Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

I may be missing something, but I have us as the first team in pot 3 if United lose. Therefore, we would only need to pass one of Sevilla or Napoli and would need one of them to lose, not both.
Ah yeah I think you're right. Just to clear this up once and for all...

Here are the club rankings, taken from the UEFA website.
UVbp2Rd.png

So, there are 19 teams ahead of us in the rankings. Of those, 6 have qualified for pot 1 as league winners, and 4 definitely haven't qualified at all. That leaves 9 teams. Of those, 6 have definitely qualified already, and will definitely be in pot 2. These are Barca, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund, Man City and Porto. Then there are 3 teams left who could take the last 2 spots in pot 2 ahead of us: Sevilla, Man U and Napoli. Sevilla will need to win a play-off to qualify, and Man U obviously need to win tonight. Napoli can qualify in two ways: if they win away at Sampdoria and Roma drop points at home to Genoa on Sunday they'll finish second in the league and qualify, or if, as is likely, that doesn't happen then they'll finish third and have to win a play-off.

For us to get into pot 2, we need no more than 1 of those 3 to qualify. So chances are, we'll be left hanging until the play-off round is over until we know which pot we're in.

Which explains why Man City got tough draws several years running, and they've recently changed the seeding system to reward champions and make it more likely for big teams to face off in the group stage...
I thought Woolwich got better draw, in a better pot than City, eleven though City finished above them and Woolwich pipped fourth. They complained.
They haven't won a title for 3 years. Yet they have consistently qualified for top 4. So even though we finished above them last year, and this they get pot 2.
If that not rewarding the monied clubs who usually finish in top 4 what is.

I thought Woolwich got better draw, in a better pot than City, eleven though City finished above them and Woolwich pipped fourth. They complained.
They haven't won a title for 3 years. Yet they have consistently qualified for top 4. So even though we finished above them last year, and this they get pot 2.
If that not rewarding the monied clubs who usually finish in top 4 what is.
Corruption to favour the "big" clubs, not on last seasons merit

UVbp2Rd.png

So, there are 19 teams ahead of us in the rankings. Of those, 6 have qualified for pot 1 as league winners, and 4 definitely haven't qualified at all. That leaves 9 teams. Of those, 6 have definitely qualified already, and will definitely be in pot 2. These are Barca, Atletico, PSG, Dortmund, Man City and Porto. Then there are 3 teams left who could take the last 2 spots in pot 2 ahead of us: Sevilla, Man U and Napoli. Sevilla will need to win a play-off to qualify, and Man U obviously need to win tonight. Napoli can qualify in two ways: if they win away at Sampdoria and Roma drop points at home to Genoa on Sunday they'll finish second in the league and qualify, or if, as is likely, that doesn't happen then they'll finish third and have to win a play-off.

For us to get into pot 2, we need no more than 1 of those 3 to qualify. So chances are, we'll be left hanging until the play-off round is over until we know which pot we're in.

West Ham one place behind Astra Gogo :eriksenlol:

Rolling 5 year performance in European competitions, plus a little bit based on overall strength of the league in Europe. See Member associations - UEFA rankings - Club coefficients – UEFA.com for details. United are still helped massively by their 12/13 and 13/14 European campaigns.
So you get more points for CL last 16 than EL last 16. So it favours the regular participants in CL which usually are the same monied clubs. Also getting knocked out in the group stages and into last 16 EL could also be seen as a way for the usual to make more points.
We got 19k points for reaching QF EL & City got 10k for not making it out of the group stages CL12/13

UVbp2Rd.png

The past 3 seasons really fucked our points!! Schalke, Leverkusen, Shakthar we should overtake but very hard to compete with others given the position they have with their domestic league and usually always qualify. Mind you other clubs below us are surprising e.g. Basel, Monaco and Roma. Also, just goes to show the impact of missing out in consecutive years when you look at Milan and Inter (no wonder they are backing this "prestigious" weighting to come in).

We just need to do better next season and get out of the group to get our points up. At least Liverpool are below us.
Exactly. I thought we would comfortably finish in the top 2 of our CL group.
Play like we can & we should qualify from any group.
But obviously I'd still prefer to be in the weakest group possible.

People banging on how pot 3 that we are going to be in will hamper our chances....Mm have we got a realistic chance of winning the fecking thing???? Sorry to be a party poop but I wasn't counting on us doing that! Fact we are in it at all is a bonus!

Yeah, to be honest anything past round of 16 is a success in my eyes.

But getting out of the group stage would be so much fun. The knockouts are the best and the further you go, the more intense it becomes.

does it really matter what Pot you are in?

as Monaco showed, more about how good your present side is rather than historically

Back
Top Bottom