What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

My dad had been going since the mid-1930's. He wouldn't take me till I was 10. My 1st game, October 1958 v Everton. Bill Nicks 1st game as manager. 10-4!! been hooked, and rest of family, since!

My dad had been going since the mid-1930's. He wouldn't take me till I was 10. My 1st game, October 1958 v Everton. Bill Nicks 1st game as manager. 10-4!! been hooked, and rest of family, since!
Wow!
Thats some history.
Respect.

Never had the pleasure of seeing any of Billy Nick's teams play.

The gooner user O'Neil was in charge for my first trip to the Lane.

Didn’t really have much choice, I was born in the North Mid, and not long after I was born, my dad held me up to the window and showed me White Hart Lane.

Pretty much everyone on both my mum and dad’s sides of the family support Spurs, so it was never going to be anyone else!

Aged 7 and a half, the first big game I remember was the 1971 FA Cup Final and the tramp/thief Charlie George lying on his back after scoring his goal against the Scousers and thinking 'knob'. So that ruled Woolwich out. Obviously as a clued up Londoner, even at my tender age anything Scouse was out of the question. I lived in Upper Clapton, went to primary school in Stamford Hill - there was only one option.

You should get some sort of trophy for finding a football shirt on the north side in the 80s, that wasn't Liverpool.
Clapping Applause GIF

I started supporting them around that era too. My brother had a replica top from 86/87, he got bored of football soon after and I inherited the top (still have it). They were always my team but I only became truly full time football crazy watching the 94 world cup.
I actually gave the shirt to a lad in school when i out grew it who was a spurs fan and he gave it to his younger cousin. They are still spurs fans today… I only know six spurs fans in Longford and they are two of them!

My Dad was born on Turkey Street and lived on Remington Rd until he left home, got married and eventually moved out to Hatfield. When I was 3, and my Brother a 18 months old, was my earliest memories of Spurs. My Dad never told a bedtime story throughout our childhood, we got raised on stories of Bill Nic and the 60's side that I was born about a decade too late to have seen properly.

I was Spurs before I'd ever seen them kick a ball, we were too young to stay up and watch MOTD.

My first ever match was the NLD at WHL in 1975 and I was just hooked then. The atmosphere was incredible.

I've seen the best and worst of times with this club, and it's still my first true love.

The one thing I want to see is us as Champions. More than that, I want my Old Man to see that glory just one more time before he pops his clogs, and he's running out of time.

Even more than that, I'd like him to see us surpass what Bill Nic did and be able to share that with him.

My grandad was a west ham fan, lived in east London most of his life. At some point in the mid to late 60s, he took my dad to a spurs game, my dad thinks it was a European game but can't remember. But from then on, he was a spurs fan and it was that way for me before I was even born lol. Brainwashed in other words! Can't imagine supporting any of these other fucking trivial clubs either.

Some nice posts in this thread by the way.

Oh, and just recently, my daughter said she'd like to go to a game. She's never shown much interest in football, it's the crowd I think she likes. I have never been to the new stadium, but maybe next season I can grab some tickets for an early round cup/league cup game and me, me daughter and my dad can all go.

Didn't grow up as a supporter. Too busy playing sport plus we moved around a lot.

Once we settled, Everyone around supported Woolwich so fuck that. That and Ricky V.

John Chiedozie.
My mum wouldn’t let me go to Tottenham initially as she thought it too dangerous for me. However, she allowed me to go to Orient so in the mid-1970s, I saw Chidozie coming through the ranks and it was a great thing. It was obvious he was going further. Laurie Cunningham too, and Glenn Roeder, who was a very accomplished centre back.

My Grandad used to take me to home games in the 60s and I remember him telling me there is only one real football team in London the rest are imposters, I was hooked.

Grew up in the 90’s in regional Victoria Australia, there were no soccer competitions at all. Everything was Aussie rules and cricket.
I started following EPL by playing FPL in early 2000’s with school mates….wasnt locked down by IT so was good time waster. Didn’t really have a team just loved FPL and watching SBS’s Monday night hour long recaps of all the goals.

In Jan 2018 I was on our first (and only to date) European holiday with a stopover in London for 5 nights. With no plans I said to my GF that if we don’t do anything (typical of us to just take in sights but not actually book anything) then I’ll be annoyed as we could’ve gone to an EPL match. A little argument was had and then I tried to book on stubhub. The hotel had dodgy WiFi and somehow I had bought 4 tickets for the two of us…..another argument ensued. We did the free London tour during the day (our worst one whilst on our holiday) so the GF was in a delightful mood. That arvo we travelled out to Wembley for the match. I was keen as mustard, GF not so much knowing it will be cold and given her day so far.
With no allegiances to Spurs or Everton we watched on from the bleachers.
A Kane double and goals to Son and Erikson firmly established the love for the Spurs in the 4-0 drubbing.
After the match we got back to the hotel frozen, and I had to make it up to her the following day. We wandered across to Bill Grangers in Notting Hill for a good Aussie coffee and some ricotta hotcakes (her favourite from our time Sydney). Then walking into London through Hyde Park I stumbled and fell to one knee and popped the question to her (with the ring I was carrying for the previous 4 weeks). She said ‘Yes’ and the rest is history. She now has soft spot for the spurs but understands my love for them and why I wake up at stupid o’clock to watch them.
With Ange driving the bus and some of the other Aussie influences (Munn Jedinak) I am loving the season after the last few. And having not yet attended Tottenham Hotspur Stadium I really want to get back there to soak up the atmosphere……now I just need someone to look after the kids and cost of living pressures to ease!!!

The first time I watched football was the 1990 World Cup. In awe of the England team - in particular Gazza and Lineker I chose Tottenham. Obviously the following year was a roller coaster somewhat but winning the FA Cup cemented them as my team.

Coincidentally, my estranged grandparents originated from Edmonton and were a Spurs family which was a fun thing to learn later on.

I didn't know that it would descend into 33 years of just two fucking lower cups lol but you make your choice. And despite the struggles of the 90s, the despair of being close under Poch and the inbetween events, it's been fun.

Wouldn't change it for the world. My club.

Back
Top Bottom