What makes a legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Love Dawson but don't you think he has to win a cup with us to be considered a legend?

That is why I would say tangible success for Dawson would propel him to legend status. And even those who would rather he didn't start for us could hardly have a bad thing to say about him as a fella.

Legends win stuff.

Sol won the League Cup with us!!! Oh, I see!

It really is a tragedy when you think about it... he was a true Spurs Legend in the making.
Had he not done what he did, Sol would probably be top of EVERY modern-day era Legends list... (even if he'd stayed just a few more years and then gone abroad!! Bale, are you taking note... a few more years before going abroad!)

For me to be a Tottenham Legend he must

1. Be one of the top players of his generation
2. Have spent a considerable numbers of years with us
3. When everyone says his name the first thing you think of is Tottenham.

This is a cracking point.

I can only think of Man United for the most obvious examples and how their support see things. Ability and longevity is relevant but it's not everything.

Gary Neville. Ryan Giggs. Eric Cantona. LEGENDS.
David Beckham. Cristino Ronaldo. Van Persie. NOT LEGENDS.

This is a cracking point.

I can only think of Man United for the most obvious examples and how their support see things. Ability and longevity is relevant but it's not everything.

Gary Neville. Ryan Giggs. Eric Cantona. LEGENDS.
David Beckham. Cristino Ronaldo. Van Persie. NOT LEGENDS.
I'm not sure about that. Cristiano Ronaldo was voted the best player in the world at United and helped them win a Champions League and a few domestic trophies. He's another in the long line of famous number 7s at the club.

I'm surprised Jermain Defoe is only mentioned once in this whole thread. Surely he's got to be a legend?

Definitely not. Never managed 20 league goals, failed to deliver in so many big games when we needed him to. Every time he went on a purple patch and you start to think he's going to finally prove he can be our top striker, he disappoints us.

I believe he loves the club and I respect his work ethic and desire to always fight for his place, but that isn't enough to give him legend status in my view.

Definitely not. Never managed 20 league goals, failed to deliver in so many big games when we needed him to. Every time he went on a purple patch and you start to think he's going to finally prove he can be our top striker, he disappoints us.

I believe he loves the club and I respect his work ethic and desire to always fight for his place, but that isn't enough to give him legend status in my view.

We love him. But we know him.

I'm interested in people's opinions on what it takes to be a legend in the modern game to fans of the club.

Is it quality? Commitment to the club? An ability to play against rivals? A blinding partisanship towards Spurs? A combination of these, none of these?

For me, Rafa van der Vaart will go down as a club legend despite a short time with us. Capable of breathtaking skill, blindingly loyal and, ultimately, parted with Spurs amicably. There isn't a week that goes by where I don't think about what a squad this would be with a fully fit Rafa in the number 10 role (though we already have three or four fighting it out!)
I think the word legend, like the phrase, "world class" can sometimes be a bit over used! For me, these days a large number of players do not stay at a club long enough to be classed as legends. And that's the first thing for me, when compiling a list of quality's, when branding a player as a legend! Longevity! Commitment! Ability! and Charisma! = Steve Perryman! For me, he set the bar! An of course, many (far to many to list) many over the decades have strived (and achieved) to match it!

COYS!!

Goes without saying - Ledley King, too. Similar reasons - quality and commitment (the latter on a level that few will equal at any club in the modern game).

What're your opinions? Who're your legends in modern football, for Spurs in particular?

With Defoe and his club records I think it would be very hard to not include him tbh. Even if it is in a "best of a bad bunch" of strikers kind of way.
Everyone thinks yid when they think of JD.

You have to look at the definition of the word legend in order to define what a legend is. A legend is a story of auld, with a cracking player doing one thing or another, like those of generations past, some of today's players will become legends, but, not even Ledley is a legend yet.

Sol Campbell is an inverted legend, hated so much that the hatred has become legendary.
Dawson for his work ethic and fighting back from the door to the team sheet.
Bale for being the most valuable player of all time...thus far.
Ledley for being an injured player who cannot train play at top level for so long. Loyalty.

None of the above are legends yet, someone mentioned before something along the lines of looking back and only thinking of Tottenham when you say their name, it is more than true. It doesn't have to be on pitch, nor off pitch. For me it needs to stand the test of time and have a great story to tell the grand kids.

My predictions of possible legends from the current crop:

Holtby
Sandro
Lloris

This is such a personal definition, but for me its anyone who, when their name is mentioned, makes you think 'Spurs' first and foremost. Ability of course has to come into the equation, but as soon as they decide they are better off elsewhere, I don't care if the world and his dog rate you as world class (you can guess who I'm referring to), I lose all respect and affection that I may have had, so I would never class them as Tottenham Legends. Using that crieria, there's not going to be many that make the grade for me.
Trouble is, in the modern game, loyalty is a dirty word and the clubs who have got the serious dosh will always be able to tempt the better players away, even if they don't really need them!
In recent years, Ledley would definitely be one that qualified. I would also make a case for Defoe, BAE, Lennon and Dawson. If they stick around, I can see Lloris, Super Jan and Sandro adding to the number.

Back
Top Bottom