Tottenham's 17/18 Champions league campaign

• The Fighting Cock is a forum for fans of Tottenham Hotspur Football Club. Here you can discuss Spurs latest matches, our squad, tactics and any transfer news surrounding the club. Registration gives you access to all our forums (including 'Off Topic' discussion) and removes most of the adverts (you can remove them all via an account upgrade). You're here now, you might as well...

Get involved!

Latest Spurs videos from Sky Sports

does it really matter what Pot you are in?

as Monaco showed, more about how good your present side is rather than historically
Well yeah because the higher pot you're in, better the group. Monaco were in pot 4 last year but got really lucky they got the easiest team in Pot 1, Leverkusen and a team that underperformed massively. If they had got Bayern, Madrid etc we might not have seen that they had the capability to go as far as they did.

Well yeah because the higher pot you're in, better the group. Monaco were in pot 4 last year but got really lucky they got the easiest team in Pot 1, Leverkusen and a team that underperformed massively. If they had got Bayern, Madrid etc we might not have seen that they had the capability to go as far as they did.

IF you're better than the teams in your 'pot' it doesn't matter.

they were better than Bayern etc etc

People banging on how pot 3 that we are going to be in will hamper our chances....Mm have we got a realistic chance of winning the fecking thing???? Sorry to be a party poop but I wasn't counting on us doing that! Fact we are in it at all is a bonus!

I agree we have zero chance of winning the CL next season or the year after. However a few years ago I said that we had zero chance of winning the Premier league again ever. The possibility took years to achieve but it is now possible.
As far as the CL is concerned we should aim to get out of the group, thus improving our points total and helping us get better draws in future. If (and I know it is a massive if ) we can carry on qualifying, continue to improve, and with extra finance from playing at new WHL then who knows what is possible in the future?

I'd love Barca in our group and then 2 teams we could expect to finish above. Would be great to see just where we stand against one of the elite sides.

Dream group, realistic chance of progression but with the bonus of testing ourselves against Barca and seeing this generations best player in Messi.
Would love to have seen us play Barca with this team at WHL .
Lucky enough to see them last time and there's wasn't much in it. Even away.
Then again I don't think they were as dominant at that time and their league was a bit more competitive

does it really matter what Pot you are in?

as Monaco showed, more about how good your present side is rather than historically

In terms of the quality of team you draw, the average in Pot 2 is PSG or Dortmund. In Pot 3 it's Dynamo Kiev or Olympiakos. Of course you have to play well anyway, but Monaco were very lucky with the draw and it does make a big difference to your odds of success. Remember as well that whoever wins the group has a big advantage in the next round too.

stop worrying about other teams and have belief and confidence in your own

pot 2 pot 3 pot 4 who gives a fuck

and no Monaco weren't lucky, their present side was better than the seeding.

Monaco were a good team and that was proved as the tournament progressed they were there on merit! But who before the draw was made said, wow we've drawn Monaco? Not a lot! As for Leverkusen and cska underwhelming to say the least and the fact we didn't turn up didn't help! This time round playing Juventus,Bayern would do fine but this time have a go and if we get smoked 5-1 home and away it's no the end of the world:pochsmirk:

When we made it to the QFs I seem to remember that we had a really tough draw, the highest ranked clubs that we could face in the pots? It was certainly a much tougher group than last years and yet we made it to the QFs beating good teams on the way and creating memories I will never forget. I'd much rather that than get a shit group that looks like a Europa League group and fail to get up for it and get knocked out in the group stages. I want the toughest group we can get, the absolute biggest clubs.

Agreed I'd like the toughest group possible and for us to really compete. Had some big games this season the team are beginning to thrive under pressure, all about progression and improvement. Bring them on.

I agree we have zero chance of winning the CL next season or the year after. However a few years ago I said that we had zero chance of winning the Premier league again ever. The possibility took years to achieve but it is now possible.
As far as the CL is concerned we should aim to get out of the group, thus improving our points total and helping us get better draws in future. If (and I know it is a massive if ) we can carry on qualifying, continue to improve, and with extra finance from playing at new WHL then who knows what is possible in the future?
Zero chance?? It may be unlikely but our chances are above zero - are you confusing us with the woolwich?:dembelelol:

Yeah just ask Woolwich :dembelelol::eriksenlol:

That was their big problem - came second every year and got very tough draws as a result. Obviously you can get a tougher draw from 1st as they did last year or an easier one from second, but there's no doubting which position you want to be in. Especially as you're guaranteed home advantage for the second leg if you win the group.

Back
Top Bottom