Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

In an era when English teams just are not doing well in the CL, winning the competition isn't on my mind. I just want a group with a couple of big names as it'll be more memorable and I think the players might raise their game and not repeat the dreadful performances of 16/17. The campaign last season was a total wash-out, just a glorified Europa League draw and no one seemed up for it.

Wouldn't be very fun to have them two years of a row, but got to have a better chance against them than Real/Juve/Munich you'd expect.

By the time the vultures have finished, Monaco will be back to being the team we smashed in the EL the season before.

That was their big problem - came second every year and got very tough draws as a result. Obviously you can get a tougher draw from 1st as they did last year or an easier one from second, but there's no doubting which position you want to be in. Especially as you're guaranteed home advantage for the second leg if you win the group.

Thought the goons won their group this year, hence the extra comedy that they still drew Bayern and got annihilated by the same score as last year... TWICE!

By the time the vultures have finished, Monaco will be back to being the team we smashed in the EL the season before.

Depends whether they re-invest and how well surely? Definitely a bit of an unknown quantity though and one of the more desirable Pot 1 options in terms of progressing.

Thought the goons won their group this year, hence the extra comedy that they still drew Bayern and got annihilated by the same score as last year... TWICE!

Yep, that was bad luck this year, but they have no right to complain with it being the first time in ages they'd won their group.

I saw that Utd winning the Europa League pushed is into a lower pot due to their coefficient...I thought the EL winners only got a playoff place!

:pochsulk:

Depends whether they re-invest and how well surely? Definitely a bit of an unknown quantity though and one of the more desirable Pot 1 options in terms of progressing.

Just a prediction... Spending money well ain't easy. Neither is gelling lots of players at once.

Sound familiar? :baletroll:

Yep, that was bad luck this year, but they have no right to complain with it being the first time in ages they'd won their group.

I lol'd.

Man U is what less than a yard longer and less than a yard wider.
I did say 'not much bigger', a yard extra in length than some of those listed and width in others? Hulls is the same length and a yard less in width.
Man City's is actually bigger and we've not lost there in 2 seasons.

Did you read the link? City and United are the same. And those are still smaller than Wembley. Not much...and there is a question whether it means something or not.

A good thread on some of the issues facing PL clubs in the CL. I think when you add in a winter break, it makes it very, very hard for PL clubs to compete:

Not sure Willy G has got it right?

Especially when we have experienced CL players...

:tobyarm::dembele::llorishowudoin::vertna::wanyama::eriksenlol:

Well he was right last season but they are all a year older and more experienced. Many of our first 11 did not play due to injury or rotation which may not happen this year. These comments are a year too late and if we get a reasonable draw there is no reason we should not get through the group stages.

Well he was right last season but they are all a year older and more experienced. Many of our first 11 did not play due to injury or rotation which may not happen this year. These comments are a year too late and if we get a reasonable draw there is no reason we should not get through the group stages.

Just seems odd he's commenting now another year down the line. Happy for people to write us off as per usual, let's build a siege mentality.

Balls deep for this one this year. None of this going out in the group stage. Am desperate to get further than Woolwich have done in the past 9 years. It will reinforce how far ahead of them we are now & our superior European pedigree. I still think our league form is likely to take a hit with the Wembley factor- it's a cup final for every team going to Wembley. I imagine even the "lesser teams" will put on a display- in fact probably more so than the bigger teams because for some players/fans it may be the only time they go to Wembley in their career/lifetime.

So I'd really like us to go for this one, & as far as we can, fielding our strongest team. And the FA cup. I think we can consolidate a top 4 but I'd be surprised if we equal or better 2nd spot this time around.

. I imagine even the "lesser teams" will put on a display- in fact probably more so than the bigger teams because for some players/fans it may be the only time they go to Wembley in their career/lifetime.

Is it not likely that Chelsea will be playing at Wembley after us whilst Stamford Bridge is redeveloped?

Back
Top Bottom