What makes a legend?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Yet, you put VDV who was with us for what, two seasons? And could only last 70 minutes per game..
There are arguments for and against most players bar a select few.

Yeah because Redknapp subbed him regardless of how well he was playing, same thing is happening with Eriksen now. Not winning? Take Eriksen off.

Players and the connection with the supporters also makes them legends to many of us so yes Robo gets a vote from me.

Also Chris Hughton one decent guy and great player for us true loyal servant to the club and fans.
and those that were around will call this man Legend
Alfie Conn

Thing about this is, even though right now we slate the likes of bale, modric and berbatov. Who are you going to beam about to your grand kids when they ask you which players were good 'in the old days' (I.e. now)
Sure I'll tell them how disappointing it was to see them leave in the manner they did, but I'll never forget the privilege of watching them at their best.

Oh yeah and you all forgot jenas

Not having a dig, but does ability come into it? Les Ferdinand was really popular among our fans but he was poor for us.

Zokora was another fan favourite who was ok and had a great engine, but he wasn't technically a very good player.

Thing about this is, even though right now we slate the likes of bale, modric and berbatov. Who are you going to beam about to your grand kids when they ask you which players were good 'in the old days' (I.e. now)
Sure I'll tell them how disappointing it was to see them leave in the manner they did, but I'll never forget the privilege of watching them at their best.

Oh yeah and you all forgot jenas

JJ. Blessed to have been in the generation that viewed him in his prime. A true honour.

For me to be a Tottenham Legend he must

1. Be one of the top players of his generation
2. Have spent a considerable numbers of years with us
3. When everyone says his name the first thing you think of is Tottenham.

For me the only people that I would categorize as Tottenham Legends (from the 60s onwards) are

Bill Nicholson
John White
Danny Blanchflower
Dave Mackay
Jimmy Greaves
Pat Jennings
Alan Gilzean
Martin Chivers
Glenn Hoddle
Ossie Ardiles
Steve Perryman
Gary Mabbutt
Ledley King

Others that would fit more into cult hero status would include Lineker, Gascoigne, Ginola, Knowles etc.
I am sure there will be earlier true legends such as Arthur Rowe, Len Duquemin etc. but never saw them play/know enough about them.

Used to think of Robbie Keane as a legend when I was a lad. Really wish he'd have stuck around rather than ruining his career at Liverpool, had the potential to be up there with the most legendary strikers we've had.

First two games I saw (relatively recent but still formative for me supporting Spurs) were beating Burnley 5-0 and Wigan 9-1.

Funny to think that Keano got 4 in the first, Defoe got 5 in the second and that, realistically, both will be remembered for their limitations rather than all the good they did in Lilywhite.

I'm interested in people's opinions on what it takes to be a legend in the modern game to fans of the club.

Is it quality? Commitment to the club? An ability to play against rivals? A blinding partisanship towards Spurs? A combination of these, none of these?

For me, Rafa van der Vaart will go down as a club legend despite a short time with us. Capable of breathtaking skill, blindingly loyal and, ultimately, parted with Spurs amicably. There isn't a week that goes by where I don't think about what a squad this would be with a fully fit Rafa in the number 10 role (though we already have three or four fightin

What're your opinions? Who're your legends in modern football, for Spurs in particular?

It is a question, a great question, for those of us ( that are 3 parts!!) who want to reflect/compare,
not only on the talent of days gone by, but also the overall evolvement of the "modern" game!
The simplest way to contribute/answer an question like this, is in list form...............

Time In! Regardless of their ability/impact. It has to be a large part of becoming a legend!
Theses days of course, two seasons, is considered to be long service!!

Work ethic! A player you feel is prepared to sweat blood for the club. Week in, Week out!

Glamour! A

Clive Allen.

He hated the scum and left them without playing a minute.

Bale.

The money we got and the pleasure he gave.

It's not always about longevity.

And freund was shit. Anyone that thinks he's a legend should go support Stoke or Sunderland.

Used to think of Robbie Keane as a legend when I was a lad. Really wish he'd have stuck around rather than ruining his career at Liverpool, had the potential to be up there with the most legendary strikers we've had.

Yep, but thanks to his move he's the biggest cunt we've had since Sulzeer the Mental.

The reason why Rafa is a legend even after such a short time though is for his performances in the big games, but most notably against Woolwich. I think I am right in saying that only Bale scored more goals (5) vs Woolwich in the PL than VDV did for us (4)
Is that the same VdV who chose to bail as soon as competition for his place arrived (in the form of Sigurdsson out of all people!) instead of fighting for his place like Dawson did for example, in turn earning himself a new contract, etc.

I don't rate Dawson one bit as a great defender (above average, granted) but his professionalism in that particular instance is commendable - as opposed to the guy who just wanted to be the 'main man'

Next would be BAE and his 'cool' tweets

Last edited:
Think some of you guys are a bit easy with the term legend.

When I think legend I think Bill Nic, Ledley, Blanchflower. I love both but can't really compare people like Freund and Robbo to them.

Agree... in the same vein as the MOST INACCURATELY OVER-USED TERM IN MODERN FOOTBALL;
WORLD CLASS!

Is that the same VdV who chose to bail as soon as competition for his place arrived (in the form of Sigurdsson out of all people!) instead of fighting for his place like Dawson did for example, in turn earning himself a new contract, etc.

I don't rate Dawson one bit as a great defender (above average, granted) but his professionalism in that particular instance is commendable - as opposed to the guy who just wanted to be the 'main man'

Next would be BAE and his 'cool' tweets
I thought VDV left as his wife as living in Hamburg and he moved to try and save their marriage?

I thought VDV left as his wife as living in Hamburg and he moved to try and save their marriage?
There was an interview earlier about it

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...e-left-tottenham-because-of-bad-start-with-vi

With Villas Boas I had a false start. While with HSV I just felt as though she really needed me... It was a club in need. And I wanted to help.

"During our first conversation (with AVB) he hinted that I had to fight for my place. That in itself is not a problem. I have enough confidence in my abilities. But until that time I was 'the guy' at The Spurs. The contrast with the way Villas-Boas saw it, it was just too big. The club had just bought Sigurdsson who had an advantage, the coach said himself.

"In the same period HSV knocked at the door again. Villas Boas came around shortly afterwards and changed his opinion of me, apparently it was not so smooth with Sigurdsson, but then I had already made my choice. About the club I have no evil words, the atmosphere was great, we had a good team, there is a club being built."

Back
Top Bottom