What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

muito bom! Sportinguista here. I moved to Enfield with the family when I was young, and this lot were the closest big club to go visit. Started falling in love during the late Redknapp years and naturally by when Villas-Boas came I was obviously fully on board.

I live in Canada now and have been on this forum to connect with the club and fans ever since. But I still try and go back at least once a year to see a game.
Condolences for being snowed in for the next 3-4 months

Born in Spammer land, Bow.
One kid in our flats, year older than me , was spurs. Followed him. Early 70's.
Everyone at school was a Spammer. I mean everyone.
Spammers won the FA cup in 75 and their parade went past my fucking bedroom window.
We got relegated as they got promoted. God was testing me. Well I passed and remained faithful and Ange's here to repay my faith.
Have loved reading this thread. Funny, poignant and full of love for the mighty Spurs.

I was 11 years old, living in Upper Holloway about a mile from Highbury. I had no team, but loved playing football. A boy (15) who I kicked a ball around with on the streets, was mad Spurs. Kept telling me about the games he went to. He gave me a programme from the 1967 FA Cup semi-final, when Spurs beat Nottingham Forest 2-1 at Hillsborough (he went to the match on his own). He then managed to get 2 winning lottery vouchers for the chance to buy tickets for the final, and asked me if I'd like to go. He had to come to my house to meet my parents before they agreed to let me go. The rest is history.

I wasn’t that into football as a child, as my family weren’t either but I got obsessed around Italia 90 and remember thinking I needed to commit to a team. My shortlist was Southampton (my nearest big club but I understood even then that they were crap), Chelsea ( yes I know, but they weren’t as bad then) and for some reason, Crystal Palace. And Spurs of course.

I had already flirted with Spurs, a combination of being blown away by the cup final in 81, Chas and Dave, plus a dad who sort of liked Woolwich. And then there were all the great players we always seemed to attract and the style of play…

So, I picked the club that was ridiculously hard to get to from the south coast. But imagine how much duller my life could have been with those other teams (or in one case how much more full of entitled bigoted morons). Zero regrets.

I was 11 years old, living in Upper Holloway about a mile from Highbury. I had no team, but loved playing football. A boy (15) who I kicked a ball around with on the streets, was mad Spurs. Kept telling me about the games he went to. He gave me a programme from the 1967 FA Cup semi-final, when Spurs beat Nottingham Forest 2-1 at Hillsborough (he went to the match on his own). He then managed to get 2 winning lottery vouchers for the chance to buy tickets for the final, and asked me if I'd like to go. He had to come to my house to meet my parents before they agreed to let me go. The rest is history.
Very similar to my own history. I was born in Upper Holloway and lived in Finsbury Park. Everything should have pointed me to being a goon but my neighbour and his son were Spurs and gave me a scarf and a picture of Jimmy Greaves and that was it.

1967, aged 7, moved to and grew up in Finchley. School was pretty much 50/50 between us and Woolwich but fortunately the kids in my street were Spurs so it was easy to stay loyal. A couple of them and their dad convinced my mum it would be fine to take me to a game so went to my first one 1969, home to Stoke.

Pleased to say my legacy has been the kids, grandkids, nephews and nieces are all Spurs. Prepared them well for all of life’s hard knocks.

No family connections to any footie, my Dad had been an amateur rugby player, didn't care for footie, said if he supported anyone it would have been the Goons (big in the 1930's when he was in his teens) or Pompey (he was army but had several mates in the Navy).

1967 Cup Final everyone in my Bromey school was supporting Chavs. I was asked whether I was too.
No.
Well who you supporting?
Well who are they playing?
Spurs.
Them.

Always had a vague interest in PL when it was shown for free in Australia late at night but other than winning $5 for a stupid bet against my scouse PE teacher cause I bet on Wimbledon to beat Liverpool in the FA cup final (1987?) simply cause I loved tennis, I had no idea about many teams.

Fast forward to 2005 and I had foxtel which then had PL and just fell in love with the game. Needed a team though. My maternal Grandfather was from Salford but other than my love for Joy Div/N.O, I thought the arrogance of United would shit me to tears. Saw a few spurs games on telly and not sure why, but just something about them I liked. This turned into an unhealthy obsession. Lucky to never see Spurs lose live at the old WHL - only 2 games, both down 1-nil halftime with 2-1 wins.

Now watch most games live, including getting up this morning at 3.20am to watch the Man U game. Great, except I worked out at 3.35am the game is tomorrow!

Had a lot of immigrant friends in primary school and absolutely had to have a team for FA Cup finals early 80’s. As a 10 year old, I thought THFC was somehow tied into the comic character Hotspur, so there’s no way you back any other horse.
Got a soft spot for Leeds cause of Kewel and Viduka, but Big Ange is probably the most representative of the best parts of Aussie sport… proudly immigrant, hard, fair, compassionate (without being weak), underdog, wins through the team, understands the supporters. Preferring COYS to Australian cricket nowadays

My family lived locally to the club, although we moved to Essex when I was five. It was mostly Tottenham and West Ham round there.

I remember a kid told me "you should support Liverpool, everyone round here supports Spurs". I think that alone would have been enough to decide it for me, as I didn't want to do what I was told by an older kid, lol.

But then I realised Spurs was my local team until we'd moved a couple of years before. And I also knew another kid who I couldn't stand, and he was an Woolwich fan.

I think I hated Woolwich because of that kid before I'd even really understood how big the rivalry was between the clubs. Comes naturally!

In 20+ years someone is going to be writing in this thread.

In the Spurs shop with my mum but couldn't afford anything.
Then some ugly fucker turns up and bought me a Spurs top. And this confimed a lifelong love affair with Spurs.
N17-Tommo N17-Tommo

My Dad was a Gooner, I was taken to Highbury loads of times from 1970 ish until at the age of six when I said I support Tottenham and at the time I didn't even know they were rivals.
Suffice to say my Dad and me had "colourful" conversations over the years but he accepted the team I chose and even said a few times " You shouldn't support a team because your told/made to, You should think for yourself."
Miss the old git and the "conversations"

Last edited:
Insanity. I grew up in and near Birmingham in the 60s and 70s, and should by rights support Villa, who are my second fave team, for reasons indicated below.

My dad, a staunch Irish Republican, followed Shamrock Rovers and Celtic. His numerous brothers (one of whom had played for Shamrock briefly) all lived in Southend on Sea, and were Spurs, Spammers, or Goons, but mostly Spurs. That, and the fact that I liked the strip, and the presence in the team of Greaves, Mullery, and so on, probably made my mind up for me, aged about nine or so. My big bro chose Man U, and my little bro (now dead, alas) chose Villa. My youngest bro is not a footy guy. My late brother's eldest son is a professional football journalist in Toronto, and loves Villa.

At some point (I think around the time of Fever Pitch) my big bro became a vague sort of Goon, and his son is a staunch Goon. We banter. My ex wife works in telly and is a Groucho Club Chav - appalling!

Last edited:
I lived in Islington for most of the nineties and noughties. When I split from my wife in 2009, she faintly encouraged our daughter, then aged five, to support Woolwich, really as a sort of joke, and not with malice; but eventually our daughter drifted towards Spurs, although she is not much of a football fan really.

Last edited:
Maybe i am the stupidest member in this forum, because i become a tottenham hotspur fan because my club lose two times against the spurs.

Homer Simpson Thinking GIF

Some members in this forum did the rest to be a great fan of this legendary club!

Tottenham Hotspurs Sport GIF by Sealed With A GIF

I was born in The Salvation Army Mothers Hospital, Clapton.
All my family lived in Leyton at the time, Dad and Grandad were avid Orient supporters.
At the age of 6, I went down the Spurs route, so you could accuse me of being a glory hunter.
I think the main reason was that in the early 60's my Grandad had a get well card from a friend of his, who happened to be a Tottenham Scout. The card was signed by all of the 1st team squad.

Lived in Harlow (Essex) in the 70s. 73/74 season my mate Kim Reynolds said he was going to the lane and did I want to come too. Weds evening match against Ipswich. Drew 1-1 and John Pratt scored ours from a penalty. Was hooked from then on.
Went to all the UEFA cup home games after that but missed the final.
And to be honest, this season is the most excited Ive been about us in 50 yrs

Dad was born in Forest Gate, but all the family were Spurs.
Have lived in Tottenham virtually all my life.
Daughter has an ST too.
Her infants and primary school was at the junction of Park Lane & Worcester Av. (in the same class as Obika)
At the age of 5 my wife was taking her back home after school one day, when they noticed there was an autograph session in the Spurs shop.
Mabbsey and scumball were in there.
They queued up for a while and when they got to the front my daughter went all shy.
Gary signed her school book and asked her if she wanted to say anything.
She lent forward and whispered in his ear;
"Ar5enal crapshit" :coys:

Being born and raised in Somerset there was only one team to support and it was spurs

I recall my dad not being back in time for work from the 81 cup final replay and mum going mad, he made it home, still pissed and happy. Even the cat got a hug and he hated that cat.
I thought I can’t wait to go. First match was the charity shield against villa, fans climbing up Wembley to get in, fans offering me booze, kids down the front, hooked for life, my club.
Now my lad goes regularly, it’s great to hear the venom he spouts as another season fades away to nothing….and my old man telling him there’s plenty more of that to come!!
But like me he’s hooked for life and through thick and thin

Back
Top Bottom