What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I wanted a club that won trophies all the time , had loads of money and always had loads of emty seats so i can easily come to see a game

oh and red ,yes definitely a club that has red as a main colour

Simply put: I was an eleven year old prick that had (and still do) Irish relatives. World Cup 2002 was approaching, I got myself a Team Ireland shirt with Keane 6 on it.. Mistakingly, I thought it was Robbie's shirt and followed him to WHL.

Best mistake I ever made!
:adegrin: :ledleylick:

LewisSpurs said:
Watching us as I've grown up has been a rollercoaster, and two games that I have watched always stick in the mind. Wimbledon 2-6 Tottenham where I got to see first hand the magic of Jurgen Klinsmann, and the 5-4 game vs the Woolwich which was an amazing game to be at despite the result, and being sat close to the away section was interesting to say the least when I was there for my 14th birthday haha.

Mentioning the 6-2 Wimbledon game there has just refreshed my memory of one of the most memorable games of Spurs I had as a kid, the 1999 semi-final 2nd leg which we won 1-0. I remember seeing Iversen chip Sullivan for the winner which meant it would be the 1st time I got to see Spurs in a cup final, being only 2 months old for '91.

I'm an overweight patriotic American cunt. Full disclosure.

I'd tried to appreciate "soccer" over the years but never really "got it until" the most recent World Cup. For whatever reason, the beauty of the game finally struck me, the movement all over the field, away from the ball. The swift decision-making, thrust and parry, feint and dodge. The World Cup ended, but I needed more "football." I have a cunty Chelsea-supporting friend who suggested I look into EPL.

I didn't want a world-beating bandwagoneering trophy-gathering cunt-magnet club. I'm not going to be that insufferable douche who chooses to follow baseball and aligns with the Yankees. I'll not be that festering cunt who chooses to follow American college basketball and supports Duke (actually, I went to Duke and love them dearly, and yet another reason not to choose another Yankee-like club). Therefore, I could not support ManU.

I wanted a London club on the theory that if my fandom took root, it might be reasonably easy to see them play in person some day.

Chelsea was straight out due not only to my cunty friend but the whole oligarch thing. Fuck that bullshit.

I came damn close to supporting Woolwich. Red. "Gunners" seemed kinda cool. This was a VERY close call.

Ultimately though, I chose Spurs because of its association with the Jews. I'd spent a memorable afternoon years ago with a bunch of Ajax supporters (remind me to tell you that story some time). I learned how Ajax was associated with Jews, and once I learned the same about Spurs, I knew this was my team. Spurs, then. Spurs it was.

Here's the weird part.

This shit has taken ridiculous hold and ruined/enriched my life in amazing measure. My wife and family cannot BELIEVE how passionate I've become for Spurs. Neither can I, really. There's something about the sport - it's relentlessness, non-stop, an unrelenting exercise in wonder and dread. I enjoy many American sports, but at least we get commercial breaks and a chance to catch our breath. I died ten thousand deaths in that ManU match. I shit my pants four thousand times.

And I confess the heartbreak of it appeals to me. I love to be quality but a bit of an underdog. I love to have both a proud tradition and ambition yet unfulfilled. I love that the promised land lies ahead. And I don't mind, even love it more in a way, the brutal soul-sucking futility of Spurs... like supporting the Red Sox when I was a kid (I was watching Bill Buckner live and cried bitterly for hours).

When we got fucked by fucking Didier Fucking Drogba's penalty in the CL against Munich it killed me and hurt me and irked me and felt so... Spurs.

It's what I wanted. It's what I got.

We can beat ManU at Old Trafford and feel like we won the Super Bowl. FUCK YEAH!!! If those cunty cunts beat us that day they'd say "ho hum, another day at the office." I'll take Spurs all day, every day, all the days.

Glory is coming. And I'll be there for it. This is all I need to know.

And then of course there's this forum. You guys are funny as fuck. So there's that, too.

Yitt said:
I'm an overweight patriotic American cunt. Full disclosure.

I'd tried to appreciate "soccer" over the years but never really "got it until" the most recent World Cup. For whatever reason, the beauty of the game finally struck me, the movement all over the field, away from the ball. The swift decision-making, thrust and parry, feint and dodge. The World Cup ended, but I needed more "football." I have a cunty Chelsea-supporting friend who suggested I look into EPL.

I didn't want a world-beating bandwagoneering trophy-gathering cunt-magnet club. I'm not going to be that insufferable douche who chooses to follow baseball and aligns with the Yankees. I'll not be that festering cunt who chooses to follow American college basketball and supports Duke (actually, I went to Duke and love them dearly, and yet another reason not to choose another Yankee-like club). Therefore, I could not support ManU.

I wanted a London club on the theory that if my fandom took root, it might be reasonably easy to see them play in person some day.

Chelsea was straight out due not only to my cunty friend but the whole oligarch thing. Fuck that bullshit.

I came damn close to supporting Woolwich. Red. "Gunners" seemed kinda cool. This was a VERY close call.

Ultimately though, I chose Spurs because of its association with the Jews. I'd spent a memorable afternoon years ago with a bunch of Ajax supporters (remind me to tell you that story some time). I learned how Ajax was associated with Jews, and once I learned the same about Spurs, I knew this was my team. Spurs, then. Spurs it was.

Here's the weird part.

This shit has taken ridiculous hold and ruined/enriched my life in amazing measure. My wife and family cannot BELIEVE how passionate I've become for Spurs. Neither can I, really. There's something about the sport - it's relentlessness, non-stop, an unrelenting exercise in wonder and dread. I enjoy many American sports, but at least we get commercial breaks and a chance to catch our breath. I died ten thousand deaths in that ManU match. I shit my pants four thousand times.

And I confess the heartbreak of it appeals to me. I love to be quality but a bit of an underdog. I love to have both a proud tradition and ambition yet unfulfilled. I love that the promised land lies ahead. And I don't mind, even love it more in a way, the brutal soul-sucking futility of Spurs... like supporting the Red Sox when I was a kid (I was watching Bill Buckner live and cried bitterly for hours).

When we got fucked by fucking Didier Fucking Drogba's penalty in the CL against Munich it killed me and hurt me and irked me and felt so... Spurs.

It's what I wanted. It's what I got.

We can beat ManU at Old Trafford and feel like we won the Super Bowl. FUCK YEAH!!! If those cunty cunts beat us that day they'd say "ho hum, another day at the office." I'll take Spurs all day, every day, all the days.

Glory is coming. And I'll be there for it. This is all I need to know.

And then of course there's this forum. You guys are funny as fuck. So there's that, too.

brilliant.

i'd bonus rep ya for artistic and original use of the word 'cunt' [cunt-magnet im nicking btw] but i cant.

I always played soccer growing up but not seriously, just normal Saturday morning nobody knew what they were doing. My real sport was baseball and I played that very competitively up until my arm fell apart at age 16-17. At that point I needed something to do besides masturbate and started playing soccer at the park with my Mexican friends. I realized that I was better than I remembered and got into a sunday mens league with some pretty decent players. Around this time I got a new TV package to watch more baseball, but it included this new channel called "Fox Soccer". I thought this could be cool and started watching this premier league thing that you guys got goin on. I was a complete neutral going into it, and never had a moment when I said "ok I'm going to pick a team" I was just kind of drawn to Spurs. Before I knew it I picked them every time I played FIFA, and had a Lennon jersey.

Been to the lane once, and I hope to get back there next month.

Also, my goal is for my son to say "my dad" in one of these threads :coys:

Yitt said:
I didn't want a world-beating bandwagoneering…

I wanted a London club…

Ultimately though, I chose Spurs because of its association with the Jews.
I was going to keep quiet on this thread, but the story here is so very similar to mine, that I figured I should tell it. I knew about Spurs somehow during the 90s, since the name was familiar when I finally picked it up (my best guess is that I heard about it during discussions of Klinsmann during the 94 WC). But when it became clear that I was actually into football (late 90s), I knew I wanted to build an allegiance with an English side (I already had a Spanish club (Barça), a French club (Saint-Étienne), and an Italian club (Roma)). The above were my criteria, though the third point is better expressed as "strong multi-ethnic/minority support without a history of fascist appeasing".

Salman Rushdie wrote an article in The New Yorker in 1999 about Spurs, and I was hooked. Hard to pick a worse time to become a fan, but like we always say… we don't choose these things; they choose us. Two (?) seasons later, the Kappa kits came in, and, as Kappa was my top, top brand at the time, I knew I had made the right choice.

From my dad, I inherited being a Flamengo fan and a Brazil fan. Of all the clubs mentioned in this post, there's Spurs, and then, far, far away, there's the rest.

Bribery and coersion.

Some of my first football memories are of the 94/95 season and Euro 96. My favourite player in the world was Alan Shearer, so I asked my dad for the Blackburn Rovers shirt of my hero. He said that I could have a Blackburn kit for Christmas, but only if I paid for it. "But you can have a Tottenham kit for free". To an 8-year-old, that was all that counted.

My mum's family are Woolwich, my dad's family are Chelsea and Fulham, Dad and I are the only Spurs. There is absolutely no chance I would have it any other way.

Éperons said:
Yitt said:
I didn't want a world-beating bandwagoneering…

I wanted a London club…

Ultimately though, I chose Spurs because of its association with the Jews.
I was going to keep quiet on this thread, but the story here is so very similar to mine, that I figured I should tell it. I knew about Spurs somehow during the 90s, since the name was familiar when I finally picked it up (my best guess is that I heard about it during discussions of Klinsmann during the 94 WC). But when it became clear that I was actually into football (late 90s), I knew I wanted to build an allegiance with an English side (I already had a Spanish club (Barça), a French club (Saint-Étienne), and an Italian club (Roma)). The above were my criteria, though the third point is better expressed as "strong multi-ethnic/minority support without a history of fascist appeasing".

Salman Rushdie wrote an article in The New Yorker in 1999 about Spurs, and I was hooked. Hard to pick a worse time to become a fan, but like we always say… we don't choose these things; they choose us. Two (?) seasons later, the Kappa kits came in, and, as Kappa was my top, top brand at the time, I knew I had made the right choice.

From my dad, I inherited being a Flamengo fan and a Brazil fan. Of all the clubs mentioned in this post, there's Spurs, and then, far, far away, there's the rest.
That Eushdie article is brilliant. It's in his collection 'Step Across This Line'.

Born in Stoke Newington, so honestly had a genuine choice to make...
Turn left.... Gooner, turn right... Tottenham!

...but all the cunty-bullies at my Primary school were Gooners, so the choice wasn't difficult.

ArseAnal had prick fans for as long as I can remember... I was NEVER going to be of their number.

Plus my Mum *caught a ball from Danny Blanchflower whilst sitting in the West Stand at a Spurs game as a child...

Choice made: TOTTENHAM FOR LIFE!

* In hindsight, this story she told me as a child MAY have been an exaggeration to cheer me up 'cos we probably lost a game...

She's long gone now, so I can never ask her honestly, but having been to 40+ years of matches, I realise the chances of this actually happening seem slim at best!

Last edited:
I'm a glutton for punishment, but I also have always liked the hope of something better. I had a feature on the International Spurs thing on here right after I joined, but that never really asked WHY. Why I'm Spurs is very complicated and definitely has something to do with my emotional makeup as a human being. Aside from that, once you're hooked you're hooked. No way I'm getting out of this now.

ollieXcore said:
Bribery and coersion.

Some of my first football memories are of the 94/95 season and Euro 96. My favourite player in the world was Alan Shearer, so I asked my dad for the Blackburn Rovers shirt of my hero. He said that I could have a Blackburn kit for Christmas, but only if I paid for it. "But you can have a Tottenham kit for free". To an 8-year-old, that was all that counted.

My mum's family are Woolwich, my dad's family are Chelsea and Fulham, Dad and I are the only Spurs. There is absolutely no chance I would have it any other way.

Lucky escape!

Back
Top Bottom