We’re part of the problem

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

Ditch the booing then.... Why is is this so tough to comprehend?
It's not, I didn't Boo.
Why is Boogate going on for 2 day?
People need to move on, shit happens get over it.
Perhaps Sanchez could say something like " I had a mare but I will do my best to not let it happen again " then we all move on together

FANS : Why don't we spend more money on players?

LEVY : We have to play within the rules and can only increase spend with an uplift in commercial revenue. How about I make some shrewd property investments on behalf of the club and generate income from our lovely stadium when its not being used for football.

FANS : BOOOO!!! We don't want a cheese room and go kart track you bald ponce!
Hi Daniel.

It's not, I didn't Boo.
Perhaps Sanchez could say something like " I had a mare but I will do my best to not let it happen again " then we all move on together
Sanchez got booed the moment he came on, and got booed every time he touched the ball. You're expecting Sanchez to be the one apologising? Just no.

Our fanbase create a toxic level environment. It is not a fit environment for our players and the management. I blame some of our fans more than the players and the management. Look what top level support does for the mental health of the teM. We are tasked with the job as real fans to pick these players up and to give them motivation by providing unconditional support and love for them as part of our club. It is not just the managers job to.motivate the players we have responsibility as Well.

Some of our fans are sellouts. They turn on them when the players need us the most. I do not look at these players as doing their job, I look at them as providing us with a surreal environment to increase our serotonin levels and dopamine levels to an above average rise. Yes it can work the other way but we are getting our football fix from them. It is a healthy drug. These players are not some sort of slaves.

I see some fans say they get handsomely paid and we pay their wages for stadium fees. Well newsflash, that is the complete wrong way to look at it. We need the club more. Do you not have that feeling when waiting for the next match, that empty feeling which the club and players are fulfilling. The club owes us nothing and we are indebted to them. So let's quit moaning about our form and support the players like we have never in our life. Booing to be banned within the stadium regardless of how we play and just cheering and chanting. The performances will pick up if we show the loyalty that these players deserve and are entitled to.

It's not, I didn't Boo.

I apologise if I sounded excessively accusatory.

I'm talking in general..... Reply is not aimed solely at you.... I'm just aghast at why this is such an alien thought process to people.... Especially when - as you just did - they recognise that actual directed chanting can and indeed did take place.

I dunno dude.... Why did you post about it over breakfast this morning? : P

Hell no.

The last thing Dav should do is apologise. He was booed before he'd done anything wrong; was subsequently singled-out for repeat booing amongst several players that contributed to the oppo goals (Porro notably having a mare on #1 & #3) and has since been racially abused on SM to the point of shutting one of his accounts down.

You don't seem to have a grasp of what actually happened here.

Last edited:
I think that the booing may have been about the actual substitution. I wouldn’t boo one of our players. Ever.
Having missed the game “live” I watched it posthumously (more fool me) & I also groaned when I saw his number held up. It was a backward substitution to make and to field a player low on confidence out of position was baffling.
Not his fault. That’s on the manager(s) not properly managing the game.

Our fanbase create a toxic level environment. It is not a fit environment for our players and the management. I blame some of our fans more than the players and the management. Look what top level support does for the mental health of the teM. We are tasked with the job as real fans to pick these players up and to give them motivation by providing unconditional support and love for them as part of our club. It is not just the managers job to.motivate the players we have responsibility as Well.

Some of our fans are sellouts. They turn on them when the players need us the most. I do not look at these players as doing their job, I look at them as providing us with a surreal environment to increase our serotonin levels and dopamine levels to an above average rise. Yes it can work the other way but we are getting our football fix from them. It is a healthy drug. These players are not some sort of slaves.

I see some fans say they get handsomely paid and we pay their wages for stadium fees. Well newsflash, that is the complete wrong way to look at it. We need the club more. Do you not have that feeling when waiting for the next match, that empty feeling which the club and players are fulfilling. The club owes us nothing and we are indebted to them. So let's quit moaning about our form and support the players like we have never in our life. Booing to be banned within the stadium regardless of how we play and just cheering and chanting. The performances will pick up if we show the loyalty that these players deserve and are entitled to.
Have you ever thought about what supporting spurs does to our mental health?

I think that the booing may have been about the actual substitution. I wouldn’t boo one of our players. Ever.
Having missed the game “live” I watched it posthumously (more fool me) & I also groaned when I saw his number held up. It was a backward substitution to make and to field a player low on confidence out of position was baffling.
Not his fault. That’s on the manager(s) not properly managing the game.
That’s what I thought but I’d don’t go and if his very touch was also boo’d, that ain’t cool

FANS : Why don't we spend more money on players?

LEVY : We have to play within the rules and can only increase spend with an uplift in commercial revenue. How about I make some shrewd property investments on behalf of the club and generate income from our lovely stadium when its not being used for football.

FANS : BOOOO!!! We don't want a cheese room and go kart track you bald ponce!
Except of course that the "shrewd property investments" don't create more revenue for Tottenham Hotspur to invest on the pitch. They are held on the clubs balance sheet making more money for Levy and Enic when they sell the club rather than being invested. It is taking money out of the club through the back door

Except of course that the "shrewd property investments" don't create more revenue for Tottenham Hotspur to invest on the pitch. They are held on the clubs balance sheet making more money for Levy and Enic when they sell the club rather than being invested. It is taking money out of the club through the back door
And to the extent they do create present-tense revenue, that revenue is expended on the playing squad at the single lowest level of any club in Europe.

Except of course that the "shrewd property investments" don't create more revenue for Tottenham Hotspur to invest on the pitch.

Our spending has increased in recent years (since the stadium opened)....... Now either that's club revenue or ENIC cash.

They are held on the clubs balance sheet making more money for Levy and Enic when they sell the club rather than being invested. It is taking money out of the club through the back door

It's hardly "out the back door" nor shady....

Yes, whatever investments that create additional revenue will increase the sale price as THFC as a company will naturally be worth more money the more revenue it can generate. It also means that said revenue is increased along the way to allow further spending.

If the club invest a few million in (eg) a cinema; so long as it turns a profit then there's nothing to get angry about. (Ditto all the crap spewed about NFL, Beyonce & Go-Carts.)

Club and ownership both benefit.

There's nothing shady about that process. ENIC's cards have been on the table from day one..... They are an investment company.

In an ideal world would Lewis have a bit of a sugar daddy streak that meant he'd frontload our spending with a billion quid off the back end, sure........ But that's not the notion of "sustainability" that they or most owners to whatever extent subscribe to.

FSG bought Liverpool FC for £300 million (the equivalent of $478 million at the time). The club was most recently valued by Forbes at $4.45 billion, the fourth-most valuable club in soccer. They will do well to find a buyer with such money that doesn't also come with baggage that goes against club values.

Yet this is the club that has openly declared that they can't afford Bellingham... Same principal.

Last edited:
If that was the case it ought to have stopped once the sub had been made.... It didn't.
I agree it should have stopped when he came onto the pitch but perhaps it was the crowd’s way of constantly reminding the manager that it was a poor choice of sub to make?
It’s a bad look for any club’s fans to be openly booing individual players. I just think here that it was the seething masses showing their disapproval of what was happening in front of them. A game that was in the bag, giving way to the players going into their shells, giving way to a defensive/negative substitution when we should have been turning the screw on a relegation struggler.
Maybe I’m being too kind and he was targeted because of who he is- a player not good enough for spurs. I’d prefer to believe that it was a build up of frustration that had grown during the game culminating in anger at a very poor decision from the bench that the fans were not going to let the manager forget

Anyone else that was actually in the Stadium like me.. Did you think the booing was that loud or widespread. Middle of Southstand, directly behind the goal, row 20.. Honestly, I could kind of hear it, but it was not loud at all, certainly not widespread. What was more apparent was more of a gasp when Sanchez was hooked - just because hooking a sub is always a bad look. Perhaps it was that the Mics on the day picked up something that made it seem louder than it appeared to me anyways.. Don't get me wrong, there was some booing, but don't try and make out it was everyone... For instance when Ndombele got boo'd that was MUCH louder and I admit I took part and would do that again under the same circumstances. Only time I have ever boo'd one of "ours" and he completely deserved it.

For those eluding that the majority of supporters were booing, it simply is NOT true. Not sure what the idea is here, but accusing of whole stadium of booing on Saturday is just not correct. I will not even comment on the accusation of Racism, that is a joke and so wide of the mark its fanciful (certainly from within the Stadium.) Maybe it was loud elsewhere and I was just in a dead spot - don't know ???

Not sure what the agenda is with trying to vilify our supporters that attend games, maybe it happens on other forums as well, but it does seem to be increasing round these parts....

I agree it should have stopped when he came onto the pitch but perhaps it was the crowd’s way of constantly reminding the manager that it was a poor choice of sub to make?
It’s a bad look for any club’s fans to be openly booing individual players. I just think here that it was the seething masses showing their disapproval of what was happening in front of them. A game that was in the bag, giving way to the players going into their shells, giving way to a defensive/negative substitution when we should have been turning the screw on a relegation struggler.
Maybe I’m being too kind and he was targeted because of who he is- a player not good enough for spurs. I’d prefer to believe that it was a build up of frustration that had grown during the game culminating in anger at a very poor decision from the bench that the fans were not going to let the manager forget

I'll just repeat my mantra......

Pissed at the owner? Chant at the owner....
Pissed at the manager? Chant at the manager.....

Make your message clear = minimise collateral damage.

Anyone else that was actually in the Stadium like me.. Did you think the booing was that loud or widespread. Middle of Southstand, directly behind the goal, row 20.. Honestly, I could kind of hear it, but it was not loud at all, certainly not widespread. What was more apparent was more of a gasp when Sanchez was hooked - just because hooking a sub is always a bad look. Perhaps it was that the Mics on the day picked up something that made it seem louder than it appeared to me anyways.. Don't get me wrong, there was some booing, but don't try and make out it was everyone... For instance when Ndombele got boo'd that was MUCH louder and I admit I took part and would do that again under the same circumstances. Only time I have ever boo'd one of "ours" and he completely deserved it.

For those eluding that the majority of supporters were booing, it simply is NOT true. Not sure what the idea is here, but accusing of whole stadium of booing on Saturday is just not correct.

Can't say I've seen anyone here peddling that specific notion tbh.

I will not even comment on the accusation of Racism, that is a joke and so wide of the mark its fanciful (certainly from within the Stadium.) Maybe it was loud elsewhere and I was just in a dead spot - don't know ???

Not sure what the agenda is with trying to vilify our supporters that attend games, maybe it happens on other forums as well, but it does seem to be increasing round these parts....

A number of our fans acted cunty; no more, no less.

It's just sad, because most of us would like to think we're better than what played out on Sat.

Can't say I've seen anyone here peddling that specific notion tbh.

A number of our fans acted cunty; no more, no less.

It's just sad, because most of us would like to think we're better than what played out on Sat.

I can only say what my experience by being there and those around me. I am not interested in the Twitter trolls and those trying to make something seem bigger than it was.

This was posted as the opening statement just a few post above..

"Our fanbase create a toxic level environment"

That is just not true. For what its worth I thought it would turn toxic and i mean REALLY toxic against Levy, but as I posted elsewhere, there seems to be little appetite to do that within the ground, certainly with any mass participation. There are small numbers trying to get a chant going, but it just dies out with people muttering and shaking their heads..

Booing individual players is not the way to go, whether it be 1 person or 62,000.

Havent had a chance to watch the game back yet, so will be interesting to see how loud the booing came across. I guess they will pop the game on Spursplay at some point.

Havent had a chance to watch the game back yet, so will be interesting to see how loud the booing came across. I guess they will pop the game on Spursplay at some point.
there were maybe a couple after the 1st goal. Then it was very loud after the 2nd.

On the broadcast, we couldn’t hear any boos during the substitution unless I missed them.

I can only say what my experience by being there and those around me. I am not interested in the Twitter trolls and those trying to make something seem bigger than it was.

This was posted as the opening statement just a few post above..

"Our fanbase create a toxic level environment"

That is just not true.

This is where the quote button is useful; cos I can't see that phrase or the context it comes from....

Verbatum; "Our fanbase" = / = "The whole stadium" though.

For what its worth I thought it would turn toxic and i mean REALLY toxic against Levy, but as I posted elsewhere, there seems to be little appetite to do that within the ground, certainly with any mass participation.

I'm curious about that too. There is an evident disconnect between the internet noise and the paying punters.... (Also see the extremely sparse attendance of any protest/demonstrations.)

There are small numbers trying to get a chant going, but it just dies out with people muttering and shaking their heads..

Booing individual players is not the way to go, whether it be 1 person or 62,000.

Agreed.

Spare yourself the pain, mate...... :(

The booing wasn't universal; but it was loud enough to be heard on TV.

Last edited:
there were maybe a couple after the 1st goal. Then it was very loud after the 2nd.

It has to be significnatly more than 1 or 2 voices for it to be heard on TV, mate.

On the broadcast, we couldn’t hear any boos during the substitution unless I missed them.

You missed them then.

Boo-ing when he came on.
......And he was booed in possession on a few occasions (which is how you know it was targetted AT him).

Booing after goals are conceded isn't the booing of Dav in question.

Back
Top Bottom