West Ham v Tottenham Hotspur | Premier League | Tues 2nd April | 8:15pm

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Absolutely

How many solo runs do you see where a player (like Greavsie used to) takes on and beats several opposing players and scores?

Very rarely because they will be chopped down in a tactical foul and then you get some twat of a commentator praising the culprit saying some crap like ‘he took one for the team’

Pep’s teams have always been masters of this but it’s the norm now sadly
You look at Grealish now. He’s a robot but he used to be this free spirit who’d thrive at running at players and was a joy to watch. I know he’s in a different position and playing against teams with everyone behind the ball but the joy has been coached out of him. He’s not better on the eye than Werner and that’s sad to say because he’s on another level talent wise. The modern day game is stifling players with real ability.

So I do agree with you about the wingers but can we stretch our budget to bring in a top striker, someone that can anticipate their crosses and know where to be? Johnson put a couple of good crosses in vs West Ham but we had nobody there to knock them in. Son doesn't have the CF instinct to do that.

I don't hold much hope for Veliz getting much game time next season, and I don't want our players to be injured but if Richarlison gets injured then it might be an opportunity for him, if we don't buy a new CF in the summer.

Well let's wait and see shall we.

No, I'm not a "throw money at it" type of person.
We need decent scouting. Some of the best midfielders we've had in the 21st century haven't been big money signings. Carrick, Davids. Demebele. Wanyama. Modric. Players who were consistent, intelligent and actually made things happen.
When did we sell Dembele, 2019? 5.5 years without a decent CM.

Yeah around then I believe.

Romero is the prime culprit for this slow shit. He literally slows to a standstill with the ball at his feet and starts pointing while the opponent get plenty of bodies behind the ball. Then he passes sideways.

When we are chasing a game he shows he can play boldly and get the ball forward, but he is so sluggish early on in games. Far too little urgency from him compared to someone like Vertonghen who always played out crisply.

I think it's fair to allow a CB a chance to settle into that side of their game a little bit more (their focus should be no early fuck-ups leading to goals)..... The MFs and attackers are the one's who ought to be 'snappy' from the whistle.

My observation would more be that Romero get's braver as the game goes on.

You look at Grealish now. He’s a robot but he used to be this free spirit who’d thrive at running at players and was a joy to watch. I know he’s in a different position and playing against teams with everyone behind the ball but the joy has been coached out of him. He’s not better on the eye than Werner and that’s sad to say because he’s on another level talent wise. The modern day game is stifling players with real ability.
I think you can pinpoint the exact moment this started happening in the English game as Mourinho getting his hands on Joe Cole.

Certainly the earliest example I can think of of a manager absolutely hammering the creativity out of a player and turning him into a stats machine.

I think everyone to a man here who has been around long enough has fond memories of David Ginola, how many goals did he get? 13 in 100 league appearances, he'd be hammered by fans today...

I thought when it was played he was in our half mate. It must have been my rage at not getting the foul. Don’t insult my intelligence anyway!🤣
Might well have been, he's West Ham after all.

Nah I do seem to recall him starting from behind the halfway line. But yeah, wouldn't he the first time refs screw us this season.

I think you can pinpoint the exact moment this started happening in the English game as Mourinho getting his hands on Joe Cole.

Certainly the earliest example I can think of of a manager absolutely hammering the creativity out of a player and turning him into a stats machine.

I think everyone to a man here who has been around long enough has fond memories of David Ginola, how many goals did he get? 13 in 100 league appearances, he'd be hammered by fans today...
He was a joy to watch. When he was in full flow he was immense. Nothing stat based about him,just flair and that’s the type of player we were all happy to pay to watch. Joe Cole was brilliant player too.

But this is the thing...

We try to draw these sides out by playing it around at the back. This would give us the space to then quickly play through the opposition. This gets called boring.

If the team won't come out, then we have to engage them higher up the field. Fans then complain that the pitch is compress
But this is the thing...

We try to draw these sides out by playing it around at the back. This would give us the space to then quickly play through the opposition. This gets called boring.

If the team won't come out, then we have to engage them higher up the field. Fans then complain that the pitch is compressed.

NAIL
ON
HEAD

This is not even about the result tbh. I actually expected to get beaten by a wounded West Ham last night.
Even when we win it's boring.

It was boring Vs Luton. Boring for 75 minutes vs Palace. Boring for 45 minutes against Villa even.

If this is the default style and we carry on with it, even good teams will see it as easy enough to beat us by just packing out the penalty area and then expose our weak defense, Why wouldn't they? We spend a week planning to go at us full throttle when they could just as easily open us up like a tin of beans from our own attacks.
You are boring mate.

Were you a season ticket holder then?

I remember plenty of frustrated fans around me. People often leaving at 85 mins calling us shit.

Happy days! Some things just don’t change.

Sadly not as I had too many other commitments around then but I went as regularly as I could and enjoyed the entertainment

I m still Spurs of course but can’t say the fayre served up last night and the last few years has been entertaining

Sadly not as I had too many other commitments around then but I went as regularly as I could and enjoyed the entertainment

I m still Spurs of course but can’t say the fayre served up last night and the last few years has been entertaining

Probably more to do with the opponent more than anything. Not much we can do if 10 men are standing in the way.

Under Redknapp, we were just plucky little Spurs that played exciting football in an era where teams didn't press. Plenty of space, era where freedom and flair was allowed, less discipline across the pitch etc.

Nowadays we are almost like a scalp for these little clubs. For some reason they seem to just raise their game for us. Yet they'll go and lose their next game to a relegation battling team. West Ham, Fulham, the lot of them.

13 in 100 league games.
A goal every 7.7 games. in a shit team managed by Gerry Francis, Christian Gross and George Graham.
One season he got 9 and was our joint top scorer. With Klinsman. Who only played half a season and got 4 in one game. That's how shit we were.

Meanwhile, Deki has 13 league goals in 76 games for a goal every 5.8 games in a better team, playing higher in the league, under a better manager (2 better managers if you include Conte too)

And he's nowhere near as entertaining to watch.

13 in 100 league games.
A goal every 7.7 games. in a shit team managed by Gerry Francis, Christian Gross and George Graham.
One season he got 9 and was our joint top scorer. With Klinsman. Who only played half a season and got 4 in one game. That's how shit we were.

Meanwhile, Deki has 13 league goals in 76 games for a goal every 5.8 games in a better team, playing higher in the league, under a better manager (2 better managers if you include Conte too)

And he's nowhere near as entertaining to watch.
Well that's the key part about it.

Who know's, plonk prime Ginola into this better side and maybe he struggles against low blocks? Maybe the manager won't play him because he doesn't track back enough?

But nobody who ever saw us play whilst he was here would ever say a bad word about him. Today though, on stats alone, half the twittersphere would be calling him crap because they'd made their minds up based on a bunch of stats, bar charts, and pictograms, before they'd even seen him kick a ball.

And then if they ever did get around to actually watching him, they still wouldn't change their mind because that's just not how the world works is it?

Well that's the key part about it.

Who know's, plonk prime Ginola into this better side and maybe he struggles against low blocks? Maybe the manager won't play him because he doesn't track back enough?

But nobody who ever saw us play whilst he was here would ever say a bad word about him. Today though, on stats alone, half the twittersphere would be calling him crap because they'd made their minds up based on a bunch of stats, bar charts, and pictograms, before they'd even seen him kick a ball.

And then if they ever did get around to actually watching him, they still wouldn't change their mind because that's just not how the world works is it?
TBH, I was a big fan of Kulu for a while.
But he's really gone backwards in a way.
His goals per game stats are up this season, but he's become awful to watch at times.

Ginola was criticised for his fitness levels by Graham and pushed out for that. Also his lack of tactical discipline.
Maybe that was around about the time that flair and expression started to be hammered out of the sport.
Then again, imagine telling Messi he needs to track back more, cover more miles, only pass into certain area's etc.
Doesn't bare thinking about really.

Must be that eh...
Approve Pedro Pascal GIF by Nordisk Film Finland

Back
Top Bottom