What made you support Spurs?

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

The old man was a closet dipper but with a soft spot for Spurs. Uncles and older cousins were proper United and mocked Spurs...or anyone that wasn't Manc to be fair. Schoolmates were pretty much all Woolwich, with a few Spam and Chavs for good measure.

I wasn't destined to become Tottenham, but I fell in love with our stadium, our colours, our history, our panache, great players like Hoddle, Steve P, the Argies, then Lineker, Gazza, Klinsmann, Ginola...

Can't wait for us to win big shiny medals again. We friggin deserve it. But it's comiiiiiiiiiing!

Nearest team, all my primary school friends...just about everyone I knew was a Spurs fan...plus it was the 60s. No other team came near....

Family has always been Spurs. Had no choice in the matter.

I remember I was at an airport as a kid with my family in the 90s with a Spurs shirt on and someone came up to me and said “that’s child abuse that is”, pointing at the badge.

He wasn’t wrong to be fair 😂

Growing up in Greece in the late 70s and early 80s we got some English football on TV and select matches from the European cups. Interestingly, even though the coverage was dominated by Liverpool and Forest at that time, I never chose a side to support. I had watched the 81 and 82 cup finals, but what clinched it for me was the 84 Uefa Cup run. Been hooked ever since. When I finally managed to go to a live game in 2013 at WHL, it was one of the most emotional moments of my life.

Family has always been Spurs. Had no choice in the matter.

I remember I was at an airport as a kid with my family in the 90s with a Spurs shirt on and someone came up to me and said “that’s child abuse that is”, pointing at the badge.

He wasn’t wrong to be fair 😂
Said the same thing to a colleague of mine who bought a Saka jersey for her son.

My aunt's man knew I liked football and told me the only football game he had seen was Tottenham Hotspur at White Hart Lane in the 60s. I was a 12-13 year old little Swedish boy and thought the names were fantastic.

Managed to download some ancient peer to peer streaming service I can't remember the name of and fell in love. Especially remember taking a liking to King, Keane, Defoe and Lennon.

a christmas story GIF

My first game at the Lane was game against City at and Lineker scored a couple and Gazza and Nayim were incredible that day. Gazza scored that day too. Always remember the atmosphere being electric and it was a really warm day.

Like many Americans, I decided to pick an EPL team to follow after the 2014 World Cup. Spurs at the time were in a sweet spot of being good enough to be fun (and no threat of relegation), but not a plastic bandwagon pick.

Reading more about the Glory, Glory era, their personalities, and the progressive and romantic ethos of the club sealed it for me from there. Three months later I met my future wife, who was also a Spurs fan. That made it easier to stick with.

Early 80s what was the alternative any team who played in red kits , fuck that …..
3-D525-BB1-1-E98-413-E-B5-C3-5-BFF9-C07399-D.jpg

this and along with the 60/61 kit will and always will be Tottenham Hotspur my team.

I was sold a dream by Dad, my Uncles and big cousins that Spurs were a stylish team that played a great brand of football and won trophies regularly enough, and that the club felt inclusive and weren’t shy about giving big responsibility to ethnic minorities.

I have never forgiven them. 🥲

But they started out as the same sport, it was a parting of the ways.
So we are excused...
But you didn't declare "that henceforth rugby shall not be called football", which led to the creation of soccer.

Meanwhile, in America, we were told that rugby was football. We then adapted it into gridiron because...I literally have no idea, apparently they thought the scrum was the best part and decided they needed more.

Anyway, not really our fault. Like imperial units, you guys stuck us with some garbage.

As with most, brainwashed by my father! 😂

He was born in Ponders End, Enfield, but moved to Somerset quite young.

He’d regularly travel back to North London to stay with his Auntie & Uncle who were big Spurs fans.

Back
Top Bottom