What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

An interesting map, thought this was the right thread to post.

There was/is a lot of competition for our football love.
Anyone else thought that was a map of Australia for a moment there?
(I KNOW, the fucking river running through the middle of it, and the names of all 31 London clubs surrounding it shoulda been a giveaway!)

It's clearly a Map of Egypt!!

Kiwi mate was a spurs fan. Came to London and we watched them every week. I learned the names, the characters. Started getting into it, found myself cheering them on even when he wasn’t around. We won the league cup the following year* and I have only missed a handful of games since. It’s been a good time, mostly upwards.

*You’re welcome.

marathon sports…? Ilac shopping centre Dublin..1988 …. Hummel spurs shirt. First time I’d seen a replica shirt. I was 8 years old I had £10 left from my birthday…. I think I liked the adidas Liverpool shirt more but my mam said it was too expensive…. So I got the spurs one……….

My dad and Grandad. Both from Tottenham (the latter lived there most of his life). I was around 8 and we were living a bit further up the road in Cheshunt at the time. Quite a few Spurs fans at school so it wasn't difficult to get sucked in, but the big factor was seeing Hoddle and Crooks play live. I don't recall who we were up against but I remember being mesmerised by those two and it sealed the love.

Lived in Palmers Green , used to walk to some matches at 9 years old me and my two mates , Leicester away at same age on grey green coach from Edmonton ....i was hooked started getting involved the hooli side probably at 14 great times .... unfortunately forced in to early retirement at 22 by the courts ......😉

Last edited:
My dad was born in London so he choose spurs. When I was a kid I wanted to support man united. My mate gave me a united rig and I brought it home one day… my dad put it under the grill and burnt it 😂😂 It was always gonna be spurs

My old man, born 1919 in Mile End👍👍Most of my family were Spurs, my mum who was born off Old Street was and most of my extended family although my dads brother and a couple of others were West Ham and ended up living round there and even having their business in Green Street🤦‍♂️🤣🤣

My uncle, who unfortunately died in a car crash in Egypt in the mid 90's, was a huge Spurs fan. Brought me up on videos of Hoddle which influenced me when I was a boy playing county and academy level.

My family are rugby fans, as we hail from the Devon and Cornwall regions, but now they are all Spurs
:mickyarm:

fussballsignatur-ramon-vega-schweiz-der-heute-fur-tottenham-hotspur-unterschrieben-hat-g7fdj7.jpg
:sneaky::)

I didn't like football till the premier league invented it.
Decided to support Spurs as it would be easy to support a team that wins trophies every year and is loved the length and breadth of the country. Plus we have a chairman that is worshipped by the entire fan base. No brainer...

I was born and lived in Enfield,a very strong Tottenham area,even more so in the late 60s -mid 70s. My Dad was Spurs,from just off the seven sisters road. His dad was Spurs. My older brother was Spurs. I had no say in in the matter,not that I would change a thing.
After we moved from Enfield to Hoddesdon,I found myself in an equally big as, Spurs area.
It was written in the stars.

Last edited:
Followed Ange here, although I’d been casually interested in the PL since Australia’s golden generation (Kewell, Cahill, Schwarzer et al) were plying their trade in it. Reckon I’ll keep following Spurs when Ange leaves

The 1981 FA Cup. Ricky Villa's goal. And an expat English, English teacher.

Living in Melbourne Australia -you've all heard Ange's stories about how little football we had on the TV, its all true, there wasn't much, if we're lucky it was 15 minutes of a game 2 weeks old.

Except the FA Cup final. Pretty sure I saw th 100th one live at some ungodly hour of the morning with my dad.

So next Monday, I'm vandalizing the inside cover of an English text book with word Totty Hotspur in a cross where the t's intersect in a fancy eighties digital font, FA Cup 1981 under it, and in my own world admiring my artwork when I hear the voice of Miss Evans- 62 year old Miss Evans- sneak up behind my right ear-in her pommy nasally accent:

"You follow Spurs?"

"Yes, miss"

"Why"

"They won the Cup, Miss. They have Ossie Ardilles and Glenn Hoddle, and Ricki Villa"

"Well, Aston Villa is my club".

"Are they any good?"

"Its not just about winning, its more than that"

""Have they won any Cups Miss? I'll stay with Tottenham, I think they'll win lots of Cups, Miss".

A few weeks later she gave me a magazine that covered the FA Cup 1981- Shoot- I think.

Miss Evans moved on the next year, but I still kept tabs on Spurs, for a few years and then moved on a life moved on, but as fate would have it, Ange's appointment brought me back. To see Spurs win lots of Cups, Miss.

marathon sports…? Ilac shopping centre Dublin..1988 …. Hummel spurs shirt. First time I’d seen a replica shirt. I was 8 years old I had £10 left from my birthday…. I think I liked the adidas Liverpool shirt more but my mam said it was too expensive…. So I got the spurs one……….
You should get some sort of trophy for finding a football shirt on the north side in the 80s, that wasn't Liverpool.
Clapping Applause GIF

I started supporting them around that era too. My brother had a replica top from 86/87, he got bored of football soon after and I inherited the top (still have it). They were always my team but I only became truly full time football crazy watching the 94 world cup.

it’s funny how spurs has impacted my life as I now live in Hackney and walk to every home game 😂
Grew up in NW London, my grandad was Irish and moved from Galway to Cricklewood in the 50s and became a United fan but luckily never took my old man to a game. My dad started going with his mates to spurs home & away in the 70s & also boxed at the gym opposite WHL in the 80s. Had a bit of a hard time growing up with spurs as I was born in 95 and all my mates at school were Goons but i wouldn’t have it any other way.

Also lived near our old training ground in Mill Hill in the early 2000s and my old man got given some training shirts which I still wear today!

Back
Top Bottom