpool.

Plus I fucking loved his celebration.

OK bury your head in the sand but you cant then turn around and call Defoe a sulker. But how do you explain the transfer request?

P.S I'm not putting him near to Judas i clearly explained that but as i said he is head and shoulders above the next man in the Cunt Parade

OK bury your head in the sand but you cant then turn around and call Defoe a sulker. But how do you explain the transfer request?

P.S I'm not putting him near to Judas i clearly explained that but as i said he is head and shoulders above the next man in the Cunt Parade

:defoe: <- The only face I could find of Defoe, guess what he's doing.

To be fair your probably right about him not sulking, I just hear a hell of a lot of negative PR these days, whether or not its true.

Very few players are Legends imo. We've had alot of good and great servants of the club sure but the last genuine legend we had was Glenn Hoddle. He ticks all the boxes for me.

1. World Class Player
2. Played for Tottenham for ages
3. Won stuff

don't see how anyone can put the likes of Keane or Defoe in his class. So the better question is if they are legends what the fuck is he?

'My rule of thumb minimum criteria'

Must have have won something at Spurs, be it a winners medal or Footballer of the year, or at the very least helped us to a major final. Must have been good or better.

For me our last legend was Bale, one of the greatest-ever players to wear our shirt, and in all my all-time XI. He won three footballer of the years awards and played a small but significant part in our Lge Cup winning run in 2008 as well.

Naturally I would have preferred him to have done more for us, but I can't deny him legend status for what he did do. He also made us about £80m, which is pretty legendary :)

I don't think any of our current squads are legends - Nearest for me are Daws and Defoe, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Hugo reach that status before either of them. He's definitely the best in his position out of the three of them. Jan too has a shout, but if he keeps on moaning about playing LB, that is 'anti-legend material'. SuperJan's Kryptonite indeed :)

This season could see a fair few legends being made if we actually win something.

Back
Top Bottom