What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I was 10 years old, didn't know anything about football, but the FA cup semi-final was on the TV and me and my brother decided to pick a team each. I chose Spurs because the build-up show told me they were the unlikely underdog, with the potential for flashes of brilliance, who needed the win to stave off financial ruin. How could I not fall in love after that game? (Luckily for me, by the way, my brother ditched Woolwich and got a life sentence at Blackburn).

I started after the signings of Ricky Villa and Ossie Ardiles so I had a good few years before it all turned to shit.

My family moved to London when I was young, and surprisingly none of my new mates seemed to want to discuss baseball with a yank...and my best friends were Spurs supporters...plus I hate the gooners...perfect storm for a lifeling Spurs fan! The best part has been, in recent years, the coverage of global football (and especially the EPL) has grown signifcantly in the US, which makes it possible to see every match (which isn't quite the same as being at the Lane, but its a long way from Florida)...COYS!

JMo said:
My family moved to London when I was young, and surprisingly none of my new mates seemed to want to discuss baseball with a yank...and my best friends were Spurs supporters...plus I hate the gooners...perfect storm for a lifeling Spurs fan! The best part has been, in recent years, the coverage of global football (and especially the EPL) has grown signifcantly in the US, which makes it possible to see every match (which isn't quite the same as being at the Lane, but its a long way from Florida)...COYS!

Pffft part-timer....

:baletroll:

I'm from America and what not and Ledley King basically is the reason I started supporting Spurs. Loved watching him and the way he carried himself on the field. I got one of the long sleeve Mansion jerseys (before I knew about #NeverRed) with Ledley's name on the back in 2004 or 2005 when I was about 14 and have never looked back. It has been quite the ride.

COME YOU FUCKING SPURS! :king:

I've been a Portista (Porto fan) since I was about 5 years old. When one of my favourite coaches, AVB, joined Tottenham, I started to support Tottenham. Went a bit cold after he left/ was sacked but I've been back since my current favourite coach, Ange Postecoglou, joined the club. I'm Australian born to Portuguese parents. Hence the connection to AVB and AP.

Family.

A few are Palace, but most are Spurs. Apart from one fucking weirdo who supports Forest (I think that was due to Shilton).

My three lads are all Tottenham. Never told them who to support, although Chavs and Scum were categorically off limits.

Spent the first 3-4 years of my life in Tottenham before moving to Barking. My mum was from Liverpool with some LFC and 1 Everton fan in my family, Dad was apathetic West Ham fan.

So could have been West Ham, Liverpool, Everton (probably not Everton) or Spurs. Think it was me being there in Tottenham, the name which I thought was really cool plus Gazza in that white shirt.

I've been a Portista (Porto fan) since I was about 5 years old. When one of my favourite coaches, AVB, joined Tottenham, I started to support Tottenham. Went a bit cold after he left/ was sacked but I've been back since my current favourite coach, Ange Postecoglou, joined the club. I'm Australian born to Portuguese parents. Hence the connection to AVB and AP.
muito bom! Sportinguista here. I moved to Enfield with the family when I was young, and this lot were the closest big club to go visit. Started falling in love during the late Redknapp years and naturally by when Villas-Boas came I was obviously fully on board.

I live in Canada now and have been on this forum to connect with the club and fans ever since. But I still try and go back at least once a year to see a game.

My Dad.

He's been a fan since the late 50's and I had no choice whatsoever about what team I was going to support. Same way my two year old will have no choice either.

So many happy memories of my Dad taking me to games in the early 80's.

Grew up in NW London, my grandad was Irish and moved from Galway to Cricklewood in the 50s and became a United fan but luckily never took my old man to a game. My dad started going with his mates to spurs home & away in the 70s & also boxed at the gym opposite WHL in the 80s. Had a bit of a hard time growing up with spurs as I was born in 95 and all my mates at school were Goons but i wouldn’t have it any other way.

Also lived near our old training ground in Mill Hill in the early 2000s and my old man got given some training shirts which I still wear today!

This will undoubtedly be the dumbest story in this thread. I'm American, and when I retired in 2018 it was a World Cup year. I was around the house with free time, watched football for the first time and loved it. I thought I should find a Premier League team to support. I ended up seeing an online article that talked about what team new American fans should support. So far, so good. But it was about the fan bases and not the teams on the pitch. It said Fulham fans were friendly (which is a horrible reason to support a team but I didn't know who the teams were at this point). That was the year I learned what relegation was. Watching games I noticed Brighton had a new looking stadium and for some reason thought they must be on the way up (I know). Wouldn't you know it, they almost got relegated. At that point I knew I couldn't keep switching teams every year. I liked Harry Kane, who I remembered from the World Cup, and l liked Ponch, and by now I knew enough to know Tottenham wasn't going to be relegated. I also had figured out I didn't like Woolrich one bit and the same went for Man City. This time it stuck. 100% Spurs fan and don't miss any of the games on TV. Really enjoy this forum and the people here.

My Dad is my reason.

When he and my Mum moved to London from Northern Ireland in 1972, he was originally a Liverpool fan, but within a couple of years my uncle started bringing him to White Hart Lane for pretty much every home match, also to away matches when it was possible and he's been a huge fan ever since.

Between then until 1995 when my family moved back to N. Ireland he was at the Lane for everything from our relegation in 1977 to our promotion the next year to the 1984 UEFA Cup Final win against Anderlecht although he always says his favorite Spurs match he attended live was the FA Cup Semi-final win over Woolwich in 1991 (even though he always describes the old Wembley as a "shithole")...

That passion for Spurs pretty much passed on to me not long after I was born in 1987, I consider myself to have lived through a trial by fire for a Spurs supporter as I went through school in Northern Ireland in the late 90s-early 2000s, where pretty much everyone else was a glory hunting Man Utd, Liverpool or Woolwich fan with the odd Chav here and there.

Back
Top Bottom