What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

This guy
:klinsmann:

But it went downhill pretty fast after that.
But I stuck with Spurs.
And boy did they come through for me last Saturday

:vert: :balelol: :dempsey:

i was born into a football loving family (my dad is a sport journalist), my dad is a poor Leeds fan, my big brother is a liverpool fan (i'm looking at the "this is anfield" drawing he has on his wall right now, bleh), and i was never interested in football until we finally we visited the UK, been in Anfield and the stadium was crazy but i always hated liverpool because of my brother's obsession over them. a week after we went to the WHL to watch tottenham Vs liverpool, we actually won this (this was just after Redknapp took over), it was raining like hell and it was cold but i remember some fans going shirtless and screaming their hearts out, it was the best match i've ever seen and i've seen a few european football matches in my life (in the stadiums themselves of course).

that's how i knew i'm going to be a yid, and it actually fits me ethnically. :baletroll:

My first real experience of watching football was the 99 CL final between Man Utd and Bayern München as an 8 year old, and with me being a norwegian, with three norwegians in the man utd team I started following them. Only I didn't really follow football that much for many many years, I prefered playing it.

However when injuries and such stopped me playing and I got more into watching football. I fell out of love with them, and with a mate insisting I watch Tottenham, I had a look. As this was when a kid I admired and thought would make it, it was an easy choice. This resulted in an early love/hate with Tottenham Hotspur!

This was during the Ramos era so although it was nice following a side I could affiliate myself with more than man utd, it was painfull to see us getting smeshed for 8 games straight. I did see things I truly liked during this period though. We had the players to play exciting, fast paced and technical football, we just lacked confidence!

Confidence that our previous manager managed to get back into the players, and since then I have never looked back. Tottenham are the team for me, and will always be the team for me!

My Dad is a Tottenham fan which was a driving force behind my love for Tottenham, although I never remember flirting with the idea of another club. I've seen pictures of me in a Tottenham scarf as a baby (probably around about the time of the '91 semi-final :gazza: ) and always remember watching videos of the history of the club; classic FA cup games, European matches etc. games from many years before I was born involving legends engraved into the foundations of the club as it is today are some of my earliest memories.

I seem to remember my first game at the Lane was vs Coventry probably around 95-96 which we lost (IIRC 1-3? and it was bitterly cold) but I wasn't disheartened as the experience of just being there was amazing. Since that I was hooked, and my mum got pressured into taking me to more and more games and ultimately changing her allegiance from Liverpool to Tottenham ;)

Watching us as I've grown up has been a rollercoaster, and two games that I have watched always stick in the mind. Wimbledon 2-6 Tottenham where I got to see first hand the magic of Jurgen Klinsmann, and the 5-4 game vs the Woolwich which was an amazing game to be at despite the result, and being sat close to the away section was interesting to say the least when I was there for my 14th birthday haha.

I think this is a good thread for me to post my first post here, only discovered this recently and after lurking around for a few days I decided to make an account and start posting.

As someone who isn't an England citizen, even though I always enjoy watching the Premier League I've always been a neutral supporter, never really want to throw my support for a team I never really felt connected to. The reason I'm a Tottenham fan now I think comes from a time when I watched them in the Champion's League, when they crush those Italian teams. I've seen many amazing games like it before, but I feel this is the one that really got to me, and as I learn more about the team the more I like them, so I supported them ever since.

There's no Tottenham and not a great deal of football interest in my family whatsoever. I had free reign to choose whoever I wanted. Spurs just felt right.

Jan Buitenlander said:
I think this is a good thread for me to post my first post here, only discovered this recently and after lurking around for a few days I decided to make an account and start posting.

As someone who isn't an England citizen, even though I always enjoy watching the Premier League I've always been a neutral supporter, never really want to throw my support for a team I never really felt connected to. The reason I'm a Tottenham fan now I think comes from a time when I watched them in the Champion's League, when they crush those Italian teams. I've seen many amazing games like it before, but I feel this is the one that really got to me, and as I learn more about the team the more I like them, so I supported them ever since.

Nice post mate...is your name Dutch for "Johnny Foreigner"?

I became a Spurs fan the moment Jason Dozzell scored the only goal in a 1-0 win over Southampton in my first ever football match. I'm sure I would have become a Spurs fan eventually anyway as my dad is a Spurs fan. As a kid I didn't get to go to many games as I was too young to be earning money and my dad worked a lot just so we could have a slice of bread for dinner. I'll never forget stepping out onto the stand (park lane upper) for my 2nd Spurs game which was 1-0 win over West Ham with Lifted by the lighthouse family playing over the tannoy and if my memory serves me right my breathe being taken away for the first time in my life. That was when I knew that Spurs wasn't a team that I liked, they were a team that I loved.

16 years have passed and now I am watching Spurs more then ever before (not enough for my liking) and my love for the club continues to grow and in all my time going to watch Spurs I've only ever seen 1 defeat and that was last season when I joined about 250 other people for a trip down to the Valley for an U18 FA Cup tie.

Yeah, it's a pun off the language the majority speak in the country Vertonghen comes from. Jan can be considered the Dutch version of John/Johnny, and Buitenlander is indeed Dutch for Foreigner, and JV is indeed not an English native. That actually applies to me as well, as I mentioned I was neither born nor lived at England.

I was given a nylon blue and white spurs flat cap by my cousin Anthony when I was three years old...I wore that hat until it ceased to be a anything more than a piece of deteriorated material....Also, being from north London it was always going to be one or the other, thankfully it wasn't the other.

Fuck, I just realised, it is mine and Tottenham's thirtieth anniversary this year....

Dannyboy said:
I was given a nylon blue and white spurs flat cap by my cousin Anthony when I was three years old...I wore that hat until it ceased to be a anything more than a piece of deteriorated material....Also, being from north London it was always going to be one or the other, thankfully it wasn't the other.

Fuck, I just realised, it is mine and Tottenham's thirtieth anniversary this year....

Please say that your cousin Anthony is the legendary Spurs fan and podcast presenter from Blue.

Born and raised in North London - didn't make a blind bit of difference.
My dad was a Spurs fan and that was it really, drummed into me at birth. If I'd been born and living in Russia my dad would have made sure the same outcome stuck.

I have no memory of 'choosing' Tottenham, I have no memory of not supporting Tottenham. In my mind I've been a Spurs fan since day one.
Bit stitched up in the sense he hasn't regularly gone since the late 80's/early 90's though. Makes sure I'm stuck with Spurs and doesn't bloody come with me haha.

Only time we go together is usually when I buy a ticket for F.A Cup Round 3 as his birthday is the 2nd of January.

My fandom began with the '06 World Cup...first time I actively began watching and following the sport.

At first I was just an overall fan of the EPL, watching what games I could and simply supporting the side who had more players I recognized. Always liked the Spurs...I am not much to pick the best team(s) on the table and hope on their bandwagons like some of more unfortunate friends. I liked the spurs because they were competitive and played with more heart then teams that just bought titles.

Picking up :brad: quickly shot the club up to towards to the top of the list. American bias? Sure, why not. The past couple of years with VDV, :balelol: , and uggly face mcgoo sealed the deal. And of course, :dempsey2: is just the icing on the cake.

Happy to add my Dempsey kit to Spurs scarves and banners.

O, and it helps that they are best fucking team ever.

I was born in Harlow in 66.

My brother, 9 years older, used to go to matches and bring back programs.

The 70s and 80s were great time for Spurs.

Pat J... Glenn.. the argentinian coup.. crooks and archibald... jimmy neighbour.. ahh good times

I had no choice in the matter.

Then had to come up with some good reasons for supporting them, and there were a fair few, so I'm able to live with it.

Objectively though, it was thanks to my dad.

Coz we're blue,we're white,we're fkin dynamite. Mums side all brought up in Durban road,5 mins from ground. Grandad Tottenham born and bread. I was born in Barnet,now live in Watford. So following my roots. My boy was born in Watford,but supports the spurs. Spurs thick n thin. Was at Wembley 87 to see mabbutt put the ball in our own net,and cried like a mudda fker. That's why im spurs. THFC TIL I DIE
R.I.P NAN N GRANDAD. BURIED IN TOTTENHAM

Back
Top Bottom