What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

We have quite a diverse mix of people on TFC, people from all over the world supporting Spurs. And I got to wondering, WHY? Something attracted us all to this wonderful club, something made us all decide "hey I'm going to become a Spurs fan" If we look back over the last 20 years or so, for many newer fans of the club it certainly isn't success, so what made you choose Spurs over say the Chavs or the Scum, who in the 90s and 2000s were much more succesful than us (Bastards) or even other mid table teams from that era, like Villa or Everton.

For me it all stems back to the 1991 FA cup final, I had never been that interested in Football, but loved Italia 90, and that was because of one man: Paul Gascoigne, Gazza was massive, he was everywhere, on crisp adverts, in the papers he was immense (to coin an AVB phrase.) And he played for the team my dad liked. One day that team was on the telly, I didn't know why, I was only a kid, we were playing a team in red, and they were from Nottingham, now at the time my auntie was living in Nottingham, I was obsessed with Robin Hood, and logically you would have thought that would make me lean towards Forest on that fateful day. My Auntie was down visiting, and we were all watching this match together. Now I knew my dad wanted me to support the team in white, but my auntie was trying to get me to support the team in red. Then I saw him, Gazza came out with the Spurs team and I said. "I'm going to support Spurs"

:gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza: :gazza:

It didn't matter to me that he went off after ten minutes, it didn't matter that Forest scored first, I had made my mind up. And to me it seems like it was a pretty good choice.

Gazza went to Lazio, legends came and left...Klinsmann, Sheringham, Ginola, but I still stayed Spurs!

COYS

I was born in Woolwich. Yep. And raised in Thamesmead, but luckily have extended family in Wood Green and Edmonton. My older brother would go and see Spurs with my cousins, and a big part of it for him, as well as the family and friends in North London being Spurs, was the fact that at that time, we were one of the few clubs in London with a following that wasnt full of absolute scum.

When I was about six, in 1982, I remember looking at his replica shirts and tracksuits hanging in his room. So gleaming white and shiny, and when I see that old kit material, it throws back the years for a second!

He had books, duvets, bags, pillows, rosettes.....everything! And I wanted in on it.

Eventually got my first kit in 86...the one Maradona wore, with the white shorts and socks, and my first real heartbreak was the 87 final.

First game was Charlton at WHL around '89, a 3-0 win...standing in PL on tip toes....walking back up Seven Sisters and stopping for chips with my brother. That became a tradition well into my adulthood, and sometimes we'd stop at the same place he used to go to way back in the 70's.

Ahhh, I miss those times.

Things like this is why I could have never continued to support the club if it moved to Stratford.

Tottenham Hotspur IS Tottenham.

Born in north london(park royal),raised in north london(kensal green),and being a proud north London boy I decided to support the pride of north London....Tottenham hotspur football club.One of the three major loves of my life along with my wife and son.COYS!!!!!!!!

Moved to N16 in 2003 from Poland.was a no brainer really.got to support your local team.best ever game i went to so far is got to be Ac Milan away.up the yids

Schoolboy'sOwnStuff said:
sammyspurs said:
I was born in Woolwich.
When I first read that, I thought the profanity filter had changed it, so it didn't make any sense to me. I now realise that you did actually type Woolwich.

Haha, yeah it was a mother and babies hospital, long since demolished.

My brother used to tell me that my aunt lived on "the divide" where one half of the street was Spurs, and the other side Scum. Believed it as a kid, but sounds a bit urban legend now!

Blanchflower said:
I had no choice.

It was mentioned on the podcast that you're Danny's grandson. I grew up a few miles from where he was born, and played football on Danny Blanchflower pitches a few times. We actually train at Shorts (a coupla doors up from there now).

I guess being from Belfast, Danny Blanchflower would have been enough of a draw for me to support Spurs, but I didn't know anything about him until several years ago. This city is George Best crazy - and, as mentioned before, the country is absolutely riddled...infested... with Man Utd "fans".

My grandfather was a Liverpool fan and he'd buy me and my brother Liverpool kits and the like. We have family there as he married into a Liverpool family. In my teenage years I fell away from football and played tennis and basketball.

Like the first post in this thread, one thing pretty much made my mind up to follow Spurs as my interest grew again: Gazza.

I've always admired those types of players: Gazza, Waddle, Maradona, Giggs - players with the ball at their feet, taking people on was the most enjoyable thing about the game for me. Today I love watching Lennon and Bale, even Dembele and, when he was with us, Modric - the way he'd wriggle out of tight spaces and move the ball - brilliant stuff.

Anyway, I got "Blanchflower 4" on the back of last seasons jersey.
Might do it again on this seasons.

born on hornsey rd, where it meets holloway rd [google earth it] was 5 in 1971. when them cunts cheated to win the double, i was already spurs , but my aunt told me i had to support arseanal coz they won the double. i said fuck off bollox your a cunt. [or at least thought it] Tottenham Hotspur, it just sounds and looks a bit special. know what i mean ?

The cup run of 1991 to be honest. So I guess that makes me a glory hunter...! :ossie:

I only got into football at about age 9, my first team was Everton, very briefly.

Dad was a Sunderland fan.

A side containing both Gazza and Lineker, as well as a very under-rated Stewart and the collossal Mabbutt, was very attractive to a 10 year old me. Been hooked ever since.

Played Fifa a lot in college. Started to grow out of my Liverpool Fifa-fan stage and was interested in Spurs. British United fan that I knew through some people told me I couldn't support Spurs because "they're a bunch of Jews," which I thought was odd and poor reason to not support a team, so I did my homework and I fell in love.

My older brother started supporting Spurs in the 70's, so I followed him. My first season we won FA Cup and were runners up in the league cup (1982), I thought glory was only around the corner. 4 cups and 30 years later, the glory has been the ups and downs of supporting Spurs and not the silverware. :coys:

Back
Top Bottom