What makes a legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I'm interested in people's opinions on what it takes to be a legend in the modern game to fans of the club.

Is it quality? Commitment to the club? An ability to play against rivals? A blinding partisanship towards Spurs? A combination of these, none of these?

For me, Rafa van der Vaart will go down as a club legend despite a short time with us. Capable of breathtaking skill, blindingly loyal and, ultimately, parted with Spurs amicably. There isn't a week that goes by where I don't think about what a squad this would be with a fully fit Rafa in the number 10 role (though we already have three or four fighting it out!)

Goes without saying - Ledley King, too. Similar reasons - quality and commitment (the latter on a level that few will equal at any club in the modern game).

What're your opinions? Who're your legends in modern football, for Spurs in particular?

500x338xrandy-orton-victory.jpg.pagespeed.ic.bjaPNUPmqm1_crop_exact.jpg

to get beat by this man

Obviously depends on your definition. Basically Ledley is the only player in the 2000s that can 100% be considered a legend with no qualms. There are other potential ones but once again depends on your opinion.

For me, the closest of recent players to legend status is Defoe. His name will live in our record books forever.

Van der Vaart is a cult legend in that you get to say you watched him play and talk about how talented he was but I'm not sure he fits club legend status due to his short period at the club. It will be interesting to see what direction his legacy goes in the next few years.

The reason why Rafa is a legend even after such a short time though is for his performances in the big games, but most notably against Woolwich. I think I am right in saying that only Bale scored more goals (5) vs Woolwich in the PL than VDV did for us (4)

I agree with what's said about Rafa - but the adulation the fans who saw Klinnsman have for him, despite two short stints with us, does make me feel like Rafa would qualify, albeit not in the kind of style that Ledley does.

It's funny, though- I think that a big part of it is how the romance ends. Berbatov undid a lot of the goodwill we had towards him by forcing his move to United through and leaving us in the lurch. Similar period of stay, similar level of quality to Rafa...not as big a name, is all.

Big C makes a good point. You could tell VDV genuinely disliked Woolwich. Wish more of our players would show that same fire against them, perhaps some of them just don't have it. I don't want them to have a pop at them every day like Sczesney does to us because that's small time, but every now and then I wish someone like Townsend or Dawson would show how much they dislike them lot.

Performances on pitch are ultimately what counts though. Is it true Steffen Freund is in the Spurs hall of fame? I loved the guy but I just don't see what he achieved to warrant it, sorry guys.

The waters start to get muddied when you mention players like Berbatov and Modric, excellent players for Spurs but acted like cunts on their way out the door. They are not Spurs legends to me.

Last edited:
Agree 100%... a player with 'Cult status' (like Freund) is not a legend in my eyes... Mitchell Thomas, Jose Dominguez and Gary Doherty were CULT players ffs, and as for Nicola Berti..... CULT is, let's be honest, a by-word for "we all know you're not very good, but fuck me, you're a trier, and good on you for carving out a career at our club you jammy git!"

CULT and LEGEND are two very different animals, and should never be confused!

LEGENDS probably come along once or twice in a generation... I wasn't old enough to see the likes of Blanchflower, Mackay, Chivers or Greaves, but I'm pretty sure, that players such as Hoddle, Perryman, Gazza (depending on your view on how he conducted himself off the pitch) and perhaps Mabbutt could be given the same status. There probably are one or two others (Klinsmann, Ginola or Lineker?? or maybe I am just as guilty of mistaking GOALSCORING superstar for LEGEND??)

Ledley would be the most 'modern' Legend imho, and Bale probably COULDA been if he'd hung around a couple of more seasons... but no, he wanted success yesterday!

Last edited:
Steffan Freund - This man was my first Spurs legend. He was so Spursy, never scored a goal but had that passion for us. (That will be an important word for me in defining a legend...)

Ledley King - No explanation needed really. Quality player, loyalty and works for us now too.

Sandro Raniere - A spartacus if you will. A man of the people, connects with the fans via social media, etc.
I have alot of man love for Sandro, he always gives his all for us and has that quality too.

Michael Dawson - Passion, Passion, Passion. Was at Villa Park at the weekend and lo and behold he was first over fist pumping, shirt off, beaming smile. He is also one of our longest serving players and will be due a testimonial soon.

Paul Robinson - Englands number one, englands englands number one. Cue Robbo turning around and giving us three fingers!!! Connects with the fans and was a long server too.

I will never give Bale and other quality players legendary status as they do not fit my criteria.

Agree 100%... a player with 'Cult status' (like Freund) is not a legend in my eyes... Mitchell Thomas, Jose Dominguez and Gary Doherty were CULT players ffs, and as for Nicola Berti..... CULT is, let's be honest, a by-word for "we all know you're not very good, but fuck me, you're a trier, and good on you for carving out a career at our club you jammy git!"!

NO NO NO and NO. Never put Steffan Freund into the same category as the players you mention above. Just because he didnt score for us is irrelevant. He used to play the Sandro role. He was still a decent player and does not deserve the criticism levelled at him.

Steffan Freund - This man was my first Spurs legend. He was so Spursy, never scored a goal but had that passion for us. (That will be an important word for me in defining a legend...)

Ledley King - No explanation needed really. Quality player, loyalty and works for us now too.

Sandro Raniere - A spartacus if you will. A man of the people, connects with the fans via social media, etc.
I have alot of man love for Sandro, he always gives his all for us and has that quality too.

Michael Dawson - Passion, Passion, Passion. Was at Villa Park at the weekend and lo and behold he was first over fist pumping, shirt off, beaming smile. He is also one of our longest serving players and will be due a testimonial soon.

Paul Robinson - Englands number one, englands englands number one. Cue Robbo turning around and giving us three fingers!!! Connects with the fans and was a long server too.

I will never give Bale and other quality players legendary status as they do not fit my criteria.

I'm glad you mentioned Robbo, I fucking loved Robbo. He was good keeper, not the greatest keeper ever, but he loved the fans and was proper Spurs, and that elevates him to legend status for me.

Think some of you guys are a bit easy with the term legend.

When I think legend I think Bill Nic, Ledley, Blanchflower. I love both but can't really compare people like Freund and Robbo to them.

Think some of you guys are a bit easy with the term legend.

When I think legend I think Bill Nic, Ledley, Blanchflower. I love both but can't really compare people like Freund and Robbo to them.

Im only 21, I have a poster of Billy Nick on my wall holding the FA cup aloft in his retro white top and blue shorts but unfortunately I wasnt around in his era. I know he is a legend. But I cant say he is one because of my age. I have to ask my grandfather about the man!!

NO NO NO and NO. Never put Steffan Freund into the same category as the players you mention above. Just because he didnt score for us is irrelevant. He used to play the Sandro role. He was still a decent player and does not deserve the criticism levelled at him.

Ah-haaa, I know where you're coming from BHS... but ask yourself this... you made the positional comparison of Freund with Sandro.. HONESTLY, would you swap?? Nah, thought not!

Freund was a FANTASTIC player for us at the time... technically limited, but he didn't give a shit, and THAT'S what we loved... now he's our coach and I LOVE that our Coach LOVES Spurs so much... and I love him... but all time Spurs LEGEND... lining up alongside the likes of Chivers, Greaves, Mackay, Perryman, Mabbutt etc... don't think so!

Then again, if we're talking Spurs COACHING LEGENDS, then you may have a point in a coupla years if all goes to plan!!

Robbo a legend? Behave. He cost us so many points towards the end of his Spurs career.

Yet, you put VDV who was with us for what, two seasons? And could only last 70 minutes per game..
There are arguments for and against most players bar a select few.

We werent always a decent team we did have average players who at the time were good for our level.

Back
Top Bottom